World's best headphone amp - and I'd never even heard of it ...
Oct 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #19 of 47
OK, ladies - you've had your fun - any chance we could keep the thread-crapping down to one post in a hundred, please ? 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #23 of 47
Quote:
That's just Entreq's weird signature termination.  It looks like the wooden hobbles on bathroom keys they give you at gas stations off the highway.

Now that we're comparing to apple, it would be most instructive to have a teardown of this product.  

Dont know how many reviewers are prepared to pull a review unit apart. I always assumed  that review units were insured and the reviewers werent liable for any damage, but reading a review on a 10K speaker recently it became obvious that isnt the case unless you are Stereophile or  TAS. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #24 of 47
The korean version is a more expensive version of a japanese amplifier. A korean liked what an old japanese did and decided he's going to design a nice case for it and market it for the iPod/Head-Fi/Kardashian generation not the stuffy field coil/old jbl/old tannoy/huge horns enthusiasts of japan. :D

Here's the original:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbakoon-products.com%2Fproducts%2FTNG%2Fsca-7511mk3.html&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

The japanese also has a headphone amp:
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=227621

Check out the dope current output headphone jack. Don't touch that one when music is playing, it's going to be shocking!!!

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #25 of 47
Had mine for about a week now. Was a bit worried for the first 3 days or so thinking I made a mistake. It sounded really loose and not controlled at all, no presence.
The 4th day when I turned it on and queued up a few faves, I was absolutely amazed. I don't know what exactly happened but ever since then it has been magical every time I have used it.
The bass control and overall large presentation is amazing. Blows away everything else I have had, as it should for the price. I am just glad that it is exceeding my expectations.

It may seem expensive but, the way I thought about it was. I could buy 5-6 amps over the next 10 years. Re-selling them for less money and losing out. Or I could buy something that is everything I need and expect and nothing more and never have to go through the hassle again. Right now I don't feel like I will need another amp in a long time. I am going to bring the bakoon over to a friends house who has a 50k setup and see how it performs next to some of his stuff.

6moons re-published a solid polish review : http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bakoon4/1.html
I especially like when he talks about how well it performs with the he6's which are pretty finicky and hard to get the full potential out of.

Worth a look if you are interested.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #26 of 47
Thanks for the feedback, kcee. I expect that there are still plenty of skeptics out there, but at least we now know the Bakoon wasn't ALL hype.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #27 of 47
Thanks for the feedback, kcee. I expect that there are still plenty of skeptics out there, but at least we now know the Bakoon wasn't ALL hype.

There always will be, especially when considering that price point. I personally couldn't be happier right now and that's all that matters.

Bakoon asked me if I would reply back with my impressions, when I go about writing that email I will copy and past it here. It may be a while though :cool:

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #28 of 47
Take your time - I'm always much more interested in impressions from folks who have lived with gear through the 'new toy joy' phase and into the 'meh - it's just an amp' reality. When you have totally forgotten the price, as we tend to do with new cars costing tens of thousands, that's when the pros and cons really seem to come to the fore. I'll get back to you when I can afford to spend the price of a new car on audio - till then, kudos for having the guts to put your money where my mouth is.  :D

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #29 of 47
mcee, can I ask if the price you paid was in the vicinity of the 4500 USD quoted in the 6Moons review ? In speaker amp terms, that's not exorbitant - I guess it's the form factor combined with the price that may have some folks noses slightly out of joint. The 'Japanese design adapted by a Korean' angle is fully explained in the review, and it would appear that there is nothing untoward in any of it - the Korean offshoot is very much a part of the design efforts of the Japanese parent.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 47
mcee, can I ask if the price you paid was in the vicinity of the 4500 USD quoted in the 6Moons review ? In speaker amp terms, that's not exorbitant - I guess it's the form factor combined with the price that may have some folks noses slightly out of joint. The 'Japanese design adapted by a Korean' angle is fully explained in the review, and it would appear that there is nothing untoward in any of it - the Korean offshoot is very much a part of the design efforts of the Japanese parent.

That price is in the vicinity yes ! Full retail is 4995 I believe, but there should be some wiggle room, there always is :D

I totally get that people think I am paying for how it looks or its size factor and how some people believe you need a microwave sized device to achieve great sound. Hell, some people don't even think integrated's are worth anything. 2 pieces or nothing kind of attitude. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. I would just say especially in this regards, save your judgement until you hear it/experience it yourself. If I told you right now you could spend 4-5 grand on an amp and you will be blown away every time you hear it and will not get the usual upgrade bug in a year, or maybe 10 years. Would you try it ? I did, thankfully I had a local source to try it out. Otherwise that is a huge leap to take just using someone else's thoughts as the basis.

Bottom line for me is this checks every box I had when seeking an integrated amp that for me would make me happy for along time. The prospect of buying another amp and liking it for just a year or 2 then getting the upgrade bug is not good. It's not good for your checkbook or for your psyche ! I will see in a few years, but I honestly feel like this will be my amp for quite a long time and in the end will most likely save me money. Not including the Bakoon I have bought 3 amps over the past 5 years, and another dedicated headphone amp. I lost a varying degree of money re-selling them eventually.

My mindset now is to future-proof my audio rig. So I do not get the bug to upgrade in a few years. This is one step. Another step that I achieved earlier was to take my entire vinyl path off the grid. The turntable, the phono-pre everything is battery powered, the ADC. I mainly did that to achieve the cleanest results from ripping. It has also had a huge effect on just listening to records, although the Bakoon isn't off the grid everything else up to that point is and it has had a hugely positive effect.

Anyways, I am getting onto another subject all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back