Woodies- some PICS of my "portable" setup
Apr 30, 2005 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
Got boared. Decided to try to capture the beauty of these woodies. Thanks Larry!

anyone else got pics of their woodyized cans or amps or...?

Id love to see! I cant get enough of this stuff.
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 14
Hmmm... how do the woody HD600's sound? I don't see what you'd get by closing the back with wood(hard for me to imagine). If I had HD600/650's (or even SA series Sony cans), I'd like to have Headphile make a wooden based frame for them, with enhanced grille work.

In any case, great pics!
icon10.gif
Abe

Apr 30, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 14
Changing the open design of the HD 600 to a closed design should have changed the sound a lot.

What kiond of changes do you hear?

Apr 30, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 14
allright. Sorry I have not responded. Yes, they sound completely different. It transformed my Sennheisers. I am not the best at describing the things that I hear, but I will give it a try. I will try to describe what I remember noticing when i first got them, before I got the amp. Keep in mind, that these headphones were also recabled, and the observations are just my opinions...

The first thing I noticed was that everything seemed "lifted up", like the sound was stretched up and over my head. The stock Sennheisers sometimes feel to me like the sound is coming mostly from below, that they are trapped down underneath a barrier. I think this is the "dark" sort of sound people always comment on. The higher frequencies seemed more trasparent, and clearer. Everything was more seperated and the field in which the sounds resided in was much deeper and had a kind of a round feel to it, curving out and around me. It is almost like the wood creates a little world for the sound to live in. but this world sounds a lot bigger than the small wood cups. I keep hearing things like voices in the background of the music and freak out, but there is noone there, i put the headphones back on and hear them again. I dont know if they are haunted, or if im hearing things in the background of the recordings or what...

I didnt really notice an increase in bass. But what i did notice was that it wasnt as dry and chalky sounding as the stock. It seemed more liquid, and seemed that it wasnt constrained in its ability to portray the unique virtues of the bass notes. I first listened to "Natural Mystic" by Bob Marley. If you are farmiliar with this song, you know how the bass comes in slowly, until it is just grooving, and then there are these really loud bass drum hits every once in a while. For the first time, I noticed that these hits didnt just sound like the bassist had slaped his strings really hard, but sounded like a percussive instrument, and I could hear the material of the drum stick used and hear the drum, and the sound reverberate out of the drum. And the rhythm guitar, and cymbal work, was just swirling all around me. one would come in from behind my left side, and swing around towards the right, one would attack from the top right, and keep attacking, and then the bass drum, and then bob's voice right dead center in front of me. Wow.

I have no ability to decern which changes were caused by the cable and which were caused by the wood. As far as I know, it might all be the cable. But I am not about to mess around with these babies. Paired with my SR-71, when listening to music it is so clear and transparent, I feel like in the matrix, when he can see the code for evverything around him. I feel like I can see the sounds and instruments here, there, and over there and wrap my hands around them and bring them closer and smell them. I feel like I can almost pause the music and fly around through the stage and examine each and every instrument and who is playing it and how they are playing it and then push play again, and let that specific sound reverberate through me and just really feel THAT specific sound or instrument. Its quite an amazing experience.

The only thing I would say gets on my nerves sometimes is the size of the headphones. When lying down they kind of get weighed down off my head. And they arent quite portable anymore. but its worth it when compared to what I get out of these cans.
600smile.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 14
Sounds pretty darn good to me. It also dosent sound like all that change could come from a cable job. If so I wonder how my SR-60's would sound re cabled
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro
Sounds pretty darn good to me. It also dosent sound like all that change could come from a cable job. If so I wonder how my SR-60's would sound re cabled
smily_headphones1.gif

...Or woodied, oversized closed dome style
rs1smile.gif

icon10.gif
Abe

May 3, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trea
Here are a couple of pics of my MS-1's.
MS1's
MS-1's

Nice! Curious as to how they sound as well.

IMO, the
rs1smile.gif
can also serve for all woodied cans,
Abe

May 3, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

You know, 'cause they are now wooden like the RS1's!

May 3, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 14
I don't have an unmodded pair to compare them to, but they sound really nice compared to my SR-80 and my SR-225. Better bass, better soundstage than both. The highs are much less harsh than the sr-80, but about the same as the sr-225, to my ears anyway. I've been very happy with these cans once they were burned in. Larry recommended around 100 hours, but i found that it took longer for them to really open up, closer to 200 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back