Woo's New Flagship WA33
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,186 of 3,211
i am using Hugo TT2 + M-Scaler, i had Dave before at some point but honestly Hugo TT2 is more on the fun side since all i listen too is J-pop so it suits me more.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #1,188 of 3,211
Tt2 is a bass machine

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,191 of 3,211
If your looking for something a little farther down the cost scale, the Schiit Yggdrasil is a nice choice. I have been very happy with it.

Feb 23, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #1,192 of 3,211
Finally got myself a WA33, should be here in the next two weeks or so. What is everybodys favorite DAC to pair with the WA33?

Congrats! Which variant did u get?
As for dacs, I've only tried the Dave and Rockna Wavelight to the wa33. Both are good, but I am biased to the Rockna..
@Adamtl's suggestions are on my wishlist, but decided to try for a much cheaper dac/streamer option in the Okto dac8 stereo (haven't received this yet).

Feb 23, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,193 of 3,211
As for dacs, I've only tried the Dave and Rockna Wavelight to the wa33. Both are good, but I am biased to the Rockna..
@Adamtl's suggestions are on my wishlist, but decided to try for a much cheaper dac/streamer option in the Okto dac8 stereo (haven't received this yet).
i would like to get DAVE again one day because its so smooth, kind of miss the ton of details/clarity on it but its been out for while, do you think DAVE 2 would happen one day?

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,194 of 3,211
I have been using a PS Audio Directstream DAC with my WA33 EE. A new Directstream is coming late in the year. I have a DCS Rossini on order. Currently waiting on more information about delivery.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,195 of 3,211
i would like to get DAVE again one day because its so smooth, kind of miss the ton of details/clarity on it but its been out for while, do you think DAVE 2 would happen one day?

I did a comparison between the Dave and Rockna and they sounded "almost" identical (keeping in mind differences in interconnects, cords, peripheral components eg innuos phoenix, mscaler, Singxer). So for me personally it made sense to stick with the Rockna. Not sure about a Dave 2, but in any case for the price range of Dave, I feel perhaps other dacs may offer more for the money.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #1,196 of 3,211
I got the Standard Edition in Silver. Going to try out the stock tubes first. I'm sure eventually ill want to upgrade tubes / to the Elite Edition / JPS Edition :D

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #1,197 of 3,211
Hello All,

I been a little silent for the past month or so as my new WA33 EE JPS has arrived
and it was a bit of a saga.

Mainly a hum in the right hand channel which I managed to find was voltage being out of specification although initially had been set to the correct voltage.

In the UK the voltage can vary 230V -6% +10% (i.e. 216.2 V – 253.0 V) but the WA33 can only be set to 220 230 or 240 with the range being plus 9 volts for each setting. After burn in the right hand channel is quite within range.

As my voltage drops or gains the hum would come back so I had no alternative to purchase a PS Audio P15 .... now dead quite although I was advised to get the P3 (a lot cheaper).

i ended up getting PS 12 here since my voltage isn't stable , 220 to 230v here.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #1,198 of 3,211
Short Version

The EE is more susceptible to voltage swing than my SE version (SE version dead quite without voltage treatment other versions may differ)
I had no choice but to purchase a PS P15 or similar.
I guess this is because the EE is wired differently.
THIS is why you have a switch on the back to switch back and forth depending on the incoming voltage which is for me a pain in the a**.
Now dead quite with the P15.

Anyone with hum check the incoming voltage !

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #1,199 of 3,211
Do you guys mostly use the XLR balanced input into the WA33 or via RCA's? Reason I ask is because I plan on using either the TT2 or DAVE as a DAC and Chord recommends using the RCA outputs. Wondering if anybody has experience in testing whether the WA33 sounds better on RCA inputs or XLR inputs.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #1,200 of 3,211
The WA33 is a true balanced amp. So while the RCA input may sound fine, it will have to be converted to balanced in the amp. I prefer to run completely balanced if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back