Woofer Company to Select
Jun 7, 2003 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

D-EJ915

He...or is it she...is a......Headphoneus Supremus
I don't feel like buying some speakers, so I'm going to make my own
biggrin.gif
, but I am having trouble figuring out what company to get...please help

Jun 7, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 21
What are you planning to do with them, a two ways monitor, a three ways one, etc....VIfa is one of my favorites, along with Scan Peak (more expensive), but IMO Dynavox is one of the best bang for the buck of the bunch there.....

Jun 7, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 21
I think driver selection depends on what crossover design you have in mind as well as sonic property you are after.
For instance, Morel MW 265s are excellent drivers out of what they offer. ( they are like poorman's dynaudio drivers )

the companies you've listed are all good but, even within the lines, everyone has good and not so good ones.

ATC drivers are good, too. However, they are costly.

Jun 7, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 21
I'm probably going to make 2 way bookshelf speakers (2-3+ drivers), so they'd be about...20" to 30" tall max (sitting on desk, so they have to be at listening level)

I don't really know how large or driver number stuff yet, I was really just wondering if anybody had any opinions

-thanks!

Jun 7, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 21
Jun 7, 2003 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 21
Jun 7, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 21
Yeah, I picked up AudioXpress at the Barnes & Noble that I saw the girl with the D-EJ01, and I got found a lot of drivers from Partsexpress (great selection), and I was wondering if anybody had any woofer preferences, since I dont' really care much about tweeters, I'm going to get a textile dome, that's all I know
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 21
D-EJ915: scanspeak makes some of the best tweeters you can buy. Focal 's are my favorite midrange and midbass drivers. Have you thought about Dynaudio woofers? If you PM me your address I'll send you a catalog I have on CD-ROM if you want it. It's got some good stuff at good prices.

Jun 7, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
D-EJ915: scanspeak makes some of the best tweeters you can buy. Focal 's are my favorite midrange and midbass drivers. Have you thought about Dynaudio woofers? If you PM me your address I'll send you a catalog I have on CD-ROM if you want it. It's got some good stuff at good prices.

I thought dyna stopped selling their drivers to DIY market?

Jun 7, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 21
I guess my catalog is older. Thats to bad they make good woofers. Some places are still advertising them. See my post below.

Jun 7, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 21
Jun 8, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #15 of 21
I'm missing Seas (& Excel), Vifa, Eton, Kef and Visaton in the list...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back