Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Mar 16, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #616 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The good news is that there is sometihng on their sound signature that reminds me to the R10s.

Of course they don't have the detail or the soundstage of the R10s, but they have a very "romantic" sound that touches everything you play on them, kind of "polishing rough edges". Most music sounds very enjoyable (I'm not liking Angel from Massive Attack, playing right now, though. A tad confusing).

I wouldn't call it a high-end can but it is one that makes music really enjoyable and considering the whole package is a good value. Besides, if you get upgraditis you can always keep it for portable purposes.

As the PX100 (especially the first model, with copper coil) was giving you a glimpse of the sound signature of the HD650, this one gives you a glimpse of the sound signature of the R10.

that's interesting. so you think the ESW9 would be good for classical. also, what headphone in your opinion, if any, comes closest to the R10.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #617 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's interesting. so you think the ESW9 would be good for classical. also, what headphone in your opinion, if any, comes closest to the R10.

Vcoheda, the ESW