Woofer Company to Select
Jun 8, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #16 of 21
I've been impressed by nearly every speaker I've heard that uses Scan-Speak mids/woofs -- including higher-end Vienna Acoustic, Sonus Faber, and Wilson Audio. Quite nice -- though these speakers don't all sound the same. OTOH, I haven't really heard Focal woofers other than the car stuff, which is okay, but overpriced, I think. Not super impressed with the Focal inverted dome tweeter, either (Wilson -- again). I think its a little peakey, and prefer (as far as metal domes go) the sound of the better B&W Nautilus tweeters.

I like Dyn stuff too, but it is starting to get hard to find -- I think that the car stuff might be made slightly differently? I know the tweeters definitely are.

Jun 8, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #17 of 21
Audax woofers are awesome.

They have the sweetest midrange.
Gives tight and fast bass too.

Jun 9, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 21
SuperGiraffe: "Not super impressed with the Focal inverted dome tweeter, either (Wilson -- again)." Well, I like it, because it's a good compensation for the crampiness of my place.
wink.gif
Anyway, the newest incarnation using beryllium instead of titanium is said to be the fastest ever and significantly smoother. I haven't heard it yet, though...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 9, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #19 of 21
I was really happy with Morel drivers when I rebuilt my Frieds five years ago, but a lot depends on your other drivers and at least balancing the efficiencies.

Go over to www.PartsExpress.com and check out their DIY speaker stuff; better yet, get their print catalog and go over it.

Jun 9, 2003 at 4:49 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Yeah, I picked up AudioXpress at the Barnes & Noble that I saw the girl with the D-EJ01, and I got found a lot of drivers from Partsexpress (great selection), and I was wondering if anybody had any woofer preferences, since I dont' really care much about tweeters, I'm going to get a textile dome, that's all I know
biggrin.gif

here you can find some projects:

Nebula

Topaz

Lemniscus

There are more, but those above seems to be the "killers" there....

Project showcase

Jun 9, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
I think Dynavox is Dynaudio:
295-600m.jpg

look at the dustcap, looks just like a dynaudio one! Here

IIRC some of the speaker "gurus" believe that they are dynaudio clones, but according to the specs, IIRC, I have to find out in my books, the dynaudio is a bit superior, but is a good choice if you do not have the big bucks for the dynaudio, MCM electronics sell another clone also, made in China IIRC, very similar and even a lot cheaper with very good specs also....but if you have some money for the project get the Esotecs woofers from Dynaudio and tweeters and make a clone of the Dynaudio monitors, a lot cheaper...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back