Would Denon AH-D500 headphones suit my system better…?
Jun 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rob Goodison

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

After a little advice…

My system consists of the following:

An Apple iPod classic, connected to an Arcam r-Dock
A Cyrus CD6S CD player

Atlus Equinox II RCA interconnects for both sources

Graham Slee Solo (2008) headphone amplifier

AKG K-701 headphones (Stock, no modifications)

The problem is, that my music seems flat, and rather uninvolving. My CD player is noted for an analytical and lean sound, which I think when partnered with similar equipment (such as the ICs, the headphone amplifier, and to a certain extent the headphones) produces a very 'sterile' sound (IMO).

I get slightly better(?) sound from my iPod, when I use the EQ and set it to bass boost - not something I want to be doing, I'd rather fix the problem than apply a sticking plaster…

I am in the process of replacing both ICs with Chord Cobra cables, which are supposed to have a synergy with Cyrus sources (adding a little depth and warmth to the sound, without sacrificing the detail and energy at the same time).

I am also investigating the possibility of replacing the headphones, and was wondering if a pair of Denon AH-D5000 headphones will match the system, providing a similar sound to the AKG K-701s, but with some added warmth and bass weight.

Can anyone comment?

I have tried a pair of Sennheiser HD-650s, and wasn't that impressed. The treble detail was lacking, they were a little laid back, and sounded a little 'veiled'. I've been spoilt somewhat with the AKG K-701s airy presentation, and enjoy the sound, just need a little more bass, without it being dominant and ponderous.

So…would the Denon AH-D5000 'phones fit the bill; some other 'phones be better suited; or a change of headphone amplifier be in order?

I'm open to all suggestions. Music tastes range from Zeppelin hard rock, to Bob Dylan folk. To complicate matters somewhat, I will be buying blind, without the benefit of an audition…

Many thanks guys…

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 7
I have the markl-modded D5000's and they are still quite base and treble strong, giving a feeling of a recessed mid-range. However, the mid-range is absolutely beautiful. What's been recommended to me is to try the Senn HD-600's, though I still find the MD5000's (as they are nicknamed) to be a very enjoyable listen.

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 7
My biggest beef with the Denons is that they're too laid back. If I'm doing something else at the same time like playing videogames, entire parts of songs can pass by without me noticing. It's not as bad as it seems, though.

They're definitely warm (best with SS amps; can get too dark with tubes), and there's plenty of bass depth. The bass goes very, very, very low, and there's plenty of it. IIRC, the bass is deeper than the HFI-780 w/ recable, but it's been awhile since I had those. I recently auditioned the Pro750 (300hr) vs D2000 (lots of burn in... 500hr?), and the D2000s definitely had more and deeper bass.

I have heard that the Markl mods boost the treble of the D5000/D2000. I'm not really sure what constitutes a more "active" headphone, but I heard somewhere that more treble can help give this impression. Not really sure though... someone who's heard both could chime in and help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 7
More treble, if my recall of audiophile terms is correct, makes a headphone sound more "open". I recall markl's original complaint about the D5000's was that the uncontrolled base overwhelmed the rest of the spectrum, which his mods rectified, though in my case I am thinking of experimenting with putting a little more fibre loft in the cups to dampen the base a little more, as I still find it to be a bit too much.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the information guys.

I'm wondering if a change of headphone amplifier would prove more beneficial rather than replacing the headphones.

I've never heard the combination of the AKG K-701 and a tube headphone amplifier, but a number of people have commented on the synergy of this coupling.

Again, the problem would be the lack of an audition, with the exception of a stockist that has the Vincent KHV-111 hybrid solid-state/tube headphone amplifier.

Would the DarkVoice 332 or 336i headphone amplifier be a good choice for the system? Does the Vincent amplifier have any merits?

Thanks again.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 7
I listein to a pair of K701 and a pair of k340 powered by RSA Raptor. IMO the K701 sounded too lean even with the tubes. The K340 sounded very nice (they are the bass heavy version).

More than the amplifier I would change the ICs and maybe the source first. Your amplifier is very good.

IMO the D5000 with the Solo will match good. I have a pair that I listen with a Rudistor RPX-33 MKII, Rudistor RP-7 Lite and a GS-1 and they sound great with all of them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 1, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks...I've placed an order for a couple of different ICs, which I hope, will tame the system a little, and add a bit of 'warmth'.

I have also purchased a pair of ALO re-cabled K701s (thanks Amos), and will shortly be sending my original K701s off for a Kimber Kable HC-1 re-cable.

These two measures, hopefully, will suffice - giving me the detail and sound-stage that I have grown accustomed to, but adding extra low-end weight, without it becoming too prominent.

I have the possibility of factory upgrading the Cyrus CD6 to the next model, the CD8…but at £500, it's a cost I don't need right now.

I'm also thinking that I'll replace the Arcam r-Dock for my iPod with a LOD > RCA cable…

I'll be keeping the Gram Slee Solo headphone amplifier too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back