World's Most Underrated Albums
Dec 2, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Blackwater Park and My Arms, Yours Hearse from Opeth. They truly are undiscovered gems from the rest of the uninfomed world; however, I'd like it to stay that way so MTV doesn't "eff" it up for them. MTV has the "UN-Midas Touch"... everything they touch turns to crap.

Damn, you beat me to it. ; ;

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #17 of 48
Both albums by Tinstar are underrated. It's a perfect blend of rock and electronica.

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #18 of 48
My dedicated one man fangroup of Elend is here to stay!

Really, if a group does the darkest, most sinister and sad classical orchestra compositions ever made (?) and spices them up with industrial elements, sampling and Shpongle-like sound manipulation, they do deserve to get known. Winds Devouring Men, Sunwar The Dead and the totally out of print The Umbersum are gems. Darker than anything I have found from dark metal. As a quick introduction, listen to the track "Silent Slumber". Using this song as the closer track of a very, very sad movie could cause the audience to commit suicides...

Edit : Another one.

Hidria Spacefolk - "Balansia" and "Symbiosis". Very much like Ozric Tentacles, but Hidria doesn't sound like a jam band. Instead they do make great, catchy and melodic prog instrumental spacerock albums. Even though they have released only two albums, they really do have amazing, undiscovered talent.

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #22 of 48
Don't know, Still Life is my favorite. Didn't really like Blackwater Park after "The Drapery Falls," although "Patterns in the Ivy II" on the bonus disk was quite good.

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #23 of 48
Best mainstream music group I have never seen mentioned here is:

Madder Rose

They are much better than the average group they rave about at Pitchfork, dreamy female vocals, real inventive musicanship, the whole package. Try Panic On album for less that $1 used at Amazon:

B000002IY9.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

If you want me to compare it to something I say 1st Mazzy Star album is somewhat similar in style although Madder Rose is more diverse.

Dec 4, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #24 of 48
Pink Floyd's "Obscured by Clouds"
One of their best albums, but hardly ever mentioned. Kind of a Rosetta Stone to the group. It really showcases the breadth of the band,starting from the earlier Syd Barret era, to the end of the Roger Waters era. Good stuff.

Brian.

Dec 5, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #25 of 48
I'm gonna say Alice in Chains' "Jar of Flies" and Infectious Grooves' "The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move". AiC showed that they were very mature songwriters on Jar of Flies, with a very atmospheric sound and great but depressing lyrics. Infectious Grooves, on the other hand, is the Red Hot Chili Peppers on steroids. Great party album, with Robert Trujilio showing that he could kick Flea's ass on and off the bass.

Dec 5, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #26 of 48
[size=medium]BUCKETHEAD: POPULATION OVERIDE !!!!!!!!![/size]

Dusty Chalk introduced me to this disc at a meet a while back. Much thanks Dusty. I've listened to the disc maybe 100 times already and it never gets old.

600smile.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #27 of 48
The God Machine's SCENES FROM THE SECOND STOREY.

One of the most amazing, emotional, rocking albums you'll ever hear. Massive, huge, hypnotic, chilling.

Find a copy if you can.

Dec 5, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #29 of 48
I think almost all Todd Rundgren albums are extremely underated. Something/Anything got a little bit of media coverage, but I think it should have had more.

A Wizard a True Star, and Todd are both really good albums that got no coverage. Faithless was an amazing album, in which the first side of the album is complete covers of songs. But no, he doesn't sing these Beatles songs in his own way, he copies them exactly. When I did an A/B of Todd's and Harrison's "While my Guitar Gently Weeps", I couldn't tell the difference they were so similar. I found this just incredible.

Dec 5, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyTheCat
I'll say Oysterhead, self titled. Les Claypool, Trey Anastasio, Stewart Copeland...how can you go wrong?

Wow! I never even heard of Oysterhead. You know damn well that's going straight to my wish list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back