Woo's new Electrostatic amp
Aug 6, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #121 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would anybody spend so much on caps? I don't want to rant about it since they will make a difference but 1600$ worth, I don't think so. Woo should rather have offered some real improvements with a better PSU design, better bias supplies, better volume controls etc.

I had that same thought process. Then I remembered that I'm the type of consumer whore who would feel like his setup was incomplete without the upgrade, and figured now is better than later, to avoid paying nearly $200 in another set of round-trip shipping costs.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #122 of 134
...... or you could just buy a DC coupled amp that doesn't need cap upgrades?

*cough*BHSE*cough*
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #123 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...... or you could just buy a DC coupled amp that doesn't need cap upgrades?

*cough*BHSE*cough*
wink.gif

and wait a year to get one?
wink.gif

besides, my fiance knows how much a Blue Hawaii costs!

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #124 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else pre-ordered one of these?

I just couldn't stop myself from getting the V-Cap upgrade... ramen noodles, here I come!!!

congrats! you may be one of the first. a very nice amp.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #125 of 134
Quote:

I had that same thought process. Then I remembered that I'm the type of consumer whore who would feel like his setup was incomplete without the upgrade, and figured now is better than later, to avoid paying nearly $200 in another set of round-trip shipping costs.

I was like that... now I just wonder how much voltage swing I can eek out of a given design...
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #126 of 134
Quote:

Has anyone else pre-ordered one of these?

I just couldn't stop myself from getting the V-Cap upgrade... ramen noodles, here I come!!!

Congratulations. I, too, probably would go "all in" and get the upgrades. If I didn't, I know I'd regret it later.

Glad to hear your sacrifice consists of eating ramen noodles. Given my wife's likely reaction, I'm afraid it would be "living room sofa, here I come," if a WES showed up on my doorstep. Come to think of it, the living room sofa is not that uncomfortable.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #127 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations. I, too, probably would go "all in" and get the upgrades. If I didn't, I know I'd regret it later.

Glad to hear your sacrifice consists of eating ramen noodles. Given my wife's likely reaction, I'm afraid it would be "living room sofa, here I come," if a WES showed up on my doorstep. Come to think of it, the living room sofa is not that uncomfortable.

VCap teflons are great caps, but I do hope those who are plunking down the large $$$$ for these caps have tried them in the past and liked them enough before committing blind. There is no real "all in" when it comes to cap sound characteristics and personal tastes IMO.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #128 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite sure that the first one to produce an amp for 2500 or less, with similar performance ability of a BHSE, will find a ready market. A nice chassis is a bonus but should not be jacking up prices as much as it seem to be doing here.

I like your avatar. Looks like it came from the movie "Rockers" One of my favs
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #129 of 134
I'm such a consumer whore
frown.gif
I just had to get these tubes ahead, so theyd be ready upon the arrival of my WES...

1002878e.jpg

1002886r.jpg

aside:

preliminarily, these 6SL7's are on par with the Mullard brown-base ECC35's - i'll post a separate comparison review sometime in the future, after I get a bit more time with these beauties

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #130 of 134
Nice... will the 274's fit in the WES? would you have to remove the glass?

hmmmmm

set looks pretty though...

Cheers,

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #132 of 134
K. Im going nutz in about how many tubes the WES actually uses:

Quote:

Originally Posted by from Wooaudio's site
Four EL34 power tubes
Four 6SL7 [PDF] drive tubes
Two 5AR4 [PDF] rectifier tube. Direct substitute: 5U4GB
One 12AU7 [PDF] phase splittor - unbalanced input to

I can see all the tubes listed above in the pictures EXCEPT the 12au7 phase splitter. Am I blind? Is it mounted inside the case? Someone please point out what is sure to be an obvious answer. I keep counting and counting. My only hope is that someone else has the same question but has been too embarassed to ask.

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #133 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K. Im going nutz in about how many tubes the WES actually uses:

I can see all the tubes listed above in the pictures EXCEPT the 12au7 phase splitter. Am I blind? Is it mounted inside the case? Someone please point out what is sure to be an obvious answer. I keep counting and counting. My only hope is that someone else has the same question but has been too embarassed to ask.

Heh! Yeah, same thing here a few weeks ago when I looked at it. I asked for PIX of the inside of the PSU but they didn't have any? They referenced some pix of the Output chassis posted here at head-fi. There must be a tube insie the PSU box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back