World's Most Underrated Albums
Dec 5, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I'm gonna say Alice in Chains' "Jar of Flies"; AiC showed that they were very mature songwriters on Jar of Flies, with a very atmospheric sound and great but depressing lyrics.

Ill second that, I fully agree.
Gee wonder where you got your name
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #32 of 48
After listening today on my new gear, feel the need to add..

Guns N' Roses-  "Chinese Democracy"

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #34 of 48
The Smashing Pumpkins - 'Machina II'

Mostly overlooked because it never had a retail release and was distributed freely over the internet back in 2000; a time when only nerds knew how to get in on it.

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #35 of 48

Quote:
The Smashing Pumpkins - 'Machina II'

Mostly overlooked because it never had a retail release and was distributed freely over the internet back in 2000; a time when only nerds knew how to get in on it.

Good pick. I'd argue that 'Machina' could be considered underrated as well.

Here's some of my picks, sticking with overlooked works by well-known artists (there are plenty of great, overlooked albums by obscure artists):

Our Lady Peace - Spiritual Machines
The general impression I've gotten in regards to this band is that people either think they're silly or they kind of like their mid-90's material. I think this album and 'Gravity' are really good. Streamlined, hard-hitting songs, thoughtful lyrics, great sense of melody; uplifting.

Kenna - New Sacred Cow
He may be remembered as more of a one-hit wonder by some, but this album has some classic jams. File under: synth-pop, hip-hop, clubby stuff with good lyrics.

Psychedelic Furs - Forever Now
Gruff and melodic punk/new-wave with many classic gems. I've never heard anyone talk about this album.

Q and Not U - Power
The D.C. band kept pushing the envelope on their third and final album. I think this album is often passed over in favor of their more punk albums.

The Prodigy - Fat of the Land
I'm sure this album is revered by many, but in the grand scheme of things I think a lot of people got the wrong impression from The Prodigy and are overlooking the creativity and innovation of their music.

Pinback - Pinback
They've grown more popular with their last few albums, but their first album retains a certain magic, and I've never heard it talked about much.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #36 of 48
I think Mike's Oldfield's "Heaven's Open" is underrated. I really like the music - it's very energetic, melodic and generally pretty high quality stuff IMO. And yet many people don't like it. It's really too bad.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #37 of 48
The Gathering - if_then_else and How to Measure a Planet? - Underrated because the band is underrated. Both albums are in my Top 20.

Richie Sambora - Undiscovered Soul - I came to it as a huge Bon Jovi fan and even after all these years later I still return to it, even while I rarely put in any Bon Jovi discs. It's just a superb collection of singer/songwriter songs that range from great blues to poignant acoustic numbers (give Harlem Rain a spin).

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #38 of 48
The The - Mind Bomb (1987). Matt Johnson is/was a multi talented genious and his very political/religious opinionated lyrics still hold it grounds today- more than twenty years or so later. Johnny Marr (Guitar) is also included on this album at maybe very close to his best.

Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen (1993) Didn't receive the recognition it deserved at that time. They manage to melt the heart of 60/70 rock/soul music into their own personal Grunge sound, but maybe the time wasn't right for them

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #39 of 48

Quote:
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage

Really anything by Zappa is underrated in my opinion. He was a misunderstood genius.

Zappa is the most important musician/composer of the 20th century by far....anyone who is seriously into rock or music in general, should at the very least read about him in wikipedia and then give him a listen.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #40 of 48
Wow - I haven't given "Joe's Garage" a spin for awhile. But it might be my favorite Zappa album.

Not to tread in forbidden waters here, but doesn't the Central Scrutinizer seem prescient these days?

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #42 of 48
Underrated genre? Ambient. I mean for actual listening. The popular stuff, by and large (if we use Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works and Brian Eno as an example) is terrible. Of course some fantastic albums, such as Biosphere's Substrata are popular too...

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #43 of 48
Pat Metheny Group, "The Way Up"...67 minute epic suite.  I have never heard a composer that could take an 8 note melody and twist it and turn inside out so masterfully to create such a backdrop of other melodies.

Ken Navarro, "The Grace of Summer Light"...contemporary jazz at it's best.  Very uplifting, somewhat complex but still quite accesible to the listener.  The 9 minute title track is worth the price of the cd alone.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #44 of 48
beck - midnite vultures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back