Woo's New Flagship WA33
Jun 18, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2,387 of 3,214
Jun 19, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #2,388 of 3,214
Jun 19, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #2,389 of 3,214
I tried some similar stuff but have nothing to lose with their satisfaction guarantee. Ordered one. Will update here when it arrives. Thank you for the recommendation.
The Humdinger sounds like a good product. I bookmarked it for future reference. It may also allow you to get closer to the issue. Per the description of what it will not do:

It will not “Cure hum caused by a defective noisy power transformer. If the transformer has a loose core that hums the HumDinger may reduce the hum slightly, but will not eliminate it.”

So if there is still some hum, perhaps the transformer needs to be replaced per the above statement?

Jun 19, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #2,390 of 3,214
The Humdinger sounds like a good product. I bookmarked it for future reference. It may also allow you to get closer to the issue. Per the description of what it will not do:

It will not “Cure hum caused by a defective noisy power transformer. If the transformer has a loose core that hums the HumDinger may reduce the hum slightly, but will not eliminate it.”

So if there is still some hum, perhaps the transformer needs to be replaced per the above statement?
Yep I'm trying any options I can find before sending it for inspection and potentially a transformer replacement. I had a ifi DC blocker, ifi ground loop fixer, some Amazon brand line isolator and another hum reducer recommended in the Woo FAQ and none helped. Maybe the HumDinger is the one.

Jun 19, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #2,391 of 3,214
Takatsuki 274B's are extremely well balanced and clean, probably my #1 choice of tubes for sound purity. Having said that, they're not the warmest tubes in the world. I can't compare to the KR 2A3, but the KR 274B is rather weak and anemic by comparison. Very clean, but also very lean. No meat on the bones.
What I found that the Tak 274B with stock tubes sounded great bigger sound stage. But when I purchase KR HP 4 x 2A3 1 x 274B with the gold pins everything sounded cleaner and more impactful made the stock tubes sound grainy. I did not like the pairing of 4 x KR 2A3 with the Tak 274B or stock one. I recommend if you go all KR HP tubes stick with them and get a warm clean DAC. I’m running Chord Dave very clean awesome separation and impact but can sound too lean for my liking. Looking at MSB and other DACS now, I’m not a fan of DCS sound with my current gear. Trying to find a natural sounding DAC like the Dave..

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #2,392 of 3,214
What I found that the Tak 274B with stock tubes sounded great bigger sound stage. But when I purchase KR HP 4 x 2A3 1 x 274B with the gold pins everything sounded cleaner and more impactful made the stock tubes sound grainy. I did not like the pairing of 4 x KR 2A3 with the Tak 274B or stock one. I recommend if you go all KR HP tubes stick with them and get a warm clean DAC. I’m running Chord Dave very clean awesome separation and impact but can sound too lean for my liking. Looking at MSB and other DACS now, I’m not a fan of DCS sound with my current gear. Trying to find a natural sounding DAC like the Dave..
The holo may sounds amazing with the wa33, defintley leans towards the more analogue/denser/meatier sound.

Would love to hear an MSB DAC.

Jun 20, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #2,393 of 3,214
I find DACs by EMM Labs to be incredibly natural.

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #2,394 of 3,214
Yep I'm trying any options I can find before sending it for inspection and potentially a transformer replacement. I had a ifi DC blocker, ifi ground loop fixer, some Amazon brand line isolator and another hum reducer recommended in the Woo FAQ and none helped. Maybe the HumDinger is the one.
So after back and forth with the store I bought it from, I’m shipping back the WA33 to them as they are not willing to cover the shipping and potential cost of fixing the buzzing with Woo directly. They did offer me a small compensation but I don’t know that’ll cover even the shipping both ways for this heavy beast.

That’s pretty disappointing but I want to have a perfect amp for the money I spent…

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #2,396 of 3,214
Jun 22, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #2,398 of 3,214
Jun 22, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #2,399 of 3,214
I have one coming soon :wink:

For the love of gawd…have you become a headfi hoarder?!? Do we need to have an intervention? 🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back