Would an AKG K701 be inappropriate for this amp?
Jun 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gulleyowl

New Head-Fier
Jun 9, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 8
Without having seen the inside of it I bet you it uses a PCM27XX or PCM29XX chip for everything. Headphone output level on those two chips won't drive a K701 to anything other than a whisper. Period. It is well overpriced as well.

Jun 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I can have either a PCM2707 or a PCM2705 in it.

Other people claim that it can power the phones fine.
Power Output = 12 mW, R = 32 Ohms
I am a total n00b, though, so those figures mean next to nothing to me.

I was thinking more in terms of sound quality, though.

Thanks very much.

Jun 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 8
you really really really do not want to skimp on amplification with either the K701 or DT-880s. a lot of entry level and some mid level home amps have trouble powering both with authority, so I very much doubt the amp you linked to would power them well.

Jun 9, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 8
Get an emu 0404, M-Audio Transit, Zero DAC, etc. before you would get that. There are afew DAC/amp combos on ebay and this is one place thjat you really don't want to skimp too much because a bad source will make everything else bad.

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Or custom order the 880s at 32 Ohm and you wont need an amp at all. Spend that 129 on custom Beyers. 701s? No way. After a year or a month or what have you, then you can buy an amp and in the mean time enjoy the 880s straight out of your sound card or DAP.

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 8
I think the HOTUSB3 would be great for those phones. It will give you a GREAT DAC for your money, one that I believe would be hard to match for the money. It is hand built and has a very 'sweet' , 'warm' sound, as well as being extremely accurate.
smily_headphones1.gif
It has the 1/4 inch jack that the AKG K701 phones have, and also I believe would match up great with them. Plus if your not happy, I'll give you a full refund. I'll even refund your shipping. The HOTUSB3 listed has a new lower price as well. It's on sale
smily_headphones1.gif
And later, if you do decide you need more power, you'd want a great sounding DAC in front of your AKG K701 anyways....

Thanks!
Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back