Woo's New Flagship WA33
Aug 21, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,696 of 3,212
but under it all you can still see that beautiful girl you met when you were 16
Hmmmm, your beautiful post made me realise something. No matter how nice hobby this is, if I was 16 again and had this kind of money, I would definitely not spend them on headphones, but with that girlfriend of mine. Maybe it would be a car, driving her around, or a trip abroad, exploring the world. But it would definitely not be a time in solitude with my headphone system. I think, while trying to reach the headphone starts, I have lost touch with the giddy me, who wanted to impress a girl by doing silly things. I guess I should take a break from head-fi, and simply rekindle that spirit. Thank you again, for opening my eyes.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #1,697 of 3,212
Hmmmm, your beautiful post made me realise something. No matter how nice hobby this is, if I was 16 again and had this kind of money, I would definitely not spend them on headphones, but with that girlfriend of mine. Maybe it would be a car, driving her around, or a trip abroad, exploring the world. But it would definitely not be a time in solitude with my headphone system. I think, while trying to reach the headphone starts, I have lost touch with the giddy me, who wanted to impress a girl by doing silly things. I guess I should take a break from head-fi, and simply rekindle that spirit. Thank you again, for opening my eyes.

Not my intention, but I hear where you are coming from. Music is a beautiful thing and can nourish the spirit. But everything in balance. Sometimes we get so caught up in the gear, we don’t listen; not only to the music through our headphones, but to the wants and needs of our hearts.

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #1,698 of 3,212
Alas, shy of inheritance (and all its problems of entitlement…), what are the odds of being sixteen with “this kind of money”?…

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #1,699 of 3,212
Alas, shy of inheritance (and all its problems of entitlement…), what are the odds of being sixteen with “this kind of money”?…
Slim to none, unless you used your gaming laptop to mine some BTC when you were 13.

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,700 of 3,212
Anyone have thoughts on which upgrade might yield the greatest improvement for me?

Currently:
PC / Tidal > Audiovana > AudioQuest Carbon USB > Chord Hugo TT2 > AudioQuest Mackenzie RCA > WA33 standard tubes > Danacable Lazuli > Susvara

Considering upgrading tubes to KR, Chord mScaler, Phoenix Re-clocker - also open to any other ideas.
Appreciate any advice.

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #1,701 of 3,212
I am only familiar with mScaler and Phoenix from what I have read here. I am familiar with the effect of upgrade tubes on the WA33. The biggest bang for your buck in my estimation would be the KR tubes(power and rectifier). I have not heard the KR power tubes but have used the KR rectifier.b It is superior to the stock tube by quite a bit. Be aware that there a couple different versions of both power and rectifier with the HP version at the top(white base). Also shop around because you can find them discounted.

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,702 of 3,212
Anyone have thoughts on which upgrade might yield the greatest improvement for me?

Currently:
PC / Tidal > Audiovana > AudioQuest Carbon USB > Chord Hugo TT2 > AudioQuest Mackenzie RCA > WA33 standard tubes > Danacable Lazuli > Susvara

Considering upgrading tubes to KR, Chord mScaler, Phoenix Re-clocker - also open to any other ideas.
Appreciate any advice.
Considering mScaler is 4k, why don't you upgrade TT2 to Dave? You are using an external amp anyway, so you don't need TT2's power.

Aug 23, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,705 of 3,212
Buy used then.
Only because the Dave is pretty old at this point and I'm worried Dave 2 is around the corner.

Buying used is good advice, but I don't think Dave 2 is around the corner. We might see some Dave/MScaler combo pack - and as evidenced from the Dave thread, many find a tremendous amount of improvement with an upgraded power supply. I'd check in there too.

Rob Watts has said he's not going to build a new DAC until he can significantly improve on what he's built. Sure, it's possible that there is a further upstream model with all of the above included - but Chord is selling a ton of Dave's - for a niche audiophile product. I bought mine new a few used ago from Sound by Singer in NYC. He was the only dealer in NY that carried the choral line. Chord used to be very strict with their distributors, but it appears they've changed their policy because of their success.

Now, I can go online and buy it from Moon Audio or Audio 46 (both of which I love), but it just shows how more accessible it's become.

I may purchased some of the additional tweaks available on the chord thread (I already have WAVE Cables, an OPTO DX, M-Scaler, Batteries - and a variety of linear power supplies) (though not the big one - yet).

I fully expect to be using my Dave for at least another 10 years. After I max out my headphone rig (famous last words) - it will do double duty when I build a 2 channel setup.

Truthfully, I don't think anybody who buys Dave as a DAC can go wrong. It's really, really good.

And for what it's worth, I have the 33, Dave and M-Scaler and spent a lot of time with the TT2. You can't go wrong with any of the upgrades (Tubes, M Scaler, Dave). My personal opinion would be to upgrade to Dave first as well.

I just got in the queue to replace my Wa33 SE with an Elite Edition. I will share more after I receive it, but from what I've listened to at shows - I think it's going to be a huge upgrade. Since I've also bought some upgrade tubes (the Psvane ACME 2a3 really settled in nicely), I am done for a while. Or, I might buy a DC4.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #1,707 of 3,212

Currently:

Appreciate any advice.
I’ve owned many of these pieces of equipment.

I’d go upgraded tubes first, m-scaler second, then Phoenix third.

But, a DAVE would probably be placed 2nd after tubes, if you’re interested in replacing the TT2 (the jump up to DAVE is really impressive)

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #1,709 of 3,212

Currently:

Appreciate any advice.
I would guess tubes. I had a Dave, then added an Mscaler. Mscaler did not make a substantial improvement for me. Maybe 5%. I would focus on every other aspect of your system first....Tubes, equipment isolation, power supply, and cables.

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #1,710 of 3,212

Currently:

Appreciate any advice.
Tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back