Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Nov 3, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #886 of 1,087
Through the Tomahawk via the Edirol UA-25 out of my current notebook, the lil' guy controls the upper end of the music and tightens the bass that little bit more. Very complimentary with the ESW9 I feel due to the mids on these 'phones

But I have been enjoying the ESW9 out of the 4G Nano just fine without an amp. Amazing headphone

Isolation test: 4G Nano + ESW9 + Public transport =???

Made a trip to Apple store in Regent Street to buy a new bag for my impending Aluminium Macbook
jecklinsmile.gif

On the street: Walking to the station and mingling in central London shopping I could still hear traffic and horn beeps in the background. Not a bad thing though - the UM2s block most things out save emergency vehicle sirens and when crossing the road the ESW9 helps you to have your wits about you. Could be a life saver vs my IEMs
tongue.gif
Traffic noise more akin to listening to a relaxation tape in the background at home.
Also when I was asked for my railcard at Waterloo station I could hear the request without taking off the headphones but yet I was not overly distracted from the music. 8/10

On the overground train: I could still hear the rolling of the wheels in the background and slightly muffled messages over the tannoy, but not intruding too much into the music I feel 7/10

On the London underground: Forget it. Waiting on the platform it is fine. But when the train rolls along and you are sitting inside it is too much. Volume was already on 75% and rather than risk damaging my hearing I just turned off my iPod. The woman opposite seemed happy with her iBuds though. 2/10

P.S. You will get a lot of looks your way wearing these. Be sure not to confuse it with that kind of 'good' attention
biggrin.gif
, as sadly I think its just the fact these are made of wood and look stylish yet minimalist at the same time due to their small compact portable nature

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #887 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Through the Tomahawk via the Edirol UA-25 out of my current notebook, the lil' guy controls the upper end of the music and tightens the bass that little bit more. Very complimentary with the ESW9 I feel due to the mids on these 'phones

But I have been enjoying the ESW9 out of the 4G Nano just fine without an amp. Amazing headphone

Isolation test: 4G Nano + ESW9 + Public transport =???

Made a trip to Apple store in Regent Street to buy a new bag for my impending Aluminium Macbook
jecklinsmile.gif

On the street: Walking to the station and mingling in central London shopping I could still hear traffic and horn beeps in the background. Not a bad thing though - the UM2s block most things out save emergency vehicle sirens and when crossing the road the ESW9 helps you to have your wits about you. Could be a life saver vs my IEMs
tongue.gif
Traffic noise more akin to listening to a relaxation tape in the background at home.
Also when I was asked for my railcard at Waterloo station I could hear the request without taking off the headphones but yet I was not overly distracted from the music. 8/10

On the overground train: I could still hear the rolling of the wheels in the background and slightly muffled messages over the tannoy, but not intruding too much into the music I feel 7/10

On the London underground: Forget it. Waiting on the platform it is fine. But when the train rolls along and you are sitting inside it is too much. Volume was already on 75% and rather than risk damaging my hearing I just turned off my iPod. The woman opposite seemed happy with her iBuds though. 2/10

P.S. You will get a lot of looks your way wearing these. Be sure not to confuse it with that kind of 'good' attention
biggrin.gif
, as sadly I think its just the fact these are made of wood and look stylish yet minimalist at the same time due to their small compact portable nature

wow, great..this is exactly the info that I was looking for. Also your comparison with the um2 is very helpful.

Looks that these headphones can be a perfect compromise between outdoor and indoor (at office) performance.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #888 of 1,087
Got mine precisely for non-Ampedness. Sounds great out of my D2.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #890 of 1,087
With the impedance spec, these headphones don't need to be amped.

But to get the full value that these offer, they sound better with a quality portable or home amp.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #891 of 1,087
What would you recommend? I reckon my bet is safe on the P 51-Mustang...just have to wait a bit longer
ph34r.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the impedance spec, these headphones don't need to be amped.

But to get the full value that these offer, they sound better with a quality portable or home amp.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #892 of 1,087
WOW, I heard people are saying ESW9 needs 100 burn in hours...thats quite demanding for a portables hey...I thought I could hear a change in 30 hours or something...

I realized that people tend to use files like Applelossless, WAV, etc to do the burnin process...

Is that very neccessary? will the SQ become bad if one always use it with MP3s?

Thanks for the INFO.

P.S. it will be awesome if someone can suggest a website for headphone burnin...

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #894 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realized that people tend to use files like Applelossless, WAV, etc to do the burnin process...

Is that very neccessary? will the SQ become bad if one always use it with MP3s?

I gave my ESW9s about 1000 hours! Listened during the day[after burning-in exclusively for 50 hours] then continued burning-in overnight for a few months.

Pink Noise is only buzzing, so I'd say mp3 is okay, but it is only going to be a few 100MBs.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #896 of 1,087
Yeah, contact me. Just $400!

...I'll even burn them in for you.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #897 of 1,087
Is there anything between the ES7 and ESW9? it seems to be a large price gap. ($150 AUD and $459 AUD) for the same portable style, i know there are other ATH but too heavy i think.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #898 of 1,087
I find that Big Band offers full range and is excellent for burn-in. I use Count Basie. Lot's of bass and great peak crescendos.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #899 of 1,087
thinking about getting the esw9 after the holidays since i'm tight on money now... but i had a few questions

i'm currently using grado sr325i's as my open hp and equation rp-21's as my closed hp. i'm looking to replace my rp-21's with something more portable to wear for my commute to school. canalphones/iems just seem a bit too uncomfortable to me. would the esw9's be a good choice to replace the rp-21's? as a reference, i love the grado sound signature but would prefer a little more bass

i was also looking at the es7's but i read that they're not so great. as a portable 'on-the-go' setup, which is better, es7 or esw9? i'll probably use my sr325i's as my main home hp and the es7/esw9 for my commute and the library. is the esw9 worth the 2x+ price tag? thanks!

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #900 of 1,087
Grrr...the headband on my pair just broke right at the earpiece hinge. That's pretty disappointing since these are only used at the office--meaning very lightly--so the plastic they chose for this piece is obviously pretty cheap for a headphone in this price range.

Will have to see how easy it is to get parts for these...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back