would i like the HD 800 s based on the following?
Apr 9, 2020 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

angelus55

100+ Head-Fier
if i love the HD 6xx/650 and the audeze lcd2 classic and only just like the hifiman sundara as the treble was a bit much but not as much of an issue as the dt 990 is in terms of treble and also dont like the dt 990 becuase of too much treble, will i like the HD800 s iyo?

Unfortunately ever since i got the lcd2 clasic i have been having ear aches every so often, and im not 100% sure if its the headphones, but the only time i seem to have ear aches is when i use them for a few hours at a time, i think maybe its the slight preasure from the seal they give, and now that i got a haircut were my sides of my head around my ear are buzzed, i notice the seal even more, and when the pads get sweaty/sticky, the seal is even more pronounced i feel, and i have not had this problem with any headphone prior to this, i have sold my hd 6xx but still own the dt 990 and i have to use them now when my ears starts hurting even though they dont sound as good and i dont like the pronounced treble in them.

so the only other headphone i know from researching them back when i got my lcd2 classics to try next if this problem persists is the HD 800 s and focal clear as they seems to be something i would love i think from reading about it, and it would not have the preasure effect of the lcd2 classics

please and thanks

also i know this probably sounds weird that i am having this ear problem, but i have always have been prone to having ear aches and getting swimmers ear even just from using the shower sometimes since i was little. so like i said im not 100% sure it the headphones, but at the same time it only seems to flare up and be an issue when i use the lcd2 classics and not the dt990 that i own or hd 6xx that i have owned

i use my headphones as my primary audio source, so for everything from music, media, to video games

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 14
Reasons not to get the HD800 which I’ve owned:
1. Too large
2. Too bright having too much treble
3. Hard to drive right
4. Expensive
5. Needs mods to sound the best

Sure it sounds alright with all the mods and a decent tube amp, but why fuss with it. You are on track that your ears may be sensitive to sealed headphones.

The Focal Clear and Aeon Flow Open would be headphones to try for sure.

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 14
also i know this probably sounds weird that i am having this ear problem, but i have always have been prone to having ear aches and getting swimmers ear even just from using the shower sometimes since i was little. so like i said im not 100% sure it the headphones, but at the same time it only seems to flare up and be an issue when i use the lcd2 classics and not the dt990 that i own or hd 6xx that i have owned

i use my headphones as my primary audio source, so for everything from music, media, to video games

idk if it's so weird- are you describing an ear/hearing fatigue kind of feeling? I may have had a similar if slighter issue with the three planars i've owned (i.e. used for more than 15 minutes in a demo). Not exactly a large sample size so I can't say it's definitely planar thing, however I can't recall having similar (non-ergonomic) issue with dynamic cans, even w/ massive drivers like Sony z7 (though it is rare for me to wear any headphone more than an hour or two at a time).

Cant' really offer good comparisons of your listed cans, but IMO Focal Clear is an easy rec as an all-rounder if you don't mind the price and aren't super picky about sub bass or soundstage. If you like more relaxed/darker signature might consider researching ZMF's dynamic driver models like the Atticus/Auteur (maybe Aeolus but I haven't tried).

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 14
if i love the HD 6xx/650 and the audeze lcd2 classic and only just like the hifiman sundara as the treble was a bit much but not as much of an issue as the dt 990 is in terms of treble and also dont like the dt 990 becuase of too much treble, will i like the HD800 s iyo?

Unfortunately ever since i got the lcd2 clasic i have been having ear aches every so often, and im not 100% sure if its the headphones, but the only time i seem to have ear aches is when i use them for a few hours at a time, i think maybe its the slight preasure from the seal they give, and now that i got a haircut were my sides of my head around my ear are buzzed, i notice the seal even more, and when the pads get sweaty/sticky, the seal is even more pronounced i feel, and i have not had this problem with any headphone prior to this, i have sold my hd 6xx but still own the dt 990 and i have to use them now when my ears starts hurting even though they dont sound as good and i dont like the pronounced treble in them.

so the only other headphone i know from researching them back when i got my lcd2 classics to try next if this problem persists is the HD 800 s and focal clear as they seems to be something i would love i think from reading about it, and it would not have the preasure effect of the lcd2 classics

please and thanks

I've gone through the same experience, and I can easily say based on what you have stated that HD800 will not suit you.

Reasons not to get the HD800 which I’ve owned:
1. Too large
2. Too bright having too much treble
3. Hard to drive right
4. Expensive
5. Needs mods to sound the best

Sure it sounds alright with all the mods and a decent tube amp, but why fuss with it. You are on track that your ears may be sensitive to sealed headphones.

The Focal Clear and Aeon Flow Open would be headphones to try for sure.
These are all the good reasons why. I've tried a lot of solid-state amps, and HD800 just doesn't sound as good if not using rare well suited amps like ZDS. Any neutral amp will not bring out the best of HD800. HD800 needs an amp that pushes a lot of bass and mids to level out the treble emphasis. A real neutral amp will recess the mids, and lots of amps tend to output too moderate of bass that it's not worth it.

What I would do is, get a Bottlehead Crack, and enjoy the 6XX/650 even more.

Focal Clear is much more consistent of a headphone, and might be worth demo'ing.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 14
These complaints are the same as they were for the HD800. Someone is confusing that with the HD800S. That's what the OP asked about.

thanks, i have not tried the hd 800 or the s version before but from what i read, they seem to be decribing the older non "s" version, but i may be wrong as i dont know all that much that yall probably know

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Keep HD650. Sell LCD-2. Skip HD800. Investigate Clear.

