Woo's New Flagship WA33
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #2,881 of 3,214
I did an interesting test last night. I hooked up my Hugo to go to the WA 23. I wanted to compare it to the WA 33 with the Farad , Dave and the MU1. The holographic music cloud that is projected around your head with a WA 33E... MU1 and farad Dave is really extraordinary. Hard time seeing much of a step up from this. Another level vs everything I have heard in the past. H2go to wa23 was great. But there is this added holo air with the 33e combo that is magic. Really sense like your are at the pinnicle of modern HP sound it's actually addictive to some.extent.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,882 of 3,214
So, I started to get some hum in my right earcup with 300ohm ZMF headphones only. I'm assuming it's a tube issue. What causes hum? How can I isolate the issue?

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #2,885 of 3,214
I've an incoming BNIB quad of KR 2A3 HP Power Tubes as well as a BNIB KR Audio RK 5U4G Anniversary Edition Rectifier Tube.
This will be my first time hearing another brand of power/rectifier tubes beside stock, EML and UE-USAF 596. I really enjoy my EML tubes very much--been using them since ~'18 so I hope I appreciate their sound differences in my chain with my headphones.

I know the 274B is a direct replacement for the 5U4G--but I wanted to go with the KR 5U4G being this is what the amp specifically calls for. Should have all of them some time this week. Anyone have experience between the KR 5U4G and the RK Anniversary Edition? I'm thinking it's minimal--but still searched high and low to obtain this particular tube.

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #2,886 of 3,214
I've an incoming BNIB quad of KR 2A3 HP Power Tubes as well as a BNIB KR Audio RK 5U4G Anniversary Edition Rectifier Tube.
This will be my first time hearing another brand of power/rectifier tubes beside stock, EML and UE-USAF 596. I really enjoy my EML tubes very much--been using them since ~'18 so I hope I appreciate their sound differences in my chain with my headphones.

I know the 274B is a direct replacement for the 5U4G--but I wanted to go with the KR 5U4G being this is what the amp specifically calls for. Should have all of them some time this week. Anyone have experience between the KR 5U4G and the RK Anniversary Edition? I'm thinking it's minimal--but still searched high and low to obtain this particular tube.
Yes, I have various 5u4g and 5u4gb, difference is important, 5u4gb open sound, so if you use kr 2a3 it will be a good combination, using Eml, I prefer 5u4g standard, at the moment I use and prefer mesa 5u4g over kr 274b and kr 5u4g. I also try 274b tube but for my ears amplifier lost power and dynamics

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #2,887 of 3,214

I use the Kr 5u4g anniversary tube in my Lampi pacific Very dynamic and clean sounding tube,I also use KR2a3 tubes in my Studio T & enjoy them as well.

Nov 12, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #2,888 of 3,214
Yes, I have various 5u4g and 5u4gb, difference is important, 5u4gb open sound, so if you use kr 2a3 it will be a good combination, using Eml, I prefer 5u4g standard, at the moment I use and prefer mesa 5u4g over kr 274b and kr 5u4g. I also try 274b tube but for my ears amplifier lost power and dynamics
Yes--I understand the importance of the rectifier in the WA33 and appreciate your input. I was just asking in others experience if the KR 5U4G and the KR 5U4G RK Anniversary Edition is minimal like I'm thinking it will be.
I use the Kr 5u4g anniversary tube in my Lampi pacific Very dynamic and clean sounding tube,I also use KR2a3 tubes in my Studio T & enjoy them as well.
Good to hear the KR 5U4G RK Anniversary Edition is very dynamic and clean sounding. You're using the KR 2A3--not the HP, correct?
I'm asking because I'm also thinking there's a minimal difference there as well. So why did I buy the KR RK AE and the HP? Because I'm pretty sure I'd be wondering if the difference between them would've been worth the extra cost and didn't want that on my mind.
Thanks, Tom--hope all is well with you.

Nov 12, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #2,889 of 3,214
I was just asking in others experience if the KR 5U4G and the KR 5U4G RK Anniversary Edition is minimal like I'm thinking it will be.
I own both, the anniversa is the better tube (though might as well be made of unobtanium at this point).
I run the standard KR tube in my WA33 And like it a lot, I liken it to a super RCA 5U4G, many of the same strengths, but more.
the anniversary I use in my DAC.

Nov 13, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #2,890 of 3,214
I own both, the anniversa is the better tube (though might as well be made of unobtanium at this point).
I run the standard KR tube in my WA33 And like it a lot, I liken it to a super RCA 5U4G, many of the same strengths, but more.
the anniversary I use in my DAC.
Thank you for your opinion on both--I appreciate it. And yes--as I mentioned, I searched high and low for the KR RK AE.

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #2,891 of 3,214
Yes--I understand the importance of the rectifier in the WA33 and appreciate your input. I was just asking in others experience if the KR 5U4G and the KR 5U4G RK Anniversary Edition is minimal like I'm thinking it will be.

Good to hear the KR 5U4G RK Anniversary Edition is very dynamic and clean sounding. You're using the KR 2A3--not the HP, correct?
I'm asking because I'm also thinking there's a minimal difference there as well. So why did I buy the KR RK AE and the HP? Because I'm pretty sure I'd be wondering if the difference between them would've been worth the extra cost and didn't want that on my mind.
Thanks, Tom--hope all is well with you.
I am running the regular Kr2A3 Itreid Nos RCa and 2a3s & preferred the Krs. I do have aQuad of NOS Ken rads I need to try.
All is well One of these days you have to come over with Joe

Nov 13, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #2,892 of 3,214
I am running the regular Kr2A3 Itreid Nos RCa and 2a3s & preferred the Krs. I do have aQuad of NOS Ken rads I need to try.
All is well One of these days you have to come over with Joe
Glad to hear all is well. That would be good to get together--but that all depends on Joe--lol!
I've been listening the the KR 2A3 HP for ~3hrs now with the USAF 596 (I'll receive the KR 5U4G RK AE tomorrow) and they sound really nice out of the box. I've been using the EML 2A3 for ~5yrs now so my brain is very well tuned to their sound. Would be interested when you get around to hearing the Ken-Rad how you like their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back