Woo's New Flagship WA33
Aug 7, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #1,621 of 3,214
Just to add, I have the 596 USAF tube as well, being quite vintage not sure if it's that. Well could be anything I suppose, I'm just going to put it down to part of the tube amp charm. :smile_phones:

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #1,622 of 3,214
I think it's the body. A bit hard to tell though, but the way it pings, it's a heavier sound, a heavier ping if that makes sense so I reckon body.
I don't have your particular amp, but another high end tube amp I have experience with did the same. Especially on thermal shifts, like startup or cool down, it sounded like my petrol engine under the hood, clings and pings, was quite scary.

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #1,624 of 3,214
Hey all, anyone here experience weird sound coming out of them WA33 while it’s on? It’s not very often, but I hear “ping………”, like a spring releasing sound somewhere in the amp. This is not coming through the headphone, just from the amp itself. Last for about 1 second and happens not very ocassionally, but maybe once or twice in a 3 hour listening session. :thinking:

Just to add doesn’t impact sound quality or anything at all to the music coming through the headphone.
Yes, with easier to drive headphones I hear that ping when I first turn the wa33 on. It goes away pretty quickly, and I haven’t heard it at any other times after that.

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,625 of 3,214
I hear the same thing on occasion. I believe it is just thermal expansion. The case is part of the heat sink, so just things expanding due to heat soak. I would think it is normal.

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #1,626 of 3,214
Aug 8, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #1,629 of 3,214
Anyone tried NOS 2A3 Mono Plate in WA33? I know they're basically unobtainium or $$$$$ but you would be surprise what peeps have laying around and you can find them if you're willing to pay to play. Also there are other NOS 2A3, which are Dual Mono Plate and Bi-Plate at a very significant lower cost.

"The RCA 2A3 was born (develop-mental number A181C, introduced January 10, 1933). Unfortunately, by February 1936 RCA had replaced the single-plate with a structure having two smaller 45-like tri-odes wired in parallel. Their "W" filament arrangement was similar to the 45 and involved less labor and less cost. There are 2A3 lovers who claim that this was a step backward, and that the single-plate had superior distortion characteristics. During World War II, the 2A3 and its relative, the 6B4G, were the most common pass elements in regulated power supplies. This latter fact kept the production of such "primitive" triodes going well after 1945, since the U.S. military is notoriously slow to replace equipment which serves a purpose well. It is believed that Uncle Sam kept the 2A3 on its official military-procurement list until the 1980s". By Eric Barbour

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,630 of 3,214
Website says 3-4 weeks for the Elite edition. I'm hoping that's either accurate or overestimated :)
@littlej0e how long did you wait for yours?

I waited approx. three months, mostly due to part and material shortages. I placed the order in late March and received it in early June. Availability could have changed between now and then, so it's anyone's guess as to when you will receive it. Covid combined with increased demand turned audio component availability into an expensive and unpredictable crap shoot. Just keep pinging your dealer and he/she will ride Woo Audio for you (or keep pinging your sales rep at Woo if you bought direct). A couple of recommendations:
  1. Get the TAK tube for the biggest sound stage and sweetest sound or all KR tubes for kick-your-teeth-in bass impact.
  2. Aftermarket tubes will significantly lower the cost of upgrading and subsequently replacing tubes. Just be sure they are 100% compatible (no 300b tubes) and be careful who you buy them from. Companies offering warranties longer than 1 year seem to be highly unreliable. Refer to other posts and posters in this thread for more information.
  3. Your amp will get VERY HOT after 3+ hours of continuous use. Prepare your listening and rack spaces accordingly. I use mine as a makeshift hibachi when I'm too lazy to go upstairs to use my George Foreman grill (kidding).
Lastly, and most importantly...CONGRATS ON PICKING UP THE WA33 EE JPS!!! :beerchug:It will be worth the wait. Easily the best headphone amp I've ever heard! Really tremendous.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #1,631 of 3,214
I waited approx. three months, mostly due to part and material shortages. I placed the order in late March and received it in early June. Availability could have changed between now and then, so it's anyone's guess as to when you will receive it. Covid combined with increased demand turned audio component availability into an expensive and unpredictable crap shoot. Just keep pinging your dealer and he/she will ride Woo Audio for you (or keep pinging your sales rep at Woo if you bought direct). A couple of recommendations:
  1. Get the TAK tube for the biggest sound stage and sweetest sound or all KR tubes for kick-your-teeth-in bass impact.
  2. Aftermarket tubes will significantly lower the cost of upgrading and subsequently replacing tubes. Just be sure they are 100% compatible (no 300b tubes) and be careful who you buy them from. Companies offering warranties longer than 1 year seem to be highly unreliable. Refer to other posts and posters in this thread for more information.
  3. Your amp will get VERY HOT after 3+ hours of continuous use. Prepare your listening and rack spaces accordingly. I use mine as a makeshift hibachi when I'm too lazy to go upstairs to use my George Foreman grill (kidding).
Lastly, and most importantly...CONGRATS ON PICKING UP THE WA33 EE JPS!!! :beerchug:It will be worth the wait. Easily the best headphone amp I've ever heard! Really tremendous.
Thanks for the tips, @littlej0e!

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #1,632 of 3,214
Hey all, anyone here experience weird sound coming out of them WA33 while it’s on? It’s not very often, but I hear “ping………”, like a spring releasing sound somewhere in the amp. This is not coming through the headphone, just from the amp itself. Last for about 1 second and happens not very ocassionally, but maybe once or twice in a 3 hour listening session. :thinking:

Just to add doesn’t impact sound quality or anything at all to the music coming through the headphone.
Seems to be quirk of Woo amps, I had the exact same sound on the WA5 regardless of tubes especially at turn-on/off. I'd expect more from an expensive product considering none of my other TOTL amps Apex, Cavalli, DNA etc. had this behaviour. I'd say it's just large production tolerance and can't expect a solid chassis even at this price point unless going for more boutique options.

Aug 12, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #1,633 of 3,214
Website says 3-4 weeks for the Elite edition. I'm hoping that's either accurate or overestimated :)
Just heard from Woo Audio folks that they're estimating a 4-week wait. Not bad!

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #1,635 of 3,214

Not a 33, but my 3 did this all the time. In fact, I could hear it through the headphones because the driver tubes were microphonic enough to pick it up. I was confident it was thermal expansion in either the tubes or chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back