Woo's New Flagship WA33
Aug 11, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #2,446 of 3,212
A little less than 20 hours in I can tell these tubes are special. Despite using my DAP as a source I am experiencing a bigger soundstage, better instrument separation and better bass response. The bad news is my Rossini is at least two weeks away so I am burning these tubes in and then will have to burn in the Rossini. I am so confident in the superiority of the Taks that I have put my quad of 1951 RCA 2A3 Nos Black Plates up for sale. Hit me up if any interest.

Aug 11, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #2,447 of 3,212
A little less than 20 hours in I can tell these tubes are special. Despite using my DAP as a source I am experiencing a bigger soundstage, better instrument separation and better bass response. The bad news is my Rossini is at least two weeks away so I am burning these tubes in and then will have to burn in the Rossini. I am so confident in the superiority of the Taks that I have put my quad of 1951 RCA 2A3 Nos Black Plates up for sale. Hit me up if any interest.
Thank you for sharing.

Are you using the TAK 274B as well, with Gold pins

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #2,449 of 3,212
Took delivery of a Lumin T2 that will go into my second system when my Rossini comes home from the upgrade center. I put the T2 into my system in place of my DAP. Now I can really appreciate how good these Tak 2A3s are. What I said before about soundstage and instrument separation is now more evident than ever. Perhaps the most fruitful upgrade I have made.

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #2,450 of 3,212
Found a great solution on Amazon to keep the WA33 relatively cool: This amazing smart fan. I set it in smart mode underneath my WA33 and it triggers the fans when the temperature reaches 88 degF. The fans extract the heat from the transformer to the back. It’s small, low key, quiet, smart and relatively cheap. It was a great buy for me and thought that some WA33 owners might find it interesting as well. For the price, given that it may increase the longevity of the transformer and other internal components, this is a steal and a must have imho.

6C418E71-A62F-4F84-8400-C0B0C5416C81.jpeg

I do the same with my WA33, but I do it in a tradisional way with two low noise portable fan attach at each side of the amp. It really bring down the temp significantly when the amp runs for an extended period of time.

1660931303497.jpg

Aug 20, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #2,451 of 3,212
I was just wondering if any folks have heard Woo W234 Mono Version II and may share some sonic impression or comparison? I really appreciate the quality bass and low extensions from 3SE which I didn't get from Wa33 nor Wa33 Elite.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #2,452 of 3,212
Hello fellow WA33 owners, just thought I share this finding after couple of days testing. I'm a Susvara owner and always looking for the next best thing to power the Susvara which I'm sure most of you are doing the same thing. I recently found that using WA33 as pre into another power amp (in my case Ferrum stack) works wonders to improve the bass definition and even micro details. Tracks are just much easier to listen to, with more meat to the bone, where else ABing to directly from WA33, tones are leaner and less present.

I can't quite explain this, but others like @linshu1992 are experiencing the same thing.

Also side note, Ferrum stack by itself felt lacking compared to WA33 which is per expectation. I was actually just looking for a solid state amp as a companion to the WA33, but found this preamp method which is surprising.

Would be keen to hear others opinion and if they have tried this.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #2,453 of 3,212
I have your combo too but I prefer ferrum stack alone rather than with wa33 as a pre. agree with your findings tho. to me, the combo seems to veer too much to a neutral sound (which is odd). I like the wa33 alone over using it as a pre. to me, it's a headamp first; unfair tho as I have a nice Primaluna pre which blows it out of the water if comparing as pre to pre.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #2,454 of 3,212
I have your combo too but I prefer ferrum stack alone rather than with wa33 as a pre. agree with your findings tho. to me, the combo seems to veer too much to a neutral sound (which is odd). I like the wa33 alone over using it as a pre. to me, it's a headamp first; unfair tho as I have a nice Primaluna pre which blows it out of the water if comparing as pre to pre.
Hmmm yeap, that is bothering me a bit, as in just using WA33 as a pre. Might have to investigate this primaluna :)

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #2,455 of 3,212
@atya35mm and anyone else.
I have the same itch, having a Solid State amp in addition to the WA33 EE JPS.
Recently tried the EF1000 (Hybrid amp) with the Susvara (I will post the comparison with the WA33 out later today on the Susvara thread).
BUT, thought I might use the WA33 as a preamp with the ABH2.
Has anyone experience of the two together with Susvara ?

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #2,456 of 3,212
@atya35mm and anyone else.
I have the same itch, having a Solid State amp in addition to the WA33 EE JPS.
Recently tried the EF1000 (Hybrid amp) with the Susvara (I will post the comparison with the WA33 out later today on the Susvara thread).
BUT, thought I might use the WA33 as a preamp with the ABH2.
Has anyone experience of the two together with Susvara ?
@linshu1992 currently doing exactly that. Very favorable impressions.

But wait, are you saying you have the EF1000 and you're still amp hunting?

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,458 of 3,212
Currently my impression with the WA33 preamp into Ferrum stack, is that it has all the details and soundstage of the WA33, but the Ferrum just calms everything down, making the micro details more present, more satisfying bass. Also, I'm detecting the mid range like vocals seems more forward and bit glaring if I go WA33 direct, but with Ferrum in the chain, it pushes the forward back and smooths it down making vocals more to my taste. Not sure trying another preamp will be better, but there goes more experimenting! :sweat_smile:

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #2,459 of 3,212
Pass, after months delayed, finally in the house. Next - see how the Woo Wa33 elite synergizes as a preamp with after it's fully broken in. I don't know if you can improve on this amp though ....

Also going to get some pro help positioning speakers and running ARC, which these ML13As have. It's been a while to get everything right because the first set of speakers had a defect. Dealer and Martin Logan were great and gave me a brand new set. Everything's working great. Now onto break in and optimize everything.

IMG-3906.jpg

IMG-3905.jpg

IMG-3907.jpg

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #2,460 of 3,212
hi there, anyone uses the sophia electric 274b as rectifier? Keen to hear how it compares to KR Audio and Tak. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back