Work with iMod?
Dec 2, 2007 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Austin 3:16

500+ Head-Fier
iPod powerStick

On the go I could use a little more time of battery life. Will said product work with a 5.5g iMod?

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 16
Looks like it plugs into the lineout so it would only work with the 4G version. I have something like the power stick but I've never used it on my 4G iMod or anything else for that matter.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 16
Well it works with the USB cable it came with, thus shoulg work with the battery pack. If I remember right it's says it work with other line-outs, in which the battery pack isn't.

Anyone know 100% sure?

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 16
i've never used one so i can't say for sure, but i don't
see why it wouldn't work with a 4th gen. imod.

EDIT: oops. wasn't paying attention that you own a 5.5 gen.
if the lineout of a 5.5 gen is in the bottom then i'm not so sure.
but maybe.

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 16
You still charge with USB over the dock port right? If it still uses the stock cable for charging then I don't see why this wouldn't work, but then again, I have no idea for sure. I can see why you would have concern over it, so I would wait for someone to confirm that this will work, but I would think it would. You would definitely lose line-out while you're using it though.

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would definitely lose line-out while you're using it though.

You contradicted your answer. He wants to use it with an 5.5g iMod which requires the line-out for quality playback while "on the go" like he wants.

BTW, ALO can build you an iMod or iPod cable with charging capabilities for an extra $85.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 16
There is no reason it wouldn't work since, as Jon118 mentioned, it is just like charging from a stock dock connector to USB cable. However, you will not be able to take advantage of the iMod's feature because then you would be left with using the headphone jack. The only way you can access the quality line out feed from a 5+ gen iMod is via LOD connector with caps in the signal path.

So you gain playing time but lose SQ in a nutshell.

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no reason it wouldn't work since, as Jon118 mentioned, it is just like charging from a stock dock connector to USB cable. However, you will not be able to take advantage of the iMod's feature because then you would be left with using the headphone jack. The only way you can access the quality line out feed from a 5+ gen iMod is via LOD connector with caps in the signal path.

So you gain playing time but lose SQ in a nutshell.

x2

p.s. you could always get a dock splitter (SPI. iPod dock connector splitter isolated - very bottom right) and use the charger stick/pack and line out simultaneously!

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 16
On the go I wouldn't use the line-out. And on the go, I'd need more playback time.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post in this thread.

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the go I wouldn't use the line-out. And on the go, I'd need more playback time.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post in this thread.

So you'd only be taking advantage of the iMod's improved features at home?

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you'd only be taking advantage of the iMod's improved features at home?

The large Vcaps case & Tomahawk are a bit much in size/weight to lug around riding my bicycle.

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The large Vcaps case & Tomahawk are a bit much in size/weight to lug around riding my bicycle.

Ah, I didn't realise you were only planning to use the V-Cap dock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back