Woo's New Flagship WA33
May 29, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #631 of 3,213
Not right now, but that was intentional for the first week. I'll start comparing the two soon. What I can say is I'm impressed with the WA33 and the Mini at the same time. The WA33 is quite better, definitely.. but at the same time it's pretty amazing that the Mini does what it does for it's price point. Not sure I can find a reason to keep it though, but we'll see!

Very interested in your comparison of the WA33 and GS-X Mini. Using a Schiit Mjolnir 2 right now and comparing the Benchmark HPA4 which, while it does have more clarity and detail retrieval, is quite a bit more harsh and digital sounding. GS-X MK2 arrives this weekend, we'll see how it fares.

May 29, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #632 of 3,213
Very interested in your comparison of the WA33 and GS-X Mini. Using a Schiit Mjolnir 2 right now and comparing the Benchmark HPA4 which, while it does have more clarity and detail retrieval, is quite a bit more harsh and digital sounding. GS-X MK2 arrives this weekend, we'll see how it fares.

Will definitely keep you posted!

May 31, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #633 of 3,213
I just finished reading all 43 pages of this thread, that hsppens rarely.

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #636 of 3,213
And what's your conclusion?

That this seems to be the right endgame amp for me.
Works great for planars, brilliant soundstage and microdetail yet extremely powerful and textured Bass.
It seems to offer Detail retrieval and clarity of high end solid states and adds that seductive tubiness to the sound.

Some seem to have issues with buzzing, most of the time related to their tubes.

I already asked woo Support if there is a possibility to order in the EU due to the huge tax and custom fees that come with a product of that price. Someone in this thread mentioned that woo actually has retailers.

For now I gotta save big time, but I have a very clear dream about my endgame

Also JPS had a special Version priced in between Standard and elite.
Personally I will settle for Standard die to budget reasons

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #637 of 3,213

I've been very curious about the JPS version. I can't see myself springing for the Elite, but maybe could end up going for the JPS since it also has upgraded tubes.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #638 of 3,213
So I’m currently using Psvane Acme 2A3, Tak 274b and EH 6c45, the other output tube I’m using are EML mesh. The mesh tubes seem to be less loud I’ve been told the KR don’t give enough over the EML power tubes to spend extra K. Still down road I’d like to find out for myself if KR are worth spending more.
15839970-7EBA-4F7E-A7DB-F627A2A87A95.jpeg
93616CF4-946F-48A9-9B4E-78C37EB2CABF.jpeg

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #639 of 3,213
[QUOTE="ThanatosVI, post: 15649840, member: 489840

[/QUOTE]
Although I haven't heard any of the other models offered but the standard version (which I own) you definitely will not be "settling" in any way whatsoever by purchasing the 'standard version'.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #640 of 3,213
So I’m currently using Psvane Acme 2A3, Tak 274b and EH 6c45, the other output tube I’m using are EML mesh. The mesh tubes seem to be less loud I’ve been told the KR don’t give enough over the EML power tubes to spend extra K. Still down road I’d like to find out for myself if KR are worth spending more.

Very nice! How do you compare the Psvane Acme 2A3 to the EML 2A3 Mesh Plate other than the gain? How’s the overall dynamics, bass, midrange, treble, soundstage? Is it more or less “tubey” than the EML?

I know that you’re a man of few words but I would like to hear your first hand impressions. Thanks in advance.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #641 of 3,213
The Psvane is giving me wide soundstage and transparency, bass is really good treble is where I like it. As far as tube sound with a strong midrange I'm not picking that up but there is tube magic for both. I enjoy both sets.
Though with both sets of tubes I haven't hit the required burn in times. I'm going to give the Psvane a month and switch back to EML. It dosen't matter but I like the look of the bigger EML. The Psvane is cheaper.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #642 of 3,213
I definitely intended to compare the WA33 with the GSX Mini but I haven't fired the Mini up once since I've had it lol. The Woo just has a really complete & high end refined sound to it, and it absolutely transforms the TCs and more power hungry cans (the AKG K1000 sings on them and I've only truly enjoyed them on speaker amps before). That's even with the Mini having as much power as it does. I've also only fired up the Blue Hawaii a few times (somewhat intentional as well) and it and the 009/HE60 are still here to stay; the airiness, openness and midrange/vocal are still unmatched although they lose out in other areas (bass quantity and impact, and the HE60 is matched in a few others as well). I really do want to write a detailed impression but I've just been enjoying listening which is rare lol

Psvane WR2A3's will be here Monday, don't plan on doing a ton of tube rolling outside of that and the sophia, as the differences are always so subtle given the price (to me). And then it's likely I offload quite a few headphones and close out with the TT2/Mscaler combo.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #643 of 3,213
Psvane WR2A3's will be here Monday, don't plan on doing a ton of tube rolling outside of that and the sophia, as the differences are always so subtle given the price (to me).

The WR2A3 are a better match for me because they produce warmer and smoother sound.

You'd be surprised what the Takatsuki 274B can do to your amp. I had the Sophia for my WA22 once. After I heard the Takatsuki, the Sophia departed in a hurry, as it sounded dull and boring compared to Takatsuki.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #644 of 3,213
The WR2A3 are a better match for me because they produce warmer and smoother sound.

You'd be surprised what the Takatsuki 274B can do to your amp. I had the Sophia for my WA22 once. After I heard the Takatsuki, the Sophia departed in a hurry, as it sounded dull and boring compared to Takatsuki.
Did you ever try the KR Rectifier?

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #645 of 3,213

Yea I think I read your and maybe someone else's comments regarding this. One of the reasons I opted for them, wanted tubes a bit warmer than stock. And eventually I'll likely try the Takatsuki, especially if I can pick up used. But I'm really happy with the sound as is. With tubes it really is hard at least for me to justify the ROI, very few tubes rolled in the past have had very large differences. But again, I'll be open in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back