World Cup Soccer 2006
May 8, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
It's football BTW
evil_smiley.gif

"Soccer" is such a gay name. It sucks all the glory out of Football when people refer to it as that. In the states, I get the impression that football(soccer) is a minor sport for immigrants or school boys, and the name "soccer" is just that which doesn't really fit fot the greatest sport of the planet! I understand it is there to avoid confusion from American football, but still, such an odd name. :p Personally, everytime I hear the word "soccer", I can't help but think its a completely wrong name. Its like calling basketball 'cricket'.
confused.gif
So yeah, nobody seems to be interested in the world cup that much here in New York.

Anyway yeah, I can't wait till the cup starts. It will be awesome. I'll keep an eye on Korea's team cuz I still feel sceptical about our performance last time around. I think this will be a proper test for us. Also interested to see Italy and France. Hope they do alot better this time around. I'm picking Brazil and Germany as champion contenders, but we'll have to see more to be certain.

May 8, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234
All I really care is that U.S. beats mexico.

I care about the the reverse of what you said.
biggrin.gif
Mexico always seems to suck when they play against the US in Columbus, Ohio
confused.gif
. Must be because there is only 1% of the pop. is hispanic. Anyway I say the US and Mex teams are equal in terms of who is better, its a great rivalry.

May 8, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
biggrin.gif
confused.gif
. Must be because there is only 1% of the pop. is hispanic. Anyway I say the US and Mex teams are equal in terms of who is better, its a great rivalry.

I don't think either one of these teams is particularly strong this year or will face eachother.

Given the bracketing, I don't see how Mexico will make it past Argentina or how the United States will manage to beat Italy or the Czech Republic to survive in their group.

-Matt

May 8, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
biggrin.gif
confused.gif

It is a good match, I agree. I just dont like s**ttalkers, expecially when mexico chanted those words a few years ago when U.S. payed in Mexico. But hey, its great to see cocky people loose like the last time when mexico lost to the U.S.

May 8, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

It is a good match, I agree. I just dont like s**ttalkers, expecially when mexico chanted those words a few years ago when U.S. payed in Mexico. But hey, its great to see cocky people loose like the last time when mexico lost to the U.S.

Ever heard the term 'soccer hooligan'? People are passionate about soccer, to put it mildly.

May 8, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #39 of 57
My favorite team is always Spain, but I don't think they are too strong this year. The cup will probably go to Ronaldinho's Brasil or to Lionel Messi's Argentina.

Did you know that Ronaldinho could win the FIFA World Player of the Year, Spanish National League, UEFA Champions League, and FIFA World Cup, all in the same year, thus being the first player in history to achieve this?

May 8, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CousCous
Ever heard the term 'soccer hooligan'? People are passionate about soccer, to put it mildly.

Oh? so your understanding about someone passionate about soccer or a hooligan, is someone who chants Osama? I'm not sure if you comprehened what I said or what happened. The Mexican standium chanted "osama osama osama..." refering to the lost lives of thousands during the U.S. anthem. Frankly, I dont care if they booed, threw rocks, or even burned the flag. but When we're talking about lost innocent lives, that crosses the line.

I think there's a fine line between a soccer hooligan and people shouting osama during a soccer match.

May 8, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #42 of 57
We were talking about national teams, not what the crazy audience says. Also, at least they did not get violent where people could of gotten hurt. Look at Argintina's league, there is always stupid people who start fighting because their team lost every year.

Quote:

I am sure the players in the Mexican team did not start those chants, nor did "Mexico". It was the stupid people in the Azteca stadium.

May 8, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeerkaas
And oh yeah,

PinkFloyd is right, it is football. Soccer just sounds silly

No, since most agree that WE are going to win it's voetbal!
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #44 of 57
It's football as we invented it!

We should get back to basics and ban the overpaid, over groomed posing players and get back to very long shorts, gentlemanly attitudes and tea at half-time. It should be played so that a referee is only needed to break up the handshakes from the opposing players given to the goal scorer so the game can restart promptly.

Crowd chants should be restricted to 'Well played sir!" ; "Fine ball control man!" all spoken in a civilised voice.

One forward from each team should also be made to wear crutches and answer to the name Wayne.

May be then we'll have a chance.....

I see that we have temporarily renamed 'Mars Bars' to 'Believe' as per the website marsbelieve

Steve
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #45 of 57
brazil will be my number one pick to go far.
i think usa will suprise people and make it out of group play

im still pissed off my dad couldnt get tickets
o well going to creighton soccer camp should be pretty sweet

and i told him he needs to get a hdtv for the world cup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back