Woo's New Flagship WA33
Sep 24, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #2,776 of 3,214
In a fit of uber upgradeitis I bought a WA33 Elite and 1266 Phi TC.... should be here in the next week or so. Also have my Farad super 3 coming for Dave and just received a Utopia 2022.... and grabbed the Grimm MU1 2 weeks ago.

WA33 Elite and 1266 PTC better live up to hype VS Farad Dave alone or I will sell pretty fast... all excellent condition.. hoping for the best and will most likely be impressed... but if anyone wants to front run and express interest on a massive discounted Elite + 12PTC let me know ill put you on a short list. Im in Cali.

Also got the Kef Reference 3 Meta 2 weeks ago as well... and looking fwd to plugging in the WA33 as preamp on a Parasound JC5 (400W/chan)

Will report in with the various chain bits one by one.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #2,777 of 3,214
1000012978.jpg

KR274B in the house thanks to @ColSaulTigh

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #2,778 of 3,214
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #2,779 of 3,214
If there are any Wa33 owners in the Toronto area who would be willing to let me come over and have a brief listen, please let me know. I'd be very grateful.

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #2,780 of 3,214
If there are any Wa33 owners in the Toronto area who would be willing to let me come over and have a brief listen, please let me know. I'd be very grateful.
Headfoneshop is a Woo Audio dealer in Toronto from the Woo website. Maybe, call them and ask them for a WA33 audition?

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #2,781 of 3,214
In a fit of uber upgradeitis I bought a WA33 Elite and 1266 Phi TC.... should be here in the next week or so. Also have my Farad super 3 coming for Dave and just received a Utopia 2022.... and grabbed the Grimm MU1 2 weeks ago.

WA33 Elite and 1266 PTC better live up to hype VS Farad Dave alone or I will sell pretty fast... all excellent condition.. hoping for the best and will most likely be impressed... but if anyone wants to front run and express interest on a massive discounted Elite + 12PTC let me know ill put you on a short list. Im in Cali.

Also got the Kef Reference 3 Meta 2 weeks ago as well... and looking fwd to plugging in the WA33 as preamp on a Parasound JC5 (400W/chan)

Will report in with the various chain bits one by one.
You won't be disappointed. I have owned the Abyss 1266, 1266 Phi and currently 1266 Phi TC. There is nothing else like them. (I also own a pair of Focal Stellia's and ZMF Verite C's). You've probably already done a ton of research and know how unique the Abyss' are. They look and feel weird at first, but ultimately are just as comfortable as most other cans for stationary use. Just be sure to orient the pads correctly and also avoid too snug of a fit. (JPS Labs YouTube channel is a great resource).

I have also just purchased the Woo WA33 (standard edition) and so far, love it. Looking forward to doing a LOT more listening (Chord Hugo TT2 & MScaler fed from Roon). I also plan to try the WA33 as a preamp for my KEF LS50 Metas (dual Schitt Vidar's in balanced mono mode)

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #2,782 of 3,214
1000013121.jpg

Holton Audio DC blocker. This thing quietened the WA33 straight away. The hum also reduced a lot through the Utopia 2022 headphones.

Made in Australia too!

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #2,783 of 3,214
My Tak 2A3s come Thursday. I can't wait to try them out!

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #2,785 of 3,214
if you hooked up your Dave to the wa33 in preamp mode NOT DAC mode and turned the vol up all the way on the Dave can you harm the WA33?
The WA33 might clip if you turn the volume up high enough, given it's going to be a "hot input", that could damage whatever output device was connected. But that's usually self limiting, i.e. you stop turning up the volume because your ears hurt.

The way almost all headphone amps work, the input signal runs through a pot that acts as a divider, so the amp sees the voltage after the volume control, they are them just fixed gain devices, there are some amps that put volume between stages or after a buffer, in which case the input can clip, but it won't "hurt" the amp.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,786 of 3,214
Looks like Woo has the WE 417s back in stock. I’m thinking of pulling the trigger b/c I’m sure there won’t be a ton available. It’s a lot of $$$, though, and I’ve heard they can be a wee bit noisy. If the magic happens, I don’t mind paying the price, and I’d love some impressions from those who have them. Thx.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #2,787 of 3,214
First impressions of the Tak 2A3s. The sound is cleaner than the KRs. The bass and dynamics are fine (I don't feel like I'm missing anything from the KRs). The sound is a bit more 3D. These sound a little bit sweeter than the KRs.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #2,788 of 3,214
Looks like Woo has the WE 417s back in stock. I’m thinking of pulling the trigger b/c I’m sure there won’t be a ton available. It’s a lot of $$$, though, and I’ve heard they can be a wee bit noisy. If the magic happens, I don’t mind paying the price, and I’d love some impressions from those who have them. Thx.

If u want the best driver tubes for the wa33, they're the ones to get. I got mine off the headfi classifieds and saved a bit of coin. they're rarely put up for sale though. alternatively, email parts connexion or tubedepot and see if they have any, and then get adaptors from Deyan on headfi.

mine have no noise and my wa33 is pretty silent even with Utopia. they impart really nice mids and low end and a holographic sound. they're a decent jump up from the EH gold pins. it's like going from new production JJ/Genalex tubes to some nice NOS Mullards. totally different presentation.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,789 of 3,214
I do not have any noise from mine. i bought mine near NOS and got my adapters from @Deyan. The supply of NOS WE 417a seems to have dried up. Almost all you can find now are 5842 Amplitrex or Raytheon. You might try Brent Jessee and see what he has available.

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #2,790 of 3,214
what are these supposed to do over stock???? anyone with experience? is it a noticeable difference or just a minor lift?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back