Woo's New Flagship WA33
Oct 7, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #2,476 of 3,213
Does anyone have an opinion on what would be the more worthwhile purchase if you already own a wa33 and susvara headphones:

Adding the ahb2 amp so you can experience a SS amp and also using the wa33 as a pre or purchasing the abyss 1266 headphones to use with the wa33 alone?
I'd vote for another pair of headphones, it's going to be massively different than trying another amp for the Susvara.
Considering you already have a high end amp and it pairs magically with the 1266, you'll get much more for your money (you'll be spending more as well).
This setup will give you much more flexibility and different experiences than just adding more power to the Sus, it's not like it doesn't match well with the WA33.
I happen to have the same setup :wink:

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #2,478 of 3,213
Does anyone have an opinion on what would be the more worthwhile purchase if you already own a wa33 and susvara headphones:

Adding the ahb2 amp so you can experience a SS amp and also using the wa33 as a pre or purchasing the abyss 1266 headphones to use with the wa33 alone?
Imo you get more enjoyment out of a second headphone than out of a second amp for the Susvara.

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2,479 of 3,213

What about an R2R DAC and/or DDC? What's your source material?

Oct 7, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #2,481 of 3,213
I would also go with another pair of headphones to have a different flavor in sound.
The WA-33 is already a great headphones amp. If you have not upgraded tubes yet I would do that before buying a SS amp but that’s me…

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 7, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #2,482 of 3,213
I too would agree with going with another pair of headphones. The 1266 TCs and WA33 are amazing together, and have amazing combo synergy.

Oct 7, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #2,483 of 3,213
Also, I finally got another interconnect to use my 3ES Elite as a pre-amp into my WA33 EE JPS. It's crazy tube overkill, but it does change the character a bit. I'm still working on figuring out what exactly that difference is though. Things sound a bit more airy compared to no preamp. I feel like bass might even be a bit different (it might be hitting harder, perhaps). I'll continue to experiment, but adding in 300B tubes is interesting :thinking:

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #2,484 of 3,213
I am waiting for delivery of an MSB select 2 dac. I've just spent the last couple of months trying to decide between that or a DCS stack and for the WA33 and susvara I preferred the MSB although the DCS is also great. Source material is roon.
I prefer soulnote D3,X3,P3 and Z3 as source if you check their engineering design and materials being used, and more importantly the sound which you could demo in Capital Audio show next month, it is clear the soulnote 3 is more natural, realistic, musical, airy, less colored with analogueness.Good sound is a result of good design and materials.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #2,485 of 3,213
I have made two recent changes that has brought my WA33 to a whole new level. You mentioned trying a dCS stack. Was this the new Apex model? I am about 80 hours into burning in my Rossini Apex upgrade and the change is very noticeable. I am also about 300 hours into the new Takatsuki 2A3 power tubes. They are a noticeable upgrade from all the previous power tubes I have tried. My WA33 sounds better than ever.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #2,486 of 3,213
Also, I finally got another interconnect to use my 3ES Elite as a pre-amp into my WA33 EE JPS. It's crazy tube overkill, but it does change the character a bit. I'm still working on figuring out what exactly that difference is though. Things sound a bit more airy compared to no preamp. I feel like bass might even be a bit different (it might be hitting harder, perhaps). I'll continue to experiment, but adding in 300B tubes is interesting :thinking:
I am not understanding. The WA33 EE is already an integrated amp ( preamp and amp ). Why go through the 3ES? Wouldn’t that really be preamp > preamp > amp ?

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #2,487 of 3,213
I am not understanding. The WA33 EE is already an integrated amp ( preamp and amp ). Why go through the 3ES? Wouldn’t that really be preamp > preamp > amp ?
It's really technically 3 preamps because there are 3 places I can adjust volume (Chord DAVE, 3ES Elite, and then WA33 EE JPS). The 3ES is not needed at all; I'm just experimenting with it. The benefit to it basically is that I can use more tubes in my chain, and more specifically 300B tubes.

Oct 7, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #2,488 of 3,213
I have made two recent changes that has brought my WA33 to a whole new level. You mentioned trying a dCS stack. Was this the new Apex model? I am about 80 hours into burning in my Rossini Apex upgrade and the change is very noticeable. I am also about 300 hours into the new Takatsuki 2A3 power tubes. They are a noticeable upgrade from all the previous power tubes I have tried. My WA33 sounds better than ever.
I was doing an a/b between the msb reference and the new rossini apex and clock. I have the ta-2a3 tubes (so far that’s the only tube upgrade) as well and it sounded phenomenal with the rossini apex. The biggest difference was that I seemed to notice more details from classical in particular with the msb which made listening even more fun. I actually went into the comparison not wanting the msb to win as I wasn’t a fan of the msb dealer but loved the dcs dealer. Needless to say this is a slippery slope as I’m now looking at cabling, tube upgrades, ssd amps etc

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #2,489 of 3,213
It's really technically 3 preamps because there are 3 places I can adjust volume (Chord DAVE, 3ES Elite, and then WA33 EE JPS). The 3ES is not needed at all; I'm just experimenting with it. The benefit to it basically is that I can use more tubes in my chain, and more specifically 300B tubes.
If you want to add more 300B's, why didn't you say so!

Pick up one of these and you'll be in hog heaven!

https://www.acuhorn.pl/acuhorn-R2RXT.htm

Oct 8, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #2,490 of 3,213

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back