Would Cowon D2 be an upgrade over Sony NWZ-A828?
Nov 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Firefighter

Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I am currently using Sony NWZ-A 828 8GB Bluetooth Walkman with Sennheiser CX 500 phones. I am reading a lot of nice things about the Cowon D2. I am pleased with the SQ of my Walkman as of now, but we people are always looking in to the ways of perfecting our sound quality.

So do you think that Sound Quality wise the D2 would be an improvement over A828?

Let us hear your opinions please?

Thanks in advance.
beyersmile.png

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 14
I will stick with my newly acquired CX 500 now, since I am very pleased with it. Thanks for the advice.
atsmile.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 14
I have the A829 and the D2,........... the A829 kicks the D2's AZZ!!!! No bass roll off either. Seriously, the D2 is great, the Sony's are better!!!

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with those headphones, theres little reason for you to change player,

Donate me some money to buy better ones then..
mad.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the A829 and the D2,........... the A829 kicks the D2's AZZ!!!! No bass roll off either. Seriously, the D2 is great, the Sony's are better!!!

Thanks man, thats the kind of response I was looking for.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 14
I prefer my D2 to my A828. Supports FLAC for a start. Bass roll off isn't an issue when using a portable amp (Pico) I find

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 14
it is up to you. if you like the sound of the d2 over the sony, then yes. if not, then no: not at all. i have owned both and they are both okay for what they do. the sony is smaller and has similar battery life and has better industry audio support.

the d2 has a bigger screen, sd support and rockbox porting. so it will do proper codecs eventually other than its open source stuff.

i prefer the sony for sound except for the hiss but... i don't like amps as they make the package bigger.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Donate me some money to buy better ones then..
mad.gif

It's a fair point though. Most people would assume you had the money to buy the D2, so he thought (& I tend to agree with him) that money could have been better spent upgrading the headphones then the player.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks everyone, I decided to stick with my A828 and wait for whats next from both manufacturers.
smile.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 14
Allright folks, here's an update to the situation:

I have barrowed my friends' D2 for couple of days and was really impressed with. It produces excellent souns with almost too much options to choose from;such as jeteffetcs,eq,mp3 enhance,stereo advance,..and so on. I almost got lost with so many choices to color your sound. D2 produces very good SQ, BUT....no matter what settings I applied I wasn't able to get the sound I got from my A828...is this a bad thing? absolutely not. This by all means doesn't mean that D2 sounds awfull... it has a unique sound quality by it self which is very good. BUT for my ears, my SONY produces much warmer bass an treble sounds, both bass and treble are equally seperated by a828 and have a unique depth in to them which I couldn't get with D2 no matter what settings I have used. D2 seems to sound harsher than A828 and much louder which is like I said before not a bad thing, but I just wasn't able to get the "warm" and "ear filling sounds" from it like I get from A828.

This is to my ears ofcourse, music sounds different for people to people. So...D2 is an excellent little PMP with way too much settings for me(believe me I got lost after some tries). I still prefer the warmth and deepness of my Sony though...

If I hadn't bought the Sony before, D2 would definately be my choice.

Well, there you have it...
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a fair point though. Most people would assume you had the money to buy the D2, so he thought (& I tend to agree with him) that money could have been better spent upgrading the headphones then the player.

X3
Agree Keep the Sony and upgrade your headphones.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 14
i have had the d2,also have a826/828.didnt like the d2 and sold it to a family member after 3 days.sonys trashed it also the instuctions were rubish.use my sonys with sennheiser px100.
question can the rechargeable battery in my sonys be easily replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back