Would a <€100 USB DAC improve sound quality?
Aug 13, 2017 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ozyx

Head-Fier
Hello,

I usually listen to music using Spotify on my phone, but occasionally I connect my headphones (Sony MDR-1A) on my PC, because it can drive my headphones better (louder, music seems to be bunchier).

I am happy with the sound I get from my computer (uses on-board sound of this motherboard: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_PRO_REV_31/ which uses the "Realtek ALC892", but when there is no music I can hear a bit of hissing, so this makes me wonder if a <€100 USB DAC could improve the sound I get from my PC in a significant way.

I am considering the FiiO - E10K and the SMSL M3.

Thanks

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 4
I've owned the E10K and it would definitely get rid of that hiss, and perhaps help bring out a bit more dynamic sound! Its a great little dac/amp and it's hard to beat for the price

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks! It is not so much about the hiss (it doesn't really bother me, it can be heard only when there is no music) but about the sound quality in general. I read that the E10K goes into some "semi-mute" state when there is no sound which is why hiss is eliminated. I also get more than enough volume, so that is not an issue either. "More dynamic sound" would be welcomed, but you said "perhaps", and if possible I would like to be certain before I spend the money.

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks! It is not so much about the hiss (it doesn't really bother me, it can be heard only when there is no music) but about the sound quality in general. I read that the E10K goes into some "semi-mute" state when there is no sound which is why hiss is eliminated. I also get more than enough volume, so that is not an issue either. "More dynamic sound" would be welcomed, but you said "perhaps", and if possible I would like to be certain before I spend the money.

Fair enough! Those headphones are pretty easy to drive which is why I say "perhaps". But I think having a dedicated dac/amp such as the E10k would be worth it anyway. It's what I started on and I loved it for my HD598. Just keep in mind that it's a very weak amp when you throw any headphones over 100 ohms at it, so if you're going to snag a new pair of cans such as the 6xx, you'll want something better than your soundcard and the E10k.

I'd recommend trying it from Amazon and returning it if it doesn't liven up your music. I'm decently sure you'll hear a nice difference depending on your hearing. I can't speak for other people but I have pretty good ears and could notice a nice difference between my soundcard and the E10k with my HD598

Users who are viewing this thread

Back