Woo's new Electrostatic amp
Jul 14, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #76 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To convert P-P values over to RMS, multiply the amount with 0.707 and to get P-P from RMS, multiply 1.41.

That works (sort of), but why not just divide the RMS by the same 0.707 ?

Not that there is any reason for any of these figures to be exact, I'm just saying.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #77 of 134
Because he likes multiplying better than dividing.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #79 of 134
Go to sleep, get a good nights sleep.

Did you have 1.41 memorized? I always found it easier to just remember the .707 To be absolutely honest I had long ago forgot .707 and countless other formulas. It's true that if you don't use it, you loose it.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #80 of 134
Sleep will come once I'm done tinkering with this PCB.
smily_headphones1.gif
As for the 1.41, its easy to remember the square root of 2 since I'm often calculating AC after rectification to see if my 500V caps will stay on the non-exploding side of the fence.
icon10.gif
Call me crazy but I like them better that way...

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #81 of 134
FWIW, and IMO, the new Woo is beautiful. And the BHSE is quite possibly the most beautiful piece of audio equipment that I've ever seen.

Does anyone know how Justin came up with its physical appearance? Was it his own idea?

I was happy to complain about how the HD800 looks, again IMO, so I want to give credit where credit is due re: IMO great design.

Also, my mother-in-law is going to Iceland in a week for a two week vacation. Spritzer, may she stay with you? I guarantee that she would either: 1) put you to sleep; 2) give you insomnia; or else 3) kill you,

depending upon your personal personality profile and your strengths and weaknesses.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #82 of 134
Great time for electrostatic lovers.
o2smile.gif

The Woo WES certainly looks nice, although not quite up there with the HeadAmp KGBH SE imo. Sound wise I guess we will have to see...

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #84 of 134
the wes looks nice.

it will be at the nj meet on july 25th, as woo audio plans to attend. barring work, i plan to go as well. so i hope to hear it soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #86 of 134
well im a bit dissapointed. i was hoping it would be priced a bit more competitively giving people an option between the GES and BHSE, alas there really isnt a difference. As nice as the Woo is i'd just get a BHSE for that kinda money. The design is proven and, dare i say, better, so theres absolutely nothing to loose. But wow, all Electrostats need are more 5k amps. Sure isnt going to help their exposure comparative to dynamics.

We'll have to see how Eddie Currents effort fairs.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #88 of 134
I am not sure. I had a little different perspective.

After listening to the WES (proto) and the BHSE back to back, I liked the WES more than the BHSE. So to me it was more like.. same price, and an amp I liked better... not a bad deal.

Cheers,

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #90 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure. I had a little different perspective.

After listening to the WES (proto) and the BHSE back to back, I liked the WES more than the BHSE. So to me it was more like.. same price, and an amp I liked better... not a bad deal.

Cheers,

well not to belittle your opinion but that doesnt mean much. If i said i like the KGSS better than the BHSE does that mean the KGSS should be 5k? Its simply a dissapointment in the market Woo apparently went after. I just dont think there was or is a need for more ultra niche $5000+ electrostat amps. It surprised me a bit as well since the stock GES is priced at just [lol] 1.4k so i didnt imagine their second attempt would tack on an additional $3500. I wonder how much of that is being spent on the chassis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the woo is priced right. slightly less than BHSE and most likely no indefinite wait to get one.

true $500 isnt chump change [or is it for someone looking to spend thousands on a dedicated ES headphone amp?] but lets not forget that this is the pre-order price. The street price will eventually be only $10 less than the BHSE and both of these prices, either pre-order or street, will be BEFORE "upgrades" whatever those may be, but im sure people will want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back