Worst cheese you smelled?
Oct 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a package of Limburger cheese and wow, this is the worst smelling food I've ever smelled. It smells like a serious infection that needs immediate medical attention. It's really vile smelling. However, after eating it for a few days, I have to admit, that it tastes good. The only thing is that when I eat it, I have to hold my breath so the putrid pungent smell is not noticed as I chew. It's actually not a bad cheese though and a good bargain for it's tangy flavor. But wow, the bacteria smell is really fowl in an obscene way.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't smell my cheese.

Ah, I can beat that. I don't smell. Nothing. No sense of smell.

I'm missing 20% of my senses!
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 26
...Interesting topic.

I also do not smell my cheese.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I can beat that. I don't smell. Nothing. No sense of smell.

I'm missing 20% of my senses!
frown.gif

See kids, sniffing cheese don't pay.

I hope you didn't loose 20% of your common sense?
wink_face.gif

Toe cheese is about the worst.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ate some casu marzu in Italy. Pretty foul stuff.

eek.gif
Holy hell, man! It's one thing to smell that stuff.. but to eat it is a completely different story. Larvae and all?

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 26
It'd be pretty tough to pick the larvae out, so they went down the hatch as well. I pussed out and killed them all with carbon dioxide before I ate it, however. Didn't want the little scamps burrowing out of my organs.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ate some casu marzu in Italy. Pretty foul stuff.

Seriously? You're a braver man than I am...

I'd second the Limburger as the worst intentionally smelly cheese I have ever had the pleasure of eating. I say 'intentional' because I left my apartment for a couple of months one summer while my roommate was staying there and he left a hunk of cheese out on the balcony that the ravens surprisingly didn't try to consume. 2 months in damp rain and burning sun have very interesting effects on simple cheddar's ability to violate and offend your olfactory sense.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 26
I did some more googling of Limburger Cheese and found out some interesting info about this mysterious cheese. According to wisegreek.com, Limburger is also fermented with Brevibacterium linens, the same bacteria responsible for body odor, and this contributes to the odor.

Despite the disturbing smell, it tastes pretty good.

What is Limburger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back