worst date stories
Sep 27, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #631 of 1,450
Many moons ago I used to hang out on a forum of blacksmiths and sword enthusiasts (the historical kind). One fellow there was telling the story of how he'd scare off the boys who came looking for his teenage daughter (this is back before cell phones). There was one boy who was particularly insistent, so he had a plan. You see, papa was a state trooper who also happened to have a collection of bladed weaponry. So the next time the boy came a callin', dear ol' dad was waiting there on the porch, in full uniform, gun on hip, sharpening his battle axe...

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #632 of 1,450

True that. The things I've heard at work the last few years about our current President, based solely on the fact that he has darker skin than the people making these comments, makes me wonder if we'll ever get past these prejudices.
triportsad.gif

I wish people would at least have the decency to find real reasons to not support a political figure. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #633 of 1,450
  I get the sense that that an over-protective father might have been to blame for that one, rather than your date trying to mess you around.

An over-protective father wouldn't have sent a little girl along to chaperone her older sister lol

Usually when a girl brings someone else to a "date" it means she's not interested, but she wanted to be nice and not say no to hanging out.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #635 of 1,450
  An over-protective father wouldn't have sent a little girl along to chaperone her older sister lol

Usually when a girl brings someone else to a "date" it means she's not interested, but she wanted to be nice and not say no to hanging out.

Actually an over protective parent would do this.

When I was 16 and living in Scarborough, I took a 15 year old girl to a movie.
Her mother made her take her little brother.
Apparently he presence was supposed to stop us from getting too crazy!
Her mother was one of those people who would stare you down and interrogate you before you went out on the date with her daughter.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #637 of 1,450
  lol too crazy? You can't even kiss in front of a kid. At least I wouldn't.

I guess that was the idea!
BTW, she didn't care, she had to lock lips with me in the movie anyway.

A few years later she became another pregnant teenage girl. Sad really.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #638 of 1,450

I guess that was the idea!
BTW, she didn't care, she had to lock lips with me in the movie anyway.

A few years later she became another pregnant teenage girl. Sad really.

It's often the way, that excessively-controlling parenting leads to rebellious behaviour in children. That's also the reason why Catholic girls have such a reputation for being sexually adventurous and paradoxically inhibited and yet uninhibited at the same time - it's like a rebound effect from the suppressive, controlling behaviour of the Catholic schools and upbringing.

Although my mum had a convent-school education, it thankfully didn't mess her up, and she has not carried-forward any catholic beliefs in her adult life, and never, ever, inflicted any such beliefs upon me or my brother during our formative years. I'm really grateful for that.

The human spirit isn't meant to be 'caged'.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #640 of 1,450
Sep 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #641 of 1,450

It's often the way, that excessively-controlling parenting leads to rebellious behaviour in children. That's also the reason why Catholic girls have such a reputation for being sexually adventurous and paradoxically inhibited and yet uninhibited at the same time - it's like a rebound effect from the suppressive, controlling behaviour of the Catholic schools and upbringing.

Although my mum had a convent-school education, it thankfully didn't mess her up, and she has not carried-forward any catholic beliefs in her adult life, and never, ever, inflicted any such beliefs upon me or my brother during our formative years. I'm really grateful for that.

I hope this is a trend we will see happening more and more in the coming decades.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #642 of 1,450
Sep 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #643 of 1,450

That was my feeling at the time.  Better to not go on a date than pay for the privilege of a bad date.

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #645 of 1,450

Yes, you are correct, sir!
She was Catholic!
I was brought up Catholic, too.
Big mistake going out with her, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back