Apr 12, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 14
thanks, i have not tried the hd 800 or the s version before but from what i read, they seem to be decribing the older non "s" version, but i may be wrong as i dont know all that much that yall probably know

Yep. The major complaint with the original HD800 was light in bass and a high treble spike. The HD800s addressed both, which means many of the above complaints are invalid. With the right headphone amplifier, even the original HD800 could be tamed, but the HD800s did it within the headphone itself.

Now, that still does not mean that you will like the headphone. The HD650 is a butter knife compared to the surgical slice of an HD800(s). However, some consider the HD650 as veiled and dark, so the HD800(s) is a worthy alternative. It also happens to have one of the best soundstages available anywhere. One other thing to consider is that the HD800 is so perfect as a fundamental headphone transducer, that equalization is ridiculously easy. The original HD800 was perhaps the easiest headphone I've ever heard that could take corrective bass equalization. It's essentially why, with the right headphone amplifier, the response is world-class. Meanwhile, almost nothing degrades the soundstage - right amplifier or not.

All that said, if you really like the HD650 (assuming without a great amp) and LCD2 classic, the HD800(s) is probably not going to be your cup of tea.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 14
At the risk of going against the trend .... i disagree with quite a lot of what was written in this thread.

In my opinion the HD800S is still by today's standards a really good headphone and compared to what you pay for its competitors - as silly as it sounds - almost a bargain price/performance wise. Yeah the sound is dependent on amp and dac synergy but that's true for all headphones.
I also think comfort (including weight), soundstage, detail, coherence and natural timbre are major factors of a headphone, and these are all areas the HD800S excel at ... much in contrast to many of its competitors.
The Focal Clear is often mentioned as a competitor or "better" headphone than the HD800(S), but I still struggle to understand why. It's soundstage is tiny compared to the Sennheiser (and compared to many other headphones - even the HD600 sound spacious compared to the focals), the Clear's timbre sounds more sterile to me and even though comfort is not bad, its not HD800-level. If I had to choose between the HD800S and any focal headphone, including the Utopia, I'd go for the HD800S without a second of hesitation. Not saying the focals don't have their merits, but in my opition they are nowhere close to the "good allrounders" which they are often praised at.

I personally had my first love story with the HD580/600 and my second one with the HD800 (modded and unmodded) and found and still find it a very worthy upgrade - so that may as well be the case for you.
In the end when it comes to the +1000$ headphone area a lot is about personal preference, music choice, synergy with other components like amp, dac etc. so my best advice would be: take everything people say here about those headphones with a grain of salt (my comments included :) ) and try any way possible to listen to the headphones yourself before buying them.

Best of luck and lots of fun on your headphone journey :)

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 14
I really like the HD 800 S paired with ZMF's Pendant amp. ZMF's 2K Copper cable adds a touch of warmth that I need to fully enjoy things. The ZMF bundle with upgraded tubes costs 130% of the Sennheiser's list price. The Pendant amp is sourced from ampsandsound. Sennheiser's HD 820 is equally awesome with the same setup.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 14

I don't have a 650/6XX, I have a pair of 600s and 800s (not the S version). I also have some LCD models.

I think the LCD-2C is a great compliment to the 600 and could be for the 800. Although the LCD are better all around headphones the Sennheisers (especially the 800/800S) can be more comfortable for a lot of people. They're very light and have an airy feeling very unlike the LCD which you kind of sit in.

The 800 doesn't have too much of anything, it is very well behaved. But it does have a treble spike that makes me not want to listen to them with some female vocals without EQ. For me the 800 is not a general purpose headphone, it is not a daily driver. It's something you put on when you want to listen to orchestral music, acoustic jazz and hear beautiful balance and clarity. It's revealing, a little cold, and not friendly to poor recordings. In a lot of ways it's a polar opposite to the LCDs. But that's why it's great to have sometimes.

To me the 800 is a great set of cans but it is not the most broadly useful headphone. Depending on what you like to listen to you might absolutely need to have one in your stable or you might not miss it at all.

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 14
I don't have a 650/6XX, I have a pair of 600s and 800s (not the S version). I also have some LCD models.

I think the LCD-2C is a great compliment to the 600 and could be for the 800. Although the LCD are better all around headphones the Sennheisers (especially the 800/800S) can be more comfortable for a lot of people. They're very light and have an airy feeling very unlike the LCD which you kind of sit in.

The 800 doesn't have too much of anything, it is very well behaved. But it does have a treble spike that makes me not want to listen to them with some female vocals without EQ. For me the 800 is not a general purpose headphone, it is not a daily driver. It's something you put on when you want to listen to orchestral music, acoustic jazz and hear beautiful balance and clarity. It's revealing, a little cold, and not friendly to poor recordings. In a lot of ways it's a polar opposite to the LCDs. But that's why it's great to have sometimes.

To me the 800 is a great set of cans but it is not the most broadly useful headphone. Depending on what you like to listen to you might absolutely need to have one in your stable or you might not miss it at all.

Really interesting ... for me it's quite the opposite: I consider the HD800 my "daily driver", my all around headphones and apart from my stax would probably miss them the most. I also never thought they are cold or sterile, also really like it with female vocals - might be the amp/dac combination that plays a role in that too.
The LCD3 however I only use for rock music and similar ... and mostly get tired of it after about half an hour - mostly because of its weight but also because I miss the clarity or my usual "go to" headphones.
Interesting how different that different people's perception is. :)

I agree though that it's great to have both and that they are pretty much polar opposites :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 14
I assume that the ear aches comes from wearing the LCD2C, it's true that despite their amazing pads they are not a pleasure to wear for hours. As you suggested, HD800 and Clear are some great options. Maybe consider the Dharma D1000 too ! I chose it over HD800 for it's amazing sound and I found him even more enjoyable and confortable than the HD800 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back