Worst IEM you've ever heard.
Jan 18, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #106 of 149
I agree with this.

Even lowly earbuds that have very little bass and sound like a stampede of hungry cows can sound good with proper seal. That is why there are aftermarket products for iBuds and their ilk. High end earphones sound much better of course, but really really good with a nice seal.

The other thing is housing quality, particularly when hand in hand with loads of bass response. The first being bad, the second will boom and echo till only slow hip hop is listenable.

Quote:
As a designated member of the trade, I can't slag any competitors on this forum. However, I do have a few quick observations:

1. I am more and more convinced that the biggest barrier to quality IEM audio is user error, specifically failing to get a full seal. I strongly suspect that it is this, moreso than personal taste, that accounts for the huge disparity in perceived bass response in the same model. (In all fairness, there are plenty of universals out there that make this task more formidable than it should be.)
2. There is plenty of bass, and significantly extended high end, in BA drivers. For those who don't agree, see #1.
3. I rate this thread extremely interesting.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #107 of 149
I agree. SE210 was the worst real, audiophile marketed IEM I have ever heard. I picked some up with a huge gift card out of an electronics vending machine in a Macy's. I'm glad I didn't spend any money on them. I sold them to a friend for $20 because, frankly, I would have felt guilty asking for more.

Quote:
Shure SE210. 

I was shocked and aghast at the horrible sound it put out. The treble was screechy and rolled off, with a complete lack of detail. The bass was nearly non existent, and the midrange was laid back and muffled. Overall just a horrible, horrible sound. The SE110 and (especially) the SE115 are much better. 

I would say Bose in-ears are the worst, but they don't technically count as IEMs because it does not provide any isolation. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #108 of 149
^Agreed, this was one of my first IEMS funny it still works the rubber is off, but that thing sucks.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #109 of 149
Well from a rather inexperienced ear - like myself - the difference between a BA driver which set me back £200 and a dynamic driver that set me back only £40 - I could tell the difference. In other words my Sony EX500's had much more pronounced and impacting bass than my £200 Westone 2's.

Could only be me, but I highly doubt it.

Just the fact the way that BA drivers are made means they move less air - as their coils don't bounce so to speak - Or so I've been told.

All I know is that my Westone 2's that I owned previously cost me £200, and my current Denon AH-C710's which cost me £90. I find the level of clarity is almost unnoticeable - as I've been very very satisfied with the Denon's this far - and more so, they provide an excellent amount of bass to my ears. Exactly what I craved right from the start with the Westone's. 

I might have made a £70-80 loss in selling the only 6 month old Westone's but it allowed me to broaden my knowledge of different earphones out there.
From now on, I won't even lay my hands on BA's unless they can provide me exquisite sound quality, and a good bass response which makes my feet tingle. 

Regards,
Dubbed

Quote:
As a designated member of the trade, I can't slag any competitors on this forum. However, I do have a few quick observations:

1. I am more and more convinced that the biggest barrier to quality IEM audio is user error, specifically failing to get a full seal. I strongly suspect that it is this, moreso than personal taste, that accounts for the huge disparity in perceived bass response in the same model. (In all fairness, there are plenty of universals out there that make this task more formidable than it should be.)
2. There is plenty of bass, and significantly extended high end, in BA drivers. For those who don't agree, see #1.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #110 of 149
Audio Technica's that were like red but were actually pinkish coloured, cost's over 90$ here but I forgot the model name and in the U.S it was about 20$, such a load of crap got so pissed off almost wanted to burn it, it said "powerful bass" all i could hear is piercing sibliance

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #111 of 149
Personally I have always struggled with my right ear. It is definitely weaker than my left at perceiving certain sound, not sure whether they are highs, lows, mids or what. Maybe my time here might help me determine what my weakness is in this regard.

Your point on 'full seal' being the biggest barrier to quality is an interesting one and in my extremely limited experience in this field compared to the majority of posters here, I would agree here. Maybe in my case it is my right ear hearing issue but I have always seemed to struggle to create a reliable full seal with IEM's in my right ear. The Brainwavz ProAlpha's I'm getting will be accompanied by Comply T-400 tips and I have been reading some of the stickied IEM tips guides for proper insertion and maintenance so hopefully this aspect of my audio pleasure will improve.

Regarding point 3, I agree :)

Quote:

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #112 of 149
To all who experience poor bass, especially in BA models with reputations for flat (or greater) bass response, I urge you to check out the Sensaphonics Audio Seal Test. If you have a poor seal, you lose significant bass response, and this will tell you if that's happening.

ElcomeSoft, if you have a significant volume reduction in one ear, you should consider seeing an audiologist for a hearing screening. Doesn't cost much. I have no medical background; just sayin'...

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #113 of 149
Will check out the seal test. Thank you.

I'm not sure whether the issue is to do with volume or frequency. It's not hugely bad but it's significant enough for me to hear in certain tracks were I know the audio is playing balanced in both ears. Perhaps the audio seal test will help me isolate the basics so I can then move on from there.

Quote:
To all who experience poor bass, especially in BA models with reputations for flat (or greater) bass response, I urge you to check out the Sensaphonics Audio Seal Test. If you have a poor seal, you lose significant bass response, and this will tell you if that's happening.

ElcomeSoft, if you have a significant volume reduction in one ear, you should consider seeing an audiologist for a hearing screening. Doesn't cost much. I have no medical background; just sayin'...

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #114 of 149
The whole thing with SE530 is that no, I ain't got a good seal with the silicon tips even if they create massive suction when I pull them out. The largest black olives really do clear up everything, but not enough for me to like.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #115 of 149
Skull candy FMJ, if you really want to stick with IEMs, but they were an improvement over the pre-packed iPod headphones that Apple packs with all of their products.  

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #116 of 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKontney 

1. I am more and more convinced that the biggest barrier to quality IEM audio is user error, specifically failing to get a full seal.

I could not agree more. I purchased the Apple In Ear from a fellow Head-fier and could not get a good seal with the provided tips. After reading a bit I purchased some Sony Hybrids and the problem was solved. While they still don't provide Monster levels of bass the sound is very acceptable now. Otherwise, I would have had to list them in this thread in the most disappointing category.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #117 of 149
I'm not talking about the stock ones I said ibuds cause I don't know what they are called and they sound just the same as the stock ones... I'm talking about the ones that are in ear.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #118 of 149
Philips SHE5910.  Terrible detail, and it sounds like a wind tunnel, all in the name of "surround sound."  Plus they are the worst fitting earphones I've ever tried.  I think the music boxes included with some greeting cards sound better than these!

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #119 of 149
Worst from my arsenal, as I can only judge these dudes...

The Klipsch X1... simply unbearable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back