worn off plating reason for earbuds not working?
Jun 12, 2019 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

backia

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I got a pair of earbuds that come in the box with the iPhone 6 and used them mainly with my Huawei phone. For the first few months they worked fine, but then the problems began. When I would plug them in, my phone wouldn't recognize them sometimes, and then I would have to move them around to make them work. Then the problem started occuring more and more frequently and now it's become permanent (almost a year ago actually). So they don't work at all when I plug them all the way in, but if I pull them halfway out, I can hear very faint sound through one headphone.
I have noticed that the nickel plating of the tip has worn off on some places (I'll try to add photos if I figure out how), maybe that is causing the problem? Could that be?
Also there is something strange that I should add: these headphones work perfectly with any other phone or laptop - at least the ones that I have tested and any other headphones work perfectly with my phone. It seems that just these exact headphones and that exact phone don't get on (as weird as it sounds).
I've had the headphone jack in my phone replaced in case the problem lies within my phone, but still no change. So I'm wondering whether it could be because of the exposed parts of the tip.
I would be very grateful for any help

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 4
It very well could be the plating coming off is the problem as it is also used for corrosion resistance but since they work on everything else probably not the whole problem and since others work with the phone it is kind of strange. If they are getting that worn I would toss them out as new are only like $15 and those are several years old now. I understand wanting to know why something is happening but I would just get new ones or something different and get on with life and not worry about the small stuff.

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 4
It very well could be the plating coming off is the problem as it is also used for corrosion resistance but since they work on everything else probably not the whole problem and since others work with the phone it is kind of strange. If they are getting that worn I would toss them out as new are only like $15 and those are several years old now. I understand wanting to know why something is happening but I would just get new ones or something different and get on with life and not worry about the small stuff.
Thank you for your reply. I see that just replacing them with new ones would be the obvious solution for many people but as someone who has to count every cent it would be irresponsible for me to toss them while they are still working in some way and have been in (very light) use for only a little over a year. The solution that I'm going with at the moment is carrying around my old phone with the broken screen in case I want to listen to something. The other option would be buying a very cheap pair with very poor sound which I would like to avoid since I am happy with the earbuds' sound. So I was hoping to find out what other options I have, like maybe scraping off the rest of the plating - would that make any difference? I'm not familiar with this topic at all
view
view

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 4
No scraping off the plating will likely not help. I understand the counting every cent I’ve been there but at that time I didn’t have a phone as cell phones weren’t a thing(and it seems you have two) or internet access ( as there was no such thing) and you definitely have it as you wouldn’t be talking to me half around the world otherwise. Other than that have no solutions for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back