Would I need a headphone amp like the Fiio E9 for the Denon D2000?
May 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TheSacredSoul

New Head-Fier
Buying the D2000 soon and hear that that it performs a lot better with an headphone amp. Currently using the Auzentech Prelude soundcard. Do I need the E9? I do not need it to be unbearably loud. Just wondering if it brings about tighter bass control, better SQ etc... And if I need the E9, how do I set it up? 3.5jack from Prelude to the E9? And also, would I need the E7 to pair with the E9? I am sorry about the number of questions. Just want to be sure. :xf_eek:

May 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Buying the D2000 soon and hear that that it performs a lot better with an headphone amp. Currently using the Auzentech Prelude soundcard. Do I need the E9? I do not need it to be unbearably loud. Just wondering if it brings about tighter bass control, better SQ etc... And if I need the E9, how do I set it up? 3.5jack from Prelude to the E9? And also, would I need the E7 to pair with the E9? I am sorry about the number of questions. Just want to be sure.
redface.gif

Need it? Not really, but I definitely suggest an amp. I especially liked it with the Schiit Asgard. Better controlled bass, less recessed mids and smoother treble.

When I listened to the D2000 with the Asgard I wasn't hearing those recessed mids everyone was talking about...

May 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 10
I put you on the fiio e17 if you can find it at retail and not $50 over. It's a good pairing for the d2k...

May 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 10
I own the E9 and its a nice match for the Denons. 

May 16, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Buying the D2000 soon and hear that that it performs a lot better with an headphone amp. Currently using the Auzentech Prelude soundcard. Do I need the E9? I do not need it to be unbearably loud. Just wondering if it brings about tighter bass control, better SQ etc... And if I need the E9, how do I set it up? 3.5jack from Prelude to the E9? And also, would I need the E7 to pair with the E9? I am sorry about the number of questions. Just want to be sure.
redface.gif

The Fiio E9 has an impedance of 10-Ohms, which means it better for driving headphones that are 100-Ohms or higher, but I'm sure that there are many that are happy with the E9 driving headphones that are under 100-Ohms.
As the Denon AD-D2000 is only 25-Ohms, something like the Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier (low impedance) might be better for driving the AH-D2000.
Or maybe the O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier (low impedance).

May 17, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 10
Correct me if I am mistaken but the E11 cant be used while charging right? I am looking for something that can just sit on my table and can be used anytime using AC power. And not too expensive. Fiio has a few choices but I am unsure which to choose. Also, from my limited understanding, I gather a DAC is like an external soundcard so I wouldnt need it right? Since I already have a dedicated soundcard (Prelude) in my system. An amp is sufficient?

May 17, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Correct me if I am mistaken but the E11 cant be used while charging right? I am looking for something that can just sit on my table and can be used anytime using AC power. And not too expensive. Fiio has a few choices but I am unsure which to choose. Also, from my limited understanding, I gather a DAC is like an external sound card so I wouldn't need it right? Since I already have a dedicated sound card (Prelude) in my system. An amp is sufficient?

The E11 can not be used while charging, but for $12 you can get two extra batteries and a battery charger off eBay.
You want something that's AC powered, but not too expensive, but I'm guess something that is good at driving a 25-Ohm headphone like the Denon AH-D2000
The E9 is AC powered, low cost ($115), but has an output impedance of 10-Ohms, which means it's best at driving headphones that are 100-Ohms or higher.
The E11 has a much lower output impedance, so is better at driving low Ohm headphones.
A DAC is not really an external sound card, a DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter, it changes a digital signal (zeros & ones) to an analog signal (wave).
But it just happens that you can plug some headphones into the analog signal and it will drive some headphones.
Your Prelude sound card already has a DAC built into it,
Lots people plug their headphone straight into the Prelude.
Would the Prelude do a good job of driving the Denon AH-D2000 (25-Ohm), not sure?

May 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 10
The E11 can not be used while charging, but for $12 you can get two extra batteries and a battery charger off eBay.
You want something that's AC powered, but not too expensive, but I'm guess something that is good at driving a 25-Ohm headphone like the Denon AH-D2000
The E9 is AC powered, low cost ($115), but has an output impedance of 10-Ohms, which means it's best at driving headphones that are 100-Ohms or higher.
The E11 has a much lower output impedance, so is better at driving low Ohm headphones.
A DAC is not really an external sound card, a DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter, it changes a digital signal (zeros & ones) to an analog signal (wave).
But it just happens that you can plug some headphones into the analog signal and it will drive some headphones.
Your Prelude sound card already has a DAC built into it,
Lots people plug their headphone straight into the Prelude.
Would the Prelude do a good job of driving the Denon AH-D2000 (25-Ohm), not sure?

Thank you! That was really helpful! Gained better understanding of the whole setup. I'll get the D2000 and pair it with my prelude first. If I find the sound disappointing or lacking, then I'll invest in a proper amp. Thanks for your advice! One last thing, to switch from my speakers to the D2000, I will have to manually unplug my speakers and connect the D2Ks and connect back the speakers when I want to use them? I considered a splitter but they apparently lower sound quality.

May 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Thank you! That was really helpful! Gained better understanding of the whole setup. I'll get the D2000 and pair it with my prelude first. If I find the sound disappointing or lacking, then I'll invest in a proper amp. Thanks for your advice! One last thing, to switch from my speakers to the D2000, I will have to manually unplug my speakers and connect the D2Ks and connect back the speakers when I want to use them? I considered a splitter but they apparently lower sound quality.

Should be able to hook up the prelude's internal headphone connector to the headphone jack on the front of the computer case.
And leave the speakers connected to the back plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back