Woo's New Flagship WA33
Feb 22, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #541 of 3,213
No worries. You just gave me what you used that worked OK for you. No biggie. Low or high impedence sounds similar but the "correct number specs" say low impedence. I have OCD. Music sounds better to ME when my OCD is satisfied.

It is quite odd indeed, including the shape of Abyss. But that thing sounds pretty damn good.

Anyone here use Abyss with the HPA4? How would you compare the HPA4 to the Woo?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #542 of 3,213
No worries. You just gave me what you used that worked OK for you. No biggie. Low or high impedence sounds similar but the "correct number specs" say low impedence. I have OCD. Music sounds better to ME when my OCD is satisfied.

It is quite odd indeed, including the shape of Abyss. But that thing sounds pretty damn good.

Anyone here use Abyss with the HPA4? How would you compare the HPA4 to the Woo?

This may be new toy syndrome, but I got my Wa33 last night, and I use an Abyss, and it’s the best I have ever heard them sound.

I did the 30 trial of the HPA4 and returned it. I found it a bit dry sounding in front of my Dave/MScaler. Soundstage is much more in your head, textures aren’t as meaty, and tone isn’t as vivid as with the Wa33.

Plus the Woo looks like this:

FB9BEF73-6B0F-40AC-83B1-7FD85064A026.jpeg

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #543 of 3,213
Dig the set up, has that Opto DX device made a big difference audibly for you? I saw it at Can Jam and felt it was a very interesting item. I just hesitant to add to my chain as I have so many things already similar to yours.

Lumin Streamer > HMS > DAVE > WA33 > Abyss

^That to me is too many things already as I was always just a DAC/AMP/Headphone sort of guy and then I frequented these forums, sigh.

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #544 of 3,213
Dig the set up, has that Opto DX device made a big difference audibly for you? I saw it at Can Jam and felt it was a very interesting item. I just hesitant to add to my chain as I have so many things already similar to yours.

Lumin Streamer > HMS > DAVE > WA33 > Abyss

^That to me is too many things already as I was always just a DAC/AMP/Headphone sort of guy and then I frequented these forums, sigh.

Yes! I am incredibly sensitive to any glare. I got the Wave Stream cable which do an excellent job, are simpler, and will do all you need for most people. The Opto Dx made my setup 100% glare free - but I use the two in combination with an LPS 1.2 and a Ghent DC cable on the receiver side. As it removes some noise that causes intermodulation distortion, I can hear more micro detail and better imaging - especially those details that contribute to room ambiance.

Mar 2, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #545 of 3,213
Anyone try the KR rectifier compared to the Takatsuki Tube?

Mar 8, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #546 of 3,213
This may be new toy syndrome, but I got my Wa33 last night, and I use an Abyss, and it’s the best I have ever heard them sound.

I did the 30 trial of the HPA4 and returned it. I found it a bit dry sounding in front of my Dave/MScaler. Soundstage is much more in your head, textures aren’t as meaty, and tone isn’t as vivid as with the Wa33.

Plus the Woo looks like this:

FB9BEF73-6B0F-40AC-83B1-7FD85064A026.jpeg
Is that 5 inches per rack level or 8?Thanks!

Mar 9, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #547 of 3,213
Were you using the V281 to power them before? How does it compare to the WA33?

Great setup btw!!

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #548 of 3,213
Were you using the V281 to power them before? How does it compare to the WA33?

Great setup btw!!

Thank you! I used an XI Audio Formula S and Powerman which is now for sale. I never loved the Abyss with the v281 for some reason (it's ok), but I love the LCD4 with it - and some other headphones.

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #549 of 3,213
Thank you! I used an XI Audio Formula S and Powerman which is now for sale. I never loved the Abyss with the v281 for some reason (it's ok), but I love the LCD4 with it - and some other headphones.
The WA33 beats the Formula S for pairing with the Abyss??

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #550 of 3,213
The WA33 beats the Formula S for pairing with the Abyss??

I prefer it with my system- but it's preference. The Formula S is the best solid state I've heard with the Abyss. If you prefer a solid state sound, you may prefer the Formula S. Also, I have Dave + Mscaler and it synergizes better with the Wa33 than the Formula S, because it can be slightly bright / lean. Depending on your DAC the Formula S may work better. As always, YMMV

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #553 of 3,213
Justin after speaking to you months ago, I actually got a really similar set up to you.

Did you order the WA33 Elite JPS Edition via Abyss or Woo Audio?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #554 of 3,213
Justin after speaking to you months ago, I actually got a really similar set up to you.

Did you order the WA33 Elite JPS Edition via Abyss or Woo Audio?

I ordered direct from Woo. I don't think you can get the JPS Elite from Abyss. I'd rather get it direct from the source anyway to cut out the middleman. If I'm just ordering something online (with no in-person demo), I don't see much point going through a dealer.

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #555 of 3,213
I ordered direct from Woo. I don't think you can get the JPS Elite from Abyss. I'd rather get it direct from the source anyway to cut out the middleman. If I'm just ordering something online (with no in-person demo), I don't see much point going through a dealer.

Thank you for the support. We look forward to your pictures and listening impression. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back