Woohoo! HIV doesn't stand a chance now!
Oct 22, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #16 of 36
Strange factoid: 1% of Caucasians cannot get HIV, because they lack the protein that HIV uses to get into the t-cells.

However, I have no idea if they can still carry the virus.

Source? A New York Times article from around last...February?

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #19 of 36
Now that HIV has had time to spread to a sizeable chunk of humandom, and has lowered their resistance to disease in general, now along comes XRTB. XRTB is a remarkably fast killer for TB, and is 100% fatal, judging from the reports I've read. It is even now getting out of control in southern Africa, though you may not have heard it on the evening news.
frown.gif

Laz

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We can't even get current treatments distributed world-wide. I'd say this is all extremely optimistic for real world-wide applications.

The only real world application I care about is me, if somebody in some other place can't get it I'll try not to lose any sleep.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there no way to bypass the baby steps portion and jump directly into testing with human subjects? Say if I had contracted HIV, and went to one of these pharmaceutical companies willing to be a human guinea pig?

You'd probaby have to relocate to a country with a more lax testing laws. But if you have a life threatening disease I think that'd be an easy choice to make.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only real world application I care about is me, if somebody in some other place can't get it I'll try not to lose any sleep.

that's the beautiful power of HIV..cause HIV will always make its way back to you or people in your life as long as its being spread. so even if there was a Cure all in one location HIV would find its way back into the location.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #23 of 36
IMO the "cure" for aids has been around for a LONG time. I mean, people like Magic Johnson have been around for nearly 20 years with HIV/Aids. You don't hear much of anybody living much past 10 years with HIV, unless they're rich or famous.

I think conspiracies are a big hoohah in todays society and conspiracy theories are peoples way of being paranoid. Most all conspiracies I belive are junk. But I think this conspiracy of a cure for hiv/aids has been around for quite some time, and is just now being released to the public. I mean, imagine having no fear of any std killing you. You take away aids, adn the std rate probably will shoot through the roof.

Ask any person why they or thier partner wear a condom, and usually the reason is "so they don't get HIV/Aids". Sure, you can live with herpes, and it's probably embarassing as hell...but NOBODY wants aids.

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd probaby have to relocate to a country with a more lax testing laws. But if you have a life threatening disease I think that'd be an easy choice to make.

so why are these laws in place? Surely there must be people faced with death, who say "i don't care if the drug has been thoroughly tested or not, i am willing to take the chances" right? Why are there no clauses to allow willing human subjects to undergo experimental treatment? and why aren't people rallying for this?

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the "cure" for aids has been around for a LONG time. I mean, people like Magic Johnson have been around for nearly 20 years with HIV/Aids. You don't hear much of anybody living much past 10 years with HIV, unless they're rich or famous.

I think conspiracies are a big hoohah in todays society and conspiracy theories are peoples way of being paranoid. Most all conspiracies I belive are junk. But I think this conspiracy of a cure for hiv/aids has been around for quite some time, and is just now being released to the public. I mean, imagine having no fear of any std killing you. You take away aids, adn the std rate probably will shoot through the roof.

Ask any person why they or thier partner wear a condom, and usually the reason is "so they don't get HIV/Aids". Sure, you can live with herpes, and it's probably embarassing as hell...but NOBODY wants aids.

not a cure per se but definately good treatment where you will more likely to die of something else like a stroke. However, its cost pure and simple. We can keep rich americans with good health coverage alive but we cant put up Billions to treat the millions of people in africa.

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #26 of 36
That would be awesome if it were true. Occasionally I see a guy shopping late at night in my local grocery store. He has Caposi's Sarcoma, which has really disfigured the flesh on his face, and probably everywhere else. He has to avoid the public overall, because of the embarassment and fear that the condition creates. I can't imagine his suffering.

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so why are these laws in place? Surely there must be people faced with death, who say "i don't care if the drug has been thoroughly tested or not, i am willing to take the chances" right? Why are there no clauses to allow willing human subjects to undergo experimental treatment? and why aren't people rallying for this?

It not that simple. It not like they have a whole bunch of drugs that are out there waiting for human testing. Drugs go through several test before testing on people. Many drugs don't even make it far enough for human testing. Remember that the "side effects" can be worse than disease. For example, the drug can be toxic to your kidneys, which will lead to kidney failure... a condition that requires a lot of treatment and eventually leads to death. From the literature I've read, there's nothing really new recently. We are still scratching the surface on AIDS research.

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange factoid: 1% of Caucasians cannot get HIV, because they lack the protein that HIV uses to get into the t-cells.

However, I have no idea if they can still carry the virus.

Source? A New York Times article from around last...February?

When the HIV virus binds to a T-cell a process is initiated where it enters the T-cell. Some people were found to have a genetic defect, wherein they only have one of the two docking receptors needed for the HIV virus to successfully bind to their T-cells. I'm not sure if your research is something different or an invalid description of the same discovery.

BTW that genetic defect has been shown to have no adverse effects, so this would be a case when it's good to be defective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would still take as many precautions as possible before beginning something that could end in a treatable hiv infection

Sadly in some twisted way it's becoming hip to knowingly put yourself at risk in some sub cultures of our society.
I still can't wrap my brain around this idea, but I'm absolutely appalled at the lack of respect for themselves or others.

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly in some twisted way it's becoming hip to knowingly put yourself at risk in some sub cultures of our society.
I still can't wrap my brain around this idea, but I'm absolutely appalled at the lack of respect for themselves or others.

Maybe shigzeo is a doctor that might possibly work with possibly infected patients? Not everybody who protects themselves from "possible infection" is a tattooed suspension-junky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back