Worst rock concert you ever saw and why....
Jan 31, 2002 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

cajunchrist

Why not? No local acts, there are plenty of bad bands we'e all seen at the local pub that never recorded or did shows outside of our podunk towns.

Metallica in support of the black album. Strangely, the show lacked energy, that 'in the round' stage idea was a bad one, and they just didn't look interested or like they were having any fun. Lackluster.

Jan 31, 2002 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 28
- fish, several years ago, düsseldorf:
after the first opening act (fields of nephilim) which were good,
- the crowd didn't quite expect this kind of music -, some bizarre
freak entered the stage but had to stop after like 10 minutes
because the crowd was boo-ing too hard.
when fish finally started his set the people were already bored
and he seemed too, so it was a very long uninteressing evening.

Jan 31, 2002 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 28
A while ago Ringo Starr toured with an "all-star" band. The show was so unmemorable, I couldn't even tell you who the rest of the all-stars were (but I do remember a washed out looking Joe Walsh was among them). I guess I was so disappointed because I was actually going to see a live Beatle (my heroes), but instead I saw a bunch of middle-aged guys all seeming to suffer from an ex-alcoholics' lack of energy run through an uninspired set. What a let down.

Jan 31, 2002 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

instead I saw a bunch of middle-aged guys all seeming to suffer from an ex-alcoholics' lack of energy run through an uninspiring set.

Which is why I can't understand the popularity of the recent 'dinotour' trend of ancient rockers dusting off their decades old hits and walking through them for the thousandth time, AND PEOPLE PAYING HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS EACH TO SEE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (proof)

What! Seeing the Rolling Stones THIRTY YEARS AGO would have been cool, but everytime Mick shakes his ass now I'm afraid he's gonna break his hip.

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 28
At the (ithink it was ) '98 Fleadh festival ( a sort of "Celtic" rock music festival), the last act to play was the once-brilliant Shane MacGowan of the Pogues with his new band the Popes.

It was after midnight when he finally showed. I was exhausted from a day of standing, walking, drinking Guinness and rocking out. But this was the performance I had been waiting all day for.

There is not much left of Shane MacGowan. Alcohol had left him a shell of a man, bloated and barely able to make it to the mike. You couldn't understand a word he was "singing", and roadies would continually bring him more alcohol, and literally remove the cigarette from his hand and replace it with a newly lit one.

Should have billed himself as "the Ghost of Shane MacGowan". Pathetic, tragic, and appalling.

markl

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 28
David Bowie "Glass Spider" tour, around 1988 in Melbourne. Kooyong Park was almost underwater it waas raining so hard, it's an outdoor tennis stadium. Most of the lights and effects were turned off it was so wet. In the end Bowie seemed to get bored after about 35 minutes and that was it. No refund....

At least it wasn't during one of his better creative periods. :)

Jan 31, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 28
soundgarden / 1997 / seattle center soccer stadium. it was an outside day show. the music was good but the pa sucked. no high end, all you could hear was muffled bass. plus everyone i went with was tripping on acid (i wasn't, i don't like the stuff). i got sick of them looking at me like i has lizards growing out of my ears. so i went off to mosh, but the pit had some ********** throwing punches at people. after a while i gave up and just left.

the best shows i've been to were pink floyd, jethro tull, philip glass, page/plant, and david byrne.

Jan 31, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 28
One of my least favorite concerts would be Hootie and the Blowfish at SPAC, maybe 1998? Once again, I haven't been to that many concerts, but this one seemed to lack energy and I really didn't enjoy it that much at all. Very poor performance in my opinion.

Feb 1, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 28
I hate to say it but Don Mclean two years ago put on a horrible concert at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. It was depressing because I'd learned all of his singles on guitar because I totally dig American Pie and Vincent and... he really simplified his songs, lacked energy and was... old.

But age has nothing to do with it... he just seemed like he was there, not really to please the audience.

Feb 1, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 28
Does BT count? Played for 1/2 hour, 99% of it was preprogrammed, and all he did was diddle some lead lines over top of it, sounded exactly the same as the album. Ended every single song the same way -- lifted one end of his keyboard and dropped it dramatically. I used to like him when he was a local hero, but methinks he's gotten a little too full of himself.

Feb 2, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 28
The Replacements, St. Louis, 1987 - Should have known we were in trouble when we were sitting next to Paul Westerburg at the bar (as my friend said, "He has the greasy sheen of an alcoholic"). Anyway, the show starts, they get halfway thru the first song, then Westerburg falls flat on his back, mic in hand, and announces "The show's over, everybody go the f$%^ home!"

Feb 2, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 28
I also almost picked a Replacements concert as worst. We had front row seats we had paid a fair amount for. They were drunk and not into it at all.

However, despite that experience I went to see them again toward the end of their run, and that show would be in my all-time top ten. They were everything you'd imagine they could be.

Very hit or miss with the Mats.

markl

Feb 3, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

What! Seeing the Rolling Stones THIRTY YEARS AGO would have been cool, but everytime Mick shakes his ass now I'm afraid he's gonna break his hip

I saw the Stones in 1975 Toronto. They were bad because they were so drunk. A waste of a night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back