Woo's New Flagship WA33
Aug 30, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #2,461 of 3,213
I don't have a WA33, but in my WA6-SE's and my WA5-LE's the rectifiers make a big difference. The Sophia Princess 274B is a nice, big, bold sounding rectifier, albeit a bit bloomy and rich. The standard KR-Audio 274B is (IMO) anemic. It lacks any strength and suffers from tube fade. The Takatsuki is a great rectifier, nice and strong, adding a certain sweetness to the sound.

Having said that, I'm currently running Elrog 5U4G's in my WA5-LE and they're the best rectifiers (and 300B's) I've ever heard. Period, full stop.

YMMV

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #2,462 of 3,213
I don't have a WA33, but in my WA6-SE's and my WA5-LE's the rectifiers make a big difference. The Sophia Princess 274B is a nice, big, bold sounding rectifier, albeit a bit bloomy and rich. The standard KR-Audio 274B is (IMO) anemic. It lacks any strength and suffers from tube fade. The Takatsuki is a great rectifier, nice and strong, adding a certain sweetness to the sound.

Having said that, I'm currently running Elrog 5U4G's in my WA5-LE and they're the best rectifiers (and 300B's) I've ever heard. Period, full stop.

YMMV
Ah, the Elrogospel spreading far and wide.

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #2,463 of 3,213
Did they fix their durability issues?
I went that way when I had my WA5-LE and it was a painful experience….

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 30, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #2,464 of 3,213
Did they fix their durability issues?
I went that way when I had my WA5-LE and it was a painful experience….
It appears so, yes. New owners, new manufacturing QC in place. If you do go that route (which I highly recommend), get the 5U4G and not the 274B.
20220805_231553.jpg

Aug 30, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #2,465 of 3,213
It appears so, yes. New owners, new manufacturing QC in place. If you do go that route (which I highly recommend), get the 5U4G and not the 274B.20220805_231553.jpg
How come you don't recommend the elrog 274b?

Aug 30, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #2,466 of 3,213
How come you don't recommend the elrog 274b?
I tried a pair, they did not play well with the WA5-LE. Has to do with the plate voltage (I think, I'm not an expert). The Elrog 274B is not fully compatible. Hopefully someone with more technical knowledge can explain it better than I can.

Aug 30, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #2,467 of 3,213
It appears so, yes. New owners, new manufacturing QC in place. If you do go that route get the 5U4G (which I highly recommend),
I tried a pair, they did not play well with the WA5-LE. Has to do with the plate voltage (I think, I'm not an expert). The Elrog 274B is not fully compatible. Hopefully someone with more technical knowledge can explain it better than I can. get the 5U4G and not the 274B.
You can't really "recommend" the 5U4G over the 274B (or either) because you're using them in a totally different amplifier so the results will differ.

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #2,468 of 3,213
You can't really "recommend" the 5U4G over the 274B (or either) because you're using them in a totally different amplifier so the results will differ.
Fair point.

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #2,469 of 3,213
Changing the topic slightly..... I have searched this thread and not found an answer, so I think it is ok to ask :) . 20 years ago Jack Woo built me a custom WA2 with remote volume. I was an idiot and sold it, but am playing with the idea of using a WA33 as a preamp (70% of use) and headphone amp (30% of use). However, without remote volume it would be a pain and hence I was wondering if anybody here has inquired with Woo Audio regarding the possibility of remote volume. I own a Woo Audio WA22 and am currently using it as a preamp and believe it sounds fabulous. So, the thought is the WA33 would be even better in that regard, but remote volume is a deal breaker for me. Maybe Woo has grown so much that they don't accommodate such requests anymore. To be honest, Jack was not fired about it way back then, but he still did it and it worked great without any negative impact on sound quality. The audiophile mind never stops wandering and wondering....

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #2,470 of 3,213
Changing the topic slightly..... I have searched this thread and not found an answer, so I think it is ok to ask :) . 20 years ago Jack Woo built me a custom WA2 with remote volume. I was an idiot and sold it, but am playing with the idea of using a WA33 as a preamp (70% of use) and headphone amp (30% of use). However, without remote volume it would be a pain and hence I was wondering if anybody here has inquired with Woo Audio regarding the possibility of remote volume. I own a Woo Audio WA22 and am currently using it as a preamp and believe it sounds fabulous. So, the thought is the WA33 would be even better in that regard, but remote volume is a deal breaker for me. Maybe Woo has grown so much that they don't accommodate such requests anymore. To be honest, Jack was not fired about it way back then, but he still did it and it worked great without any negative impact on sound quality. The audiophile mind never stops wandering and wondering....

If you're going to use it as a preamp most of the time, how about just getting a dedicated tube preamp with remote, and using your wa22 for headphones or even an additional headamp to complement eg a nice SS one? would probably add up to a similar amount, or even less.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #2,471 of 3,213
I think its best to ask Woo Audio directly.

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #2,472 of 3,213
If you're going to use it as a preamp most of the time, how about just getting a dedicated tube preamp with remote, and using your wa22 for headphones or even an additional headamp to complement eg a nice SS one? would probably add up to a similar amount, or even less.
Thanks. I have an amazing two box Supratek Grange preamp plus the WA22, that's three boxes. I was thinking of ways to reduce box count without loss of fidelity through headphones or speakers. Price-wise it would be comparable. I will ask Woo, see what they say.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #2,473 of 3,213
How well WA33 drive speakers?
output is rated at 10 watt @32 ohms, how to equate @6 ohms .

my Harbeth C7ES-3 XD has Impedance @6 ohms and easy to drive

Oct 7, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #2,474 of 3,213
How well WA33 drive speakers?
output is rated at 10 watt @32 ohms, how to equate @6 ohms .

my Harbeth C7ES-3 XD has Impedance @6 ohms and easy to drive
At 86db sensitivity the Wa33 should be able to drive them with ease.

@HiFiGuy528 can you confirm this?

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #2,475 of 3,213
Does anyone have an opinion on what would be the more worthwhile purchase if you already own a wa33 and susvara headphones:

Adding the ahb2 amp so you can experience a SS amp and also using the wa33 as a pre or purchasing the abyss 1266 headphones to use with the wa33 alone?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back