World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement
Apr 26, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #32 of 629

Don't mean to be a negative nancy, but a huge opportunity was missed here.

An HE-400 redux is what a LOT of people want. If you guys can work on that and do what HFM refuses to do, even though it's been asked for years, the potential success is something you shouldn't take lightly.

The HE400i and HE400S are successors only in name, and have more in common with other HFM headphones, NOT the HE-400.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #33 of 629
Don't mean to be a negative nancy, but a huge opportunity was missed here.

An HE-400 redux is what a LOT of people want. If you guys can work on that and do what HFM refuses to do, even though it's been asked for years, the potential success is something you shouldn't take lightly.

Lol so as you were typing this, I was editing my previous post because I read "Aight" a couple times and it started to sound sarcastic to me. Didn't mean it like that, meant it literally. As in "Aight, I will call you when that happens". 

As the post now says, there's a lot I'd like to do with the HE-400 and HE-500 driver structure, you're spot on identifying the potential. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #34 of 629
Also adding Brainwavz Hm5 angled pads really added nice bass to the 300 so hopefully the same is true with these.

Yo, @CEE TEE and @WillBright, speaking of pads is there any way these can be made having removable "connectors"? The plastic rings I mean, I own the HE-400S and the rings are glued on to the pad itself - to me this is was not a big deal, I just ripped them out of the stock pads and stuffed them inside my Audeze pads and I then later ordered 2 stand-alone rings off of Hifiman directly for $10 (took like a month to get here from China). However for a $99 headphone $10 for connectors is relevant in my opinion, of course one can just cut them out of the stocks (a bit of a crude solution though is it not?) or actually use the stock pads. I have no idea how/if this would affect the production cost, just felt like this may be significant input for those of us who like flexibility. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #35 of 629
Seriously, if/when you guys do something with that double-sided magnet 400 driver... (single ended magnet drivers lacks the power in sound of the older HFM planars), a lot of us are gonna jump all in. Bunch of headphones later, I still go back to the original HE-400, despite its flaws (which is why an improvement is what we'd like).

Good luck with these, however. The price points sound like these will be quite popular themselves.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #37 of 629
Seriously, if/when you guys do something with that double-sided magnet 400 driver... (single ended magnet drivers lacks the power in sound of the older HFM planars), a lot of us are gonna jump all in. Bunch of headphones later, I still go back to the original HE-400, despite its flaws (which is why an improvement is what we'd like).

Good luck with these, however. The price points sound like these will be quite popular themselves.

Thanks man, YGPM 

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #38 of 629

Yo, @CEE TEE and @WillBright, speaking of pads is there any way these can be made having removable "connectors"? The plastic rings I mean, I own the HE-400S and the rings are glued on to the pad itself - to me this is was not a big deal, I just ripped them out of the stock pads and stuffed them inside my Audeze pads and I then later ordered 2 stand-alone rings off of Hifiman directly for $10 (took like a month to get here from China). However for a $99 headphone $10 for connectors is relevant in my opinion, of course one can just cut them out of the stocks (a bit of a crude solution though is it not?) or actually use the stock pads. I have no idea how/if this would affect the production cost, just felt like this may be significant input for those of us who like flexibility. 
smily_headphones1.gif

The pads are not glued to the plastic rings on any of our samples, got you covered : ) 

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #40 of 629
I seriously didn't mean to sound so negative, guys. Call it passion, waiting for HE-400 Neo (same bass, same lower mids, less treble peak) for like ever.

I'm sure the 350 is gonna be quite a headphone to beat at that price mark. I'm a little wary of the 5khz section, since I'm particularly sensitive to 5khz shenanigans, but otherwise, graphs make it look ideal for practically any situation.

The RE-0 was my first real audiophile grade IEM, so the fact you guys took on working on those is also quite interesting, though I'm not an IEM guy whatsoever.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #41 of 629
Yeah, I'm with Mad. A bass oriented HE-400 successor would be dreamy. Hifiman already has enough versions all aiming for the same flat/neutral tone (400S, 400i, 560), just at different price entries.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #42 of 629
How do the RE00 sound compared to the Shure SE215? The RE00 is much cheaper than what I paid for my Shures but from the reviews of the original RE0, it seems to be touted as "the best IEM" back in the day...

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #43 of 629
I do admit, though. If I didn't already have the 400i I'd be all over this, even with it being a dynamic.

Will this HE350 definite upgrade from Philips SHP 9500 in terms of sound quality?

It might just be! I also have the 9500 and am curious in reading how it compares.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #45 of 629
RE-00? Yessss please.

Started the IEM game late, always wanted to sample the early day HFM IEMs that put them on the map.

And better build quality? Yesssssss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back