Would a toque cover Etys?
Jun 10, 2002 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
Still playing around with the idea of getting a set of ER-4P's.

I'd be using them as a winter earphone, mainly, and for various other applications. Do they fit under a toque without any difficulties? As my user name suggests, I *really* need head protection in the winter. (plus the fact I'm Canadian!)
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 20
toque? Educate us dumb americans?

I've had a 'toke' before but never a 'toque'... Or is that french-canadian for the same thing?

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 20
A toque is a soft hat that is worn over one's head (in my case, a totally bald one) that will allow little or no heat to escape. I guess this is a Canadian term, but keep your eyes peeled for the word, somewhere else.......
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I think I'd be OK with this over the Etys. I often use a toque to sort of keep buds in place when I'm out in the wintertime air. Maybe we could get some custom-made toques, just for Head-Fiers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 20
I guess the only way to test this hypothesis is for me to actually invest in the ER-4P's. With the brutal exchange rate and unavoidable customs fees, I'd say it would cost $500 for a set of these in Canada - toque is NOT included!

BTW, is cord noise that much of a problem?

Jun 11, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 20
I should change my user name to "Beanie Baldguy."
biggrin.gif

So, what the heck do they call these things in the U.S.? Crime accessories....

Do you think a toque might actually diminish the microphonic effect?

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 20
I think we'd just call that thing a hat. Maybe a winter hat if we wanted to be specific. ...

The microphonic effect if caused by cord movement, so the hat won't affect it, probably. But if you have the cord underneath your coat, as I assume you will, it won't swing around much and there probably won't be much of a problem.

kerelybonto

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
So, what the heck do they call these things in the U.S.? Crime accessories....

You're confussing that with a ski mask. :wink:

In the south where I'm from we call that a 'taboggen' and I'm sure I trashed the spelling... But that's ok because southerners trash pronounciation of just about *every* word.

I remember as a young boy in Georgia asking my mother "why wash isn't spelled with an 'r' in it?" (You see, there it's pronounced 'warsh'). Her reply, "I don't know honey, it's just one of those things."

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 20
In the south where I'm from we call that a 'taboggen' and I'm sure I trashed the spelling... But that's ok because southerners trash pronounciation of just about *every* word.

Hey Nezer,

We say things right. It's in other parts of the country they ain't figgered out how to talk.

Course, them English people really got it bad. They cain't speak Inglish worf a damn

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 20
In the US, generally they're called Watch Caps, a carry-over from the Navy (although I'm an Army guy). They have also generically been called Ski Caps.

And to stay on-topic, yes, the Etys will fit beneath a toque.

I lived in the Frozen North for two years and became quite familiar with the toque.

This cap is called a toboggan in the South???

Jun 11, 2002 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 20
They need a watch cap in the South when the temp drops below 50°. I would think that a coat and the cap would hold the cable in place and eliminate most if not all of the noise associated with movement.

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 20
Huh, you know one of those toque-like things that go down so far as to almost cover your eyes? (huh maybe that's what all toques do) I saw a local star here wearing closed Sonys (something like the V6, could be the V600 though
eek.gif
) *over* the toque--when the toque already covers his ears.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Conclusion: if you absolutely must wear something, there are always ways to get around things
rolleyes.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back