World class sound out of HD650
Aug 13, 2005 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

flying dyn

New Head-Fier
Hello
I own a set of the famous Sennheiser HD650 and am truly delighted with it's performance. The amplifier I use for them is the Xcan V3. The source is the mighty Meridian G08; the rest of the (speaker based) system is Jeff Rowland Concerto integrated amp and Dynaudio Contour 1.3mk2 (they're temporary as I'm saving for a pair of Raidho's Ebens), all linked with Audioquest DBS cables.
Some weeks ago I started a thread about a replacement cable for these phones. Amongst wire sugestions came a remark sounding like this: "because you own a high end source(i.e. the Meridian) you should spend that money on the best amp you can get". Well...I ordered yesterday the cable, the Silver Dragon, and am seriously thinking about upgrading the amp as well.
I also red A LOT of reviews on Headfi just about anything concerning better (than mine) headphones and amps. The ones referring to the Omega 2 and Orpheus made a serious mark on me. Headroom's Home and Max lines as well.
Now...I haven't listen to electrostats other than the Staxes- Basic, Signature and Lambda Pro. As far as that goes I say only this: I wouldn't trade my present setup for any of them (they're very good but it is a matter of personal preference).
I would like from you guys some suggestions. What kind of amplifier would make my Senns sound comparable to the Omegas? With regards to resolution and soundstaging.
Or - what would be a better investment: the Omega system or a better amp for the Senns (strictly soundwise)?
My thoughts, right now, go like this: I'd either buy the Omega system OR the Headroom Max/Home (depeding on which of these two will be closer in price and performace, adding here the Senns, to the Staxes). I'm waiting for suggestions, ideas, remarks, etc
Thank you!

Aug 13, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 14
For Senns either SDS XLR or the Dynamight. After a few months with the Dynamight, I ultimately noticed that I like tubes more. So, I will sell mine most probably. Check my sig.

Aug 13, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 14
If you want to here the Senns shine I agree with the Singlepower SDS-XLR balanced amp, and balanced Zu cable. If this is out of your price range I would have Mikhail build either an MPX3-XLR, or even a PPX3 balanced. You will have to talk to Mikhail to see about price and options. Balanced tubes and HD650/Zu......mmmm, mmmm, good!
600smile.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 14
Would a PPX3 balanced sound better than a normal MPX3? I know one could only speculate, but I am hoping to buy a Singlepower sometime in the Fall when I get funds together. My Zu is already balanced.

dshea

Aug 13, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 14
This HeaddRoom Blockhead in the FS Forum may be just the ticket. Pick up a balanced cable (Blue or Silver Dragon from Moon, or a balanced Zu Mobius), and be done with it.

The balanced outputs from your lovely G08 will give the Block just what it craves, and the 650's and your ears will love you for it.

I've never heard 650's sound better than from a Blockhead. Admittedly, I've only heard the Balanced SDS under meet conditiions, and, while world class, it was not better than how a Blockhead sounds - every bit as good, just not better (to my ears, imho, etc).

Note, I don't know this seller, and am in no way endorsing his particular Blockhead, as I've neither seen nor heard it. Just making a suggestion ...

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 14
Thank you for your replies. The Blockhead does look attractive but I'll probably prefer a new one.
I also got suggestions referring to the Lehmann Audio amplifier. Would this amp be up for it(Omega system or Blockhead & 650) ???
Another interesting choice: Sugden HeadMaster.
Any impressions, remarks, experiences with these ones?
EDIT: I'd prefer a solidstate amplifier (most likely I'll buy it abroad and I'll expect quite a bit of lifespan from a multi multikilobuck investment). Tubes are more picky and require some special needs (I hate that).

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 14
I own the Sugden, I don't think it's in the same class as the other amps mentioned in this thread...

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 14
I currently own the Headroom Max and HD600 combo.

And I want to sell my setup and get the Omega II and SRM007t as a replacement.

So my advise would be to get the Omega's.

The reason is, althought they sound pretty good initially, after owning and listening to them very carefully for about a year. I noticed some suttle weaknesses in this combo. I just don't think vocals sound very clear, I want to get something with better resolution and detail.

Save yourself some time, but after I sell my setup, I'm having trouble spending 3k for the Stax setup.

So maybe I'll go headphones less and just be happy with speakers.

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I would also consider the HeadAmp Gilmore Balanced Reference in there somewere...

I concur. If I were getting a high end solid state amp for my senns it would be a gilmore design.
600smile.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 14
Best I've heard the HD-650 is SinglePower SDS-XLR. SinglePower demonstrated a balanced Supra at the San Jose meet that is about 1/4 the cost of the SDS-XLR. Other options I can recommend are the new Headroom Balanced Max (greatly improved over the Blockhead), and Headamp.com Gilmore Balanced Reference (with Black Gates, the Gilmore becomes something special).

Aug 14, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 14
Although very hard to put in practice(due to unavailability in my country), I will try to make a direct comparison between the Omegas and the Senns driven by some high end amps.
Haven't got any feedback on the Lehmann amplfier yet. Could anybody tell me if this piece of gear is up to par with Gilmore reference, the Blockhead and the SDS-XLR ?
Considerring the price I would say not but the hi-fi world is full of surprises...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back