Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
May 1, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #1,051 of 1,087
MY ESW9 ARE ON MY WAY!!!!

I am really excited about it. They will arive on Monday or Tuesday maybe
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #1,052 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bugger X 3. My ESW9s just broke, one earcup snapped off. They can be super-glued, even so
angry_face.gif

edit - If I got ES7s[not price, just easier to get in the UK], would they be a little inferior to the 9s or a lot[i.e.not being wood].

ES7 feels so cheap compares to ESW9, and it serves a different sound signiture, less sound stage, more like grado~just fun to listen~(its a really good headphone in terms of SQ for its price)

Cosmetically,
Band: Es7 feels rubbery, and picks up dirts. ESW9 feels leather and soft..
Cup: ES7 has a mirror look steel case, but super vulnerable to scratch, finger prints, etc.. ESW9, wood finish, looks luxary...but from far, it just look like a red or orange headphone coz no one will assume its wood...
Comfort, ESW9 is way way way better than ES7... ES7 is just weird, you have to do a mod to make it fit...
build quality, es7 simply doesn't feel high classed, you pay for what you get... ESW9 is certainly one of the most luxary headphone at its price range~

Appearantly ESW10 is better overall, I was tempted but I didn't purchase it because its too luxary and expensive for portable use... and lil smaller compares to other full cans for home use... it will just pick up dusts if I purchase it..

May 4, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #1,053 of 1,087
Sorry to bring up this thread again, but mine are on the way! Just ordered on Audiocubes with the case.

This'll be my first pair of audiophile headphones. I'm fed up with my cheapo IEMs and the DT770s (which I use for the professional radio studio) are too bulky to be portable.

I was toying up the ES7s, but thought the design/coolness I loved about them didnt win me over when I saw the wooden cupped ESW9s. Will try and post a review on here when I've burnt them in.

May 12, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #1,054 of 1,087
Hi

I got my esw9 for about a week now. These headphones are very nice
smily_headphones1.gif
. But I think I am doing something wrong, because most people say that these headphones are bassy, some say overwhelming the mids, some say they do not.

However, comparing them to my IE8 they lack bass. So maybe my ears are broken or I am doing something wrong.

What do you think? Is it maybe the other wood, because mine are african paddock, the first ones I think were hokkeido cherry tree.

May 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #1,055 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I got my esw9 for about a week now. These headphones are very nice
smily_headphones1.gif
. But I think I am doing something wrong, because most people say that these headphones are bassy, some say overwhelming the mids, some say they do not.

However, comparing them to my IE8 they lack bass. So maybe my ears are broken or I am doing something wrong.

What do you think? Is it maybe the other wood, because mine are african paddock, the first ones I think were hokkeido cherry tree.

I find the IE8s quite bassy as far as headphones go, so I'm not surprised you hear more bass/mid-bass with them than the ESW9s (I do too). That said, I don't find the ESW9s bass-thin; they're still warm-sounding headphones, just without the hyped rumble and slam of the IE8s.

In your post, you mentioned how much people's impressions can vary with the ESW9s (which I'd say applies to most any headphone). I don't think your ears are broken, you just hear them your own way, with your own subjective sense of what sounds "best." If you were hoping for something bassier than what you got, you might look into (if possible) using an EQ, changing sources, and/or adding a bassy amp, but -- and I think this is of critical consideration -- the ESW9s may simply not be to your taste. No single set of cans works for everyone.

I'm not sure about the sonic properties of the different woods used, though, since that's beyond my realm of understanding.

May 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #1,056 of 1,087
Good, I was just thinking about it. This "broken - ear" thing is about: A month ago I was on a rock concert and it was sooo loud. Then I started hearing a ringing tone. I went to the doc, and got some pills.

I was happy that it stopped, but it took 2 weeks. Since that i am kind of paranoid and just test my ears where ever I can. The doc said the nonpermanent damage was at 6khz...

However, I like the ESW9 really. IMO there are music genres where the ESW9 fits better then the IE8, mostly with classical, and the rock i listen. RnB and soul is dominated by the IE8.

About that sonic wood thing: There is really something about it. In some rock songs, i am not sure, I hear a really really quiet resonance from the wood.

May 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #1,057 of 1,087
I just received my ESW9s this morning. Had to wait all day to test them out as I thought I better not take them into work being £200+ worth!

First impressions... well well! This is my first experience with a set of audiophile headphones. It'll be the test of time on whether I will warm 100% to this set. My only comparison can be against the fully closed Beyer Dynamic DT770s. Extremely bassy they are! I love bass and really I only use the Beyers for my radio broadcasting primarily. Sometimes for a general listen at home, but find them quite tiring with long-use. That's why a 3 hour radio show is perfect with them.

I'm listening with the ESW9s at this very second and right out the box they are something else. I know the DT770s dominate with bass and can spoil the mids at somewhat if you want to listen to electronica or music that has a softer touch. It's somewhat got a bass that's reserved. Whether this'll change with burn-in, I don't know. Sounds from artists such as Passion Pit (electronic pop) and Deadmau5 are appearing out of the ESW9s. Rock music seems to be a bit ropey at the moment (however it isn't my first choice of genre).

I'll do a full review later this week or at the weekend. First impressions are very good and glad I didn't get the ES7s with an amp. It seems these headphones are dead easy to power without an extra amp.

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #1,061 of 1,087
Ha... well until that day I have only ever used them when there is no rain. If there was a hint of drizzle I preferred to keep it in my bag at most or not bring it rather than risk it... but well that storm developed quickly
tongue.gif
So yeah, my compliments to AT, though I do not plan to make a habit of it

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #1,062 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha... well until that day I have only ever used them when there is no rain. If there was a hint of drizzle I preferred to keep it in my bag at most or not bring it rather than risk it... but well that storm developed quickly
tongue.gif
So yeah, my compliments to AT, though I do not plan to make a habit of it

They're also susceptible to sunburn; delicate creatures that they are.

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #1,063 of 1,087
I LOVE the ES7, with its sparkling, somewhat frontal highs, frontal mids and bass. I wanted to upgrade to something from the ES7 so I can get a superior can with the same sound signature. I was gonna try the ES9, but the fact that it is smooth is stopping me. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back