Would a Senn HD515 sound the same as a Philips SHP805?
Jul 2, 2008 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Impagliazzo

New Head-Fier
First of all, hello everybody.
I'm new to the forums and to sound as well.

Nah, I'm not a complete newbie but don't assume too much, eh?!
tongue.gif

So, I've owned some really crappy headphones so far. And the most decent ones were this Philips SHP805 that I'm wearing right now (I'm not so sure US people are really familiar with it, since I can't see it on any US shops, Amazon, B&H and even Ebay), and an Audio-Technica ATH M20, closed-back flat freq. response for monitoring purposes.

philipsshp805cr0.jpg
[size=xx-large]= [/size]
hd515mednj4.jpg
[size=xx-large]?[/size]

I really like the sound of these headphones, when I first bought I thought the bass was a lil' weak, but now I'm cool with it.

I can't really say if the Philips one is closed, one site says it is, but I doubt it. It does a very poor job in cancelling sound. But that's not a problem for me. I use it inside my room.

My question is: Would the 515 have the same characteristics as my Philips?

My Philips sounds more natural than my AT, AT sounds very boxy.
Would that be a characteristic of closed back headphones?

Ah, another thing that makes me like the HD515 is the design. Looks very comfortable and it's pretty slick as well.
rolleyes.gif

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

smily_headphones1.gif

PS: Posted in the wrong section (damn tabs!) already contacted mods.

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm sorry probably people aren't familiar with this philips...

But if anyone has something to say it will be of great help.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 4
i thought the philips was very good, my first pair of headphones. also pre head-fi. very cheap. i still see them here at around, mostly under 200 dollars(us 25?, 1us = 7.8hk). as for hd515, i only heard hd555. i remember nothing special, of course better but little less bass than shp805. you have an amp so far? i remember an amp, pa2v2 was very good with them. bass got more and tigher. better mids and highs too. a pa2v2 and a 805 still cheaper than a hd515 right? or maybe shp895? i like 895 better by the way

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the input.

Less bass than the 805? Wow, that's not acceptable.

No preamps here, just straight outta X-Fi Platinum Fatality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back