would grado should i buy?
Apr 21, 2007 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

EvilNOD

New Head-Fier
rite now i'm using my super-fi 5 pro at home. only problem is.. it hurt my ear when i using long hours. and after listen to SQ of super-fi, other headphone i have seems kinda... suck. i do still like my sony mdr888 sharp clean bass, but is SP cable so it aren't good for home use either! (was using it with my MD player b4 getting ipod, MD come with that little remote thingie so SP is better)

i'm thinking about grado since i have yet see a single bad review which is not easy nowaday in internet age. it come down to which grado i gonna get.

it will be plug into pc x-fi i/o
mostly oldies mp3 like bb king, eric clapton, eagles.. you know.. guitar, band stuff..
bass would need tobe as good as super-fi, not necessary tobe heavier but shaper, cleaner would be nice.

does x-fi got enuff power to drive 325i/225 with out any amp? or should i go with sr125 which i belive dont require any amp?

think i will spend somewhere around 200$, wouldn't care if its use as long as still in good condition

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 19
Alessandro MS1 and, if necessary, Sennheiser HD414 pads for them (comfort thing).

The MS1 is just a tweaked Grado, and has quite a following here.

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 19
I can say both good things about the SR225 and the SR325i

While I loved the SR225, I think that the SR325i improve upon them in every possible way. . and I've only been listening to them out of my iPod.

Most Grado headphones (the ones i've owned [sr60/225/325i] sound just fine out of a portable device, or a headphone jack.

welcome to head-fi. . and more importantly welcome to Grado-Fi!

Apr 21, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 19
Get the nicest one you can affort
rs1smile.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What tweak please ??

I would like to buy a 325I and change the cable by a silver dragon that I have at home.
the woods cups for grado improve the sound or is just for look ? else I can buy a MS1+wood cups and recable...

Thanks

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by siezien /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What tweak please ??

I would like to buy a 325I and change the cable by a silver dragon that I have at home.
the woods cups for grado improve the sound or is just for look ? else I can buy a MS1+wood cups and recable...

Thanks

The Alessandros are basically just another line of Grados sold under the Alessandro name which are designed to be more neutral and analytical and a bit less "fun" and exciting than the average Grado. A lot of folks feel that the Alessandros are then better able to play a wider range of music getting more toward the classical side of things.

I don't know if it's safe to say that the wooden housings "improve" the sound, but I imagine they do "change" it somewhat and give the models that were designed for them the sound that John Grado was looking for.

A lot of people will argue that changing housings on MS-1 or SR-325i and swapping cables are a waste of money and the sound improvement, if any, will not be worth the expense. But I figure that we're all here for the fun and if it's something we want to do, then sure; why not! Just have to be sure of what to expect and understand the costs involved and have realistic expectations. I have to admit though; that I am really impressed with the looks of many of the conversions with such a variety of woods available!

And in the case of the SR-325i or the Alessandro MS2i, the weight savings is substantial, and that could be important since a number of folks do have a problem with the weight of the aluminum housings.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 19
Buy a sturdy chair, make sure you have no drinks or food around your system, tell everyone else to leave the room, and then get a pair of SR-80s and hold on for dear life.

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alessandro MS1 and, if necessary, Sennheiser HD414 pads for them (comfort thing).

Well, its a bit more than a tweaked Grado, because it actually uses completely different drivers than any model in Grado's line.

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the nicest one you can affort
rs1smile.gif

totally agreed, it actually helps you save a lot!

my friend is a Grado lover and owned almost every un-limited model, he ends up with RS-1 in 2005. He told it was a totally waste of money and time to claim up the ladders, and you'll buy the best ones eventually.
rolleyes.gif

I'm aiming GS-1000s btw, once I buy them, I'll think about no upgrade in next many year s
orphsmile.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought, from reading the ms1 fanclub thread, that the ms1 uses the same drivers as sr125 ?

Read the John Grado interview, there I believe is where he states that the Grado and Alessandro use different drivers.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilNOD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rite now i'm using my super-fi 5 pro at home. only problem is.. it hurt my ear when i using long hours. and after listen to SQ of super-fi, other headphone i have seems kinda... suck. i do still like my sony mdr888 sharp clean bass, but is SP cable so it aren't good for home use either! (was using it with my MD player b4 getting ipod, MD come with that little remote thingie so SP is better)

i'm thinking about grado since i have yet see a single bad review which is not easy nowaday in internet age. it come down to which grado i gonna get.

it will be plug into pc x-fi i/o
mostly oldies mp3 like bb king, eric clapton, eagles.. you know.. guitar, band stuff..
bass would need tobe as good as super-fi, not necessary tobe heavier but shaper, cleaner would be nice.

does x-fi got enuff power to drive 325i/225 with out any amp? or should i go with sr125 which i belive dont require any amp?

think i will spend somewhere around 200$, wouldn't care if its use as long as still in good condition

I'd say that your sound card will do a fine job at powering the 225's or 325i's, but if you're set on that price range then I suggest looking into the MS2i, which costs the same as the 325i. Also keep in mind that they aren't the most comfortable headphones ever made, and if you found you couldn't listen to the UE's for long hours then you might run into the same problem with Grado's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back