Would a Fiio E7 make a Samsung Galaxy S2 Sound any better?
Apr 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

djglenn

New Head-Fier
I have have just purchased my first set of serious headphones (V-Moda LP2), and I am have re-discovered my love of music! Well thats on my PC with + Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 amp.

Amazing Sound Quality....well that is until I try and listen to music on my phone...and I am left underwhelmed.

Voodoo sound greatly improved sound om my SGS1, but alas not available on the SGS2 due to some Yamaha chip thingy..

So, should a Fiio E7 dac improve the sound on my phone, or will it just change the crap I am currently hearing?

Would I need to somehow use the USB port to bypass the DAC on the phone? Just updated to ICS via Kies, but no noticable improvements to sound.

Any advice is welcome!

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 12
No way to bypass DAC on Android phones through usb atm as far as I know.  Wasn't Voodoo just software that allowed the build in amp in the phone to pass more power than allowed stock?  Perhaps all you need is portable amp to supply more power to your headphones.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 12
If there is a fixed line out or digital out on the 'phone, then yes.

If connecting via the headphone output then no, your just amplifying a poor signal

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 12
I don't think so... Better option is to get a Clip + and 32 Gb card

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!

Looks like its not such a good option for my phone after all..(unless I just want the volume louder)

Will look into the Sansa Clip, I assume the audio quality is better than the looks of the unit? 
blink.gif

Doesnt exactly look slick
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
If there is a fixed line out or digital out on the 'phone, then yes.

If connecting via the headphone output then no, your just amplifying a poor signal

Bollocks! I use a Sansa Clip+ with an E11 straight from the headphone jack setting the volume to 0db and it works perfectly fine the signal is very pure sounding fuller than my ipod using LOD to E11. I don't know why people look at double amping as such a crime or sin. It's completely far fetched and with the right settings you can achieve almost equal results.

It becomes tiring reading the same material copied from the last persons comment in threads over and over because a trend has set in. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a players headphone out to amp up. I could use either LOD, and use Clip+ HO as preference.

To the OP. who ever is telling you an amp will only make your signal louder is on the same train as the HO people. An amp will give your headphone body and tonality not just an increase in volume. This does but not entirely depend on the headphones impedance just how much you will benefit from an amp. I amp up my 16Ohm - 32Ohm IEM's with excellent results. You'll be feeding your headphones a stronger signal with less distortion.

Have you ever listened to your ipod/iphone/phone at high volume and find the bass thins out and becomes less prominent? That's because your HO internal amp is struggling to power them any further without clipping and distortion. An amp will solve this problem, so not only does it go  "louder" it's a well feed headphone not laboring from it's source.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Bollocks! don't know why people look at double amping as such a crime or sin. It's completely far fetched and with the right settings you can achieve almost equal results.-

It becomes tiring reading the same material copied from the last persons comment in threads over and over because a trend has set in. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a players headphone out to amp up. I could use either LOD, and use Clip+ HO as preference.

To the OP. who ever is telling you an amp will only make your signal louder is on the same train as the HO people. An amp will give your headphone body and tonality not just an increase in volume. This does but not entirely depend on the headphones impedance just how much you will benefit from an amp. I amp up my 16Ohm - 32Ohm IEM's with excellent results. You'll be feeding your headphones a stronger signal with less distortion.

Have you ever listened to your ipod/iphone/phone at high volume and find the bass thins out and becomes less prominent? That's because your HO internal amp is struggling to power them any further without clipping and distortion. An amp will solve this problem, so not only does it go  "louder" it's a well feed headphone not laboring from it's source.

Oh dear Bruce,, no one said it was a crime, but it will only sound worse.
rubbish in , rubbish out.

you clearly don't really understand how audio works.

You will realise it one day, in the mean time enjoy your loud sounds, I prefer quality to volume myself.

KT66
ex hi-end dealer
professional musician
audiophile for 30 years.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!
Will look into the Sansa Clip, I assume the audio quality is better than the looks of the unit? 
blink.gif

Doesnt exactly look slick
tongue.gif

This is probably the better idea. The Clip looks pretty unimpressive, but sounds good. I use mine with a CMoy when I need a little more juice, but stand alone it runs my IEMs really well.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 12
The problem is that Sansa Fuze+ or whatever is a dedicated player which has superior sound to the galaxy s2. Hence why people think that if they are going to use the aux line with a fiio it will be better.

As an owner of an s2, I really regret doing this, and if I understand it correctly, even getting a fiio e7 won't be of much help (there's a patch in some mods that enables these USB DAC's) but the s2 doesn't have anything other than an aux or a usb (So assuming we can connect them via usb?)

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 12
The S3 has USB audio by default, and a number of folks are working on porting that to the S2, so it may happen yet (for instance the Nook colour has USB audio added in a custom kernel). Best place to ask would be XDA-Developers in their S2 forum.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I have have just purchased my first set of serious headphones (V-Moda LP2), and I am have re-discovered my love of music! Well thats on my PC with + Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9 amp.

Amazing Sound Quality....well that is until I try and listen to music on my phone...and I am left underwhelmed.

Voodoo sound greatly improved sound om my SGS1, but alas not available on the SGS2 due to some Yamaha chip thingy..

So, should a Fiio E7 dac improve the sound on my phone, or will it just change the crap I am currently hearing?

Would I need to somehow use the USB port to bypass the DAC on the phone? Just updated to ICS via Kies, but no noticable improvements to sound.

Any advice is welcome!

I just read the posts in this thread, and I must admit to not really knowing what the heck everyone is talking about (lots to learn). What I do know however is that I have a SGS2 and I installed the PowerAmp app on it, and after some tweaking of the equalizer (and Stereo X settings etc), the sound through my Koss KSC75 drivers (on cheapo headband) seems rather outstanding to me. Rich, full sound. No distortion. Just lovely.

Am I out to lunch?

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 12
SGS2 received mixed reviews about sound quality. IMO its due to some earlier or country versions have Yamaha sound chip. So after checking this page I am pretty sure that my SGS2 has a Wolfson audio chip:
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/media_centre/item/wolfson_microelectronics_plc_third_quarter_results_to_2_october_2011/

From that page:

Notable new Wolfson Audio Hub, DSP and subsystem product adoptions in Q3 2011 include selection by:
  1. An existing high volume Tier 1 customer for its new 2012 smartphone platform
  2. An existing Tier 1 customer for its next generation high volume 2012 smartphone platform (announced at Interim results in July)
  3. Samsung for Droid and Epii handsets, a new Galaxy S2 model, the Galaxy R smartphone and various Samsung Galaxy tablets
  4. LG for its Optimus range of mobile phones including the Sol, Q2, EX, Net and LTE handsets, and the LG V909 tablet
  5. Sony Tablet S and Lenovo LePad tablet PCs
  6. Fujitsu and Toshiba for new Japanese smartphones

Why am I sure? Becasue I have a Sansa Fuze (Rockboxed) and my SGS2 sound quality trashed it out even with its stock music player.

I simply quit using Fuze.

On your SGS2 just be sure to select Normal from EQ settings (disables EQ) and Music Clarity from the players setting. I cannot pass the 1/4 volume and adding an amp is useless for me (tried with Kramer modded, recabled, 75ohm resistor modded KSC-35's).

Recently I have upgraded to IceCreamSanwich and loaded CyanogenMod9. Sound quality didn't change after these mods. But I have seen a menu to activate the USB dock audio on the CyanogenMod9 menu.

FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back