World Series??????
Oct 18, 2003 at 2:44 PM Post #16 of 27
Hey, I like the Marlins.
biggrin.gif

If it was BoSox in there instead of the Yanks, I would be all over that Florida bandwagon.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I agree, Cabrera is a stud.
That guy is a joy to watch on the field.

This may sound silly but I want a long series.
After the BoSox one, a five game series would be very boring.
Give me another game 7 in NY.
cool.gif

Oct 18, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by downingp
Is there really anyone who is interested in this year's world series? I personally will find it hard to watch. Not because I am a Cubs fan but because I see no excitement arising from this series. To me we have just seen two great series' between the Marlins/Cubs and Yankees/Red Sox. Can the World Series really live up to what we just saw??????

Why not? If you are a true Baseball Fan you should be able to watch it and enjoy it no matter what teams are there. Just because it's the Marlins/Yankees doesen't mean automatically that it will be boring.

You don't know what is going to happen until they play the games. Why can't it be exciting? The Marlins were good enough to get to the World Series, so they had to have done some exciting things to accomplish that.

Oct 19, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #18 of 27
Can somebody answer me this....

How can you have a WORLD Series when only American teams are invited to join? There are some really great teams in other parts of the world who are equally as good but never get a mention!

Oct 20, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
sorry if i'm stepping on any toes here, bootman, but even though those dastardly fish beat out my beloved cubbies, i'm going to be rooting for them in this world series.

I agree. Due to one very sore winner here on Head-Fi, I almost wanted to root against the Marlins
wink.gif
but I can't do it. Apart from Beckett, they're classy, they hustle, they play the game hard, and they don't give up. And if there's a classier guy in all of baseball than Pudge, I don't know who it is.

Oct 20, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 27
Originally posted by Trawlerman

How can you have a WORLD Series when only American teams are invited to join? There are some really great teams in other parts of the world who are equally as good but never get a mention!
[/QUOTE

The 1884 champion Province Grays (NL) and the Metropolitan Club of NY (AA) played three games "for the championship of the United States." The winning Grays were acclaimed in the press as "champions of the world," and the World Series was born.

Back then I do not think there was any interest in baseball outside the US.

Oct 21, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

And that whole Mr Universe thing is WAAAAY off.

And if the Yankees are just buying their championships, why has no else tried? The Red Sox spend a hell of a lot too but still lose. And teams near the bottom can and do win. The Angels did it just last year. The money helps the Yankees but they also make good choices- like not selling Babe Ruth.

Oct 21, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Well, the answer would be that there are some great "players" in other parts of the world, most noticeably in Cuba, the Dominican Republic, related areas, and a few from Japan, but certainly no "teams" that could be competitive with the major leagues here in the USA.

JC

Oct 21, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

And if the Yankees are just buying their championships, why has no else tried? The Red Sox spend a hell of a lot too but still lose. And teams near the bottom can and do win. The Angels did it just last year. The money helps the Yankees but they also make good choices- like not selling Babe Ruth

I realize the Yanks are a good team...they always are...World Series or not. I just have to wonder...almost 40 post season appearances in their history?? I'm not trying to make any of you believe it, but I just think someone in charge over there in N.Y. has "some" connections somewhere...wether it's through money or people. Here's one reason why...

My mom has a good friend who works with the A's...she does all the players contracts. And she has observed that the Yanks always get first dibs at all the "potentially" great players from around the nation (and around the world)...this is a behind the scenes observation. I'm not saying it's true, but I'm sure there's a whole lot that goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about. And I have a lot of respect for my mom's friend, so I take her opinions highly. Then again, it's only a game
biggrin.gif
But I'll talk to her again soon to see if I can get some more info out of her
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
This may sound silly but I want a long series.
After the BoSox one, a five game series would be very boring.
Give me another game 7 in NY.
cool.gif

Looks like I'm going to get my wish this weekend.

Time to breakout the prilosec.
eek.gif

Oct 24, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

While it's true that all the teams in Major League Baseball (MLB) only represent cities in the United States and Canada, most teams have players from all over the world making it a world championship in that respect.

MLB and Hockey (NHL) are probably the two most internationally diverse teams sports in North America. MLB has lots of players from the Caribbean, Central and South America and now an influx of players from the Far East (mainly Japan and Korea). The NHL has lots of players from all over Europe, mainly Eastern and Northern Europe (Scandinavia).

wink.gif

Oct 24, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #27 of 27
Posted by trawlerman:

"How can you have a WORLD Series when only American teams are invited to join? There are some really great teams in other parts of the world who are equally as good but never get a mention! "

I understand your point up to the "equally as good part". Think about this; in the olympics, pretty much every country in the world sends professional athletes to play baseball. In America, we still only send collegiate level players. Despite this, America's olympic baseball team is always one of the best in the world.

The same was true of basketball, once America started sending our basketball pro's the question of will America win or not became a given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back