Working with Cardas wire
Dec 6, 2007 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FallenAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I just came across this method of removing the enamel off Cardas wire on a different forum and after trying it myself and finding it by far the most effective short of having a solder pot, I decided to share it with you guys.

The method is very simple, and although a 750F iron would help, it's not necessary. I have tried it on SOLID wire, which by the way is VERY cheap from Percy Audio (just add Teflon tubing and you've got a fantastic deal!)

1) Cut / Snip end of cable to a flat edge (snips / wire cutters usually leave a flat edge only on one side - I just learned this yesterday).
2) With a hot soldering iron, press against the flat edge where there is no enamel to heat the wire through.
3) After a few seconds, apply solder to the tip. You should see the enamel start to boil a little and recede back from the edge of the wire, leaving it nicely tinned.
4) Move the soldering iron farther up the wire, leaving it on the tinned part and apply more solder. You can basically travel up the cable, adding solder as necessary and get a perfectly tinned cable in about 30 seconds without damaging the wire by scraping the cable or using a lighter to burn and stain it.

This worked for me SO much better than anything I've tried before, and I even enjoyed working with Cardas cable
cool.gif

Oh, and the result sounds fantastic! Good luck to everyone.

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 3
Wow, perfect timing! Thanks for the advice.

I just purchased some Cardas wire to hookup my MHMax. Hopefully I can get around to casing it up in the next week or two. Right now it's rigged with RS wire - I look forward to changing that out with the Cardas
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 3
I guess I dont get it I have read on these forums how hard cardas cable is to work with so I have left it alone. The other day I took my cardas cable the smurf blue one apart didnt like the length so I shortened it to five feet. I did not have any problems what so ever trimming the cassing off the four wires and tinning the copper wires with silver solder and soldering the leads to a new jack and hardwireing the other leads to my HD-600 boy do they sound good way smoother then with the plugs that come on the cardas cable when you buy it and now I can put two five foot cables on two diffrent headphones. By the way I used a jewelers hoop to look through and a very sharp razor blade to take off the covers on the wires and didnt damage any of the wires very simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back