Word on the EW9 (No I don't mean ESW9!)
Feb 7, 2008 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

barmar46

100+ Head-Fier
Another one of my long stories but the short of it is still a strange tale. For portable use (around the house, at a coffee shop, etc.) w/classic ipod and Pico amp/dac, what are strengths and weaknesses of the Audio Technica EW9 (wood clip on kind not the ESW9 you all love.). Alex at ApureSound has some sweet looking cables and that have got me wondering. I've already ordered AKG K271s but can return them if I choose. I know they are huge comparatively, but have a long standing reputation for quality. And given my situation, the EW9s and K271s are my only 2 choices. (I have HD650s for home and also Shure 530 iems that I'm not real comfortable with.) SQ is the number one concern. Can't have too much on the high end. I'm real sensitive. I appreciate you're help here once again. You've all been great so far when I'm out there playing "oddball."

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 7
Strengths: probably the most capable clip-on on the market - detailed with good extension.
Weaknesses: weak bass and not everyone can get the right fit. Without the fit - sounds anemic and relentlessly bright.
No isolation to speak of...

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strengths: probably the most capable clip-on on the market - detailed with good extension.
Weaknesses: weak bass and not everyone can get the right fit. Without the fit - sounds anemic and relentlessly bright.
No isolation to speak of...

Nice summary. If you don't mind so much, may I suggest the ESW9 instead? They're not much more expensive (although I haven't priced the EW9 for some time so I may be wrong about that); they're almost as light weight (to the point that it makes no practical difference); they're a lot better sounding; they're just as good looking; they provide much more isolation. Whereas the EW9 are a hit or miss depending on fit, the ESW9 are a definite hit and still better than the EW9 even on the EW9's best day. So in my view, the price difference is the only thing that would make me consider the EW9 (assuming that they're substantially less now-a-days).

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 7
An obvious +1 at that. At being portable ESW9 runs all over K271, and it does the same to EW9 at good sound...

Heh, personal comment - for those who have seen at what rate I went through cans over the last year (when I finally decided to stop sitting on HD595), the fact that I still have ESW9 and don't bitch about it says a bit =]

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 7
I know the ESW9 is the winner hands down. The deal is I have this credit thing going on w/Amazon.com and so it works out that I'm down to choosing between the above mentioned phones. I started w/the 271s because ASR had them along w/the AT W5000 as the best of 2007 in the closed phone category and Headroom likes 'em a lot. But they're big and not very "sexy." The EW9's look cool and are more for portable use. And I saw APureSound had a cable for them. Still that clip on thing holds me back. So the choice that I have to make doesn't include the ESW9s even though, I wish. So far no one has commented or compared the EW9s to the K271s. Any takers?

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with the K271's to comment intelligently. You have them, so what is it that you like / don't like about them?

Edit: Oops, now I see that you've ordered them but you don't have them yet. I was thinking that if you could provide your own analysis of the K271, then I might be able to guide you a bit as to whether the EW9's might be an improvement. Guess not.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 7
i'm pretty surprised with somewhat weird reviews. have a look at them.

this is from zdnet:
Quote:

Comparisons with our Etymotic ER-4P in-ear headphones ($330) put the ATH-EW9's sonic charms in perspective. The ATH-EW9 had greater clarity, but the ER-4P solidified the bass, which was deeper and more powerful.

source: ZDNet Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 Review & Comparison

...and this is from cnet.com.au:
Quote:

The Audio-Technica ATH-EW9's bass is as pure as its treble, but the lightweight sound won't rock anybody's world. Whether Radiohead or Aerosmith was playing, the sound was too insubstantial to be believable. When we switched back to the ER-4P, the sound kicked butt. Classical music was thrilling over the ATH-EW9, where its purity of sound came to the fore. Acoustic jazz was also excellent.

source: Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 Review - MP3 Players Accessories

do you really think that ew9s beat er4s as "clarity" is an issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back