Woo's new Electrostatic amp
Jul 19, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #91 of 134
point taken skin.....

cheers,

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #92 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its simply a dissapointment in the market Woo apparently went after. I just dont think there was or is a need for more ultra niche $5000+ electrostat amps.

The price is disappointing for sure, but I'm hoping something in between the GES and WES will come to be. Something like the WES circuit in one plain chassis minus glass shields, nice knobs, etc. I would personally like an option to buy it without tubes included for an appropriate discount, and at this point, the price should be between GES and WES.

Honestly, I don't see how Woo can sell too many of these WES at these prices, especially with many people with the means and appropriate 'stats already owning big amps or having one on order. Woo seems very capable of bringing a new amp to market quickly, proven by their large stable already, so that's my story and I'm sticking by it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #94 of 134
there are very few stat amps on the market. and there will always be people purchasing O2s who will then look for a better amp to pair them with.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #95 of 134
Yeah, I'm not sure where the perception is coming from that there is a glut of high end. high priced stat amps on the market. If Woo can churn these out with sufficient quantity and minimal wait time, then I think they've got a winner.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #96 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well not to belittle your opinion but that doesn't mean much. If i said i like the KGSS better than the BHSE does that mean the KGSS should be 5k? Its simply a dissapointment in the market Woo apparently went after. I just dont think there was or is a need for more ultra niche $5000+ electrostat amps. It surprised me a bit as well since the stock GES is priced at just [lol] 1.4k so i didnt imagine their second attempt would tack on an additional $3500. I wonder how much of that is being spent on the chassis.

Yes the WES is expensive, but I think that most GES go out the door closer to $2400. Mine would be over $3000 with the addition of my wire upgrade. How many people have actually gone for the base GES? Not many that I know of. The WES is loaded as it comes, no real upgrades to speak of, and it's two chassis with great build quality. It's probably true that they could have built one to sell for $3500 - $4000 but then it wouldn't have been a Statement product. Plus it complicates matters when there's a menu of upgrades.

I do agree that what the market needs more is an affordable SS Electrostatic amp for maybe $1000. Something as an alternative to the Stax SRM310 and for people who like to buy new.

I still look forward to trying the WES with my Jades, although in this economy my GES is probably going to remain my electrostatic amp for several years. It's nice to dream though.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #97 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price is disappointing for sure, but I'm hoping something in between the GES and WES will come to be. Something like the WES circuit in one plain chassis minus glass shields, nice knobs, etc. I would personally like an option to buy it without tubes included for an appropriate discount, and at this point, the price should be between GES and WES.

Honestly, I don't see how Woo can sell too many of these WES at these prices, especially with many people with the means and appropriate 'stats already owning big amps or having one on order. Woo seems very capable of bringing a new amp to market quickly, proven by their large stable already, so that's my story and I'm sticking by it
smily_headphones1.gif

I am quite sure that the first one to produce an amp for 2500 or less, with similar performance ability of a BHSE, will find a ready market. A nice chassis is a bonus but should not be jacking up prices as much as it seem to be doing here.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #98 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite sure that the first one to produce an amp for 2500 or less, with similar performance ability of a BHSE, will find a ready market. A nice chassis is a bonus but should not be jacking up prices as much as it seem to be doing here.

We have the GES and KGSS already... The only way to get something like a BHSE for cheap is to build a BH. You knew all this. I don't know what y'all are complaining about. There aren't that many good stat amp choices at ANY price point compared to dynamics, so what's wrong with having another $5k amp for different flavor?

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #99 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have the GES and KGSS already... The only way to get something like a BHSE for cheap is to build a BH. You knew all this. I don't know what y'all are complaining about. There aren't that many good stat amp choices at ANY price point compared to dynamics, so what's wrong with having another $5k amp for different flavor?

A lot more people have a harder time swallowing the 5k pill comparitive to the 2-3k one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #101 of 134
Quote:

Woo already makes a $2-3k one. It's called a maxed GES.

Everything about the maxed GES (have one) is fantastic, except the need for more power with the Stax O2.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #102 of 134
Quote:

Not all of us are diyers. BTW, don't we also have the Ray Samuels amp coming at a similar price? Is there that much demand at this price level? I believe that we as the consumers should speak up to influence the market but if we act like sheep then we should happily accept the trend to higher prices.

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #103 of 134
BTW, whatever happened to 'stat amps from HE Audio and possibly heavy-duty 'stat transformer as well?

In fact, 'stat amps is the one area where the East seems to be dragging its feet on...

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #104 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not all of us are diyers. BTW, don't we also have the Ray Samuels amp coming at a similar price? Is there that much demand at this price level? I believe that we as the consumers should speak up to influence the market but if we act like sheep then we should happily accept the trend to higher prices.

I would love for Justin or Ray(or anyone) to correct me on this in regards to their business, but from a business standpoint(in general) specialized products that sell fewer in quantity will be more expensive in price.

The target market for high-end amps in general is smaller than that of budget and value amps. In addition, the customer base for electrostatic amps is smaller than that of dynamics. Even if the amp were $1000, it would likely sell fewer units than a $1000 dynamic counterpart.

This likely means that they are not buying parts in bulk for these units, which means parts are more expensive. This also means that their gross margin has to be higher in order to be profitable. Their gross margin can be much lower for cheaper amps because they sell more of them and cost to build should be lower.

I don't think that demand is so high that the masses are going to rush out and buy 5k amps. But what I do believe, is that at any lower cost, some of these specialty amps may not be worth it(profitable enough) for any of the builders to make.

But if all Justin and Ray made were pico's and predators, most people would be unhappy. There are cheaper options out there, we don't all have to have the latest and greatest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #105 of 134
Quote:

Woo already makes a $2-3k one. It's called a maxed GES.

yep and its nice for sure but i was both interested in rolling tubes and wanted something that would swing significantly more voltage than any version of the GES can. Im just not going to shell out 5k for it. At least not yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back