Worthwhile to change from upgraded 1999 Headroom Max to Rudistor RPX33, Phonitor, something else? Thanks in advance.
Jun 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

rgs9200m

Headphoneus Supremus
My '99 Max was upgraded with a Headroom Reference Module in 2004 (by the way, is this the current "Max Module" for Headroom?).
I use Senn HD800s and Grado PS1000s, so is it worthwhile to upgrade?
Is my Max still competitive?

I was thinking of the Phonitor, but was worried it would be too bass-heavy for the Grados. I was also looking at the Rudistor RPX33, but do not see much comment about it lately.
I want a refined sound that is not abusive at all.

I have do-no-harm preference here. I want to avoid punchy mids and vocals, searing highs, and overwhelming bass. I want a controlled presentation, with balance across all the musical sounds. I actually like the Max in this regard, but would like a bit more smoothness to vocals, and some more air around the objects in the listening field.

To my ears, the Grados sound better on the Max than the Senns, with a warm integrated and a balanced
overall sound, realistic instruments and vocals, and sweet highs.
The Senns seem a little flat on the Max, but still pleasant, just not as open or able to
separate the musical components as the Grados do.

I have done a lot of reading here about current amps, but I thought I would request some thoughts here.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back