Would DAC generate 192/24 on iPhone?
Nov 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sm0731

New Head-Fier
I'm using Amazon music (I download music and avoid streaming them) where it states they "aim" to deliver 256 kilobits per second.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379550

My question is, if I play 256kbps songs using Amazon music on my iPhone 6 WITH DAC (looking at E17 which is DAC/AMP) through CCK, would it generate 192/24 quality on my IEMs.

My main goal is to achieve best possible audio quality... If there's better way to improve sound quality from iPhone, please share.

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 5
No, no - you are confusing two different specs for digital data. The bitstream bandwidth is not the same thing as the sampling frequency that was used during the original conversion from analog to digital. A 24bit/96K digital file had to be *created* as 24bit/96K. The DAC simply decodes the data that was put in the file. When a streaming service is talking about aiming for 256Kbps, that is talking about the compression level of the digital bitstream. The slower the connection, the less bits they can send. That is completely different from how the digital conversion was done in the first place.

As a point of reference, ALL CD audio discs are encoded as 16bit/44.1K. Buying a 24bit/96k DAC does NOT change the original encoding.

Here's some light reading...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded

And more:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb08/articles/digitalaudio.htm#12

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 5
Anything higher than 16-bit / 44.1 kHz is pointless in terms of digital audio playback. Read this article to learn the basics. The recording itself, following with which master was used, are the crucial factors you should care about.

I would advise against downloading from Amazon and iTunes, with the exception of exclusive content. They tend to use inferior masters than CDs and some other digital music stores. Many audiophiles (including myself) swear by ripping CDs to lossless formats, then converting them to whichever format is desired, such as lossy 256 kbps AAC for portable DAPs. (If you have enough hard drive space, there's no need to convert to lossy.)

If you are asking if adding an amp/DAC will improve sound quality in general, the answer is usually, but not always. It depends on which equipment you are using.

But the first step is getting your hands on the best version of a recording. If it's available on CD, you could get a used copy for next to nothing and it will probably sound much better than the Amazon download. If it's available from a quality digital music store, it could come from a better-sounding master than the CD. There is even a large amount of music authorized for free download. (You can start with my free music thread.)

To delete a thread, change the thread title to something like "[MODS, PLEASE DELETE]".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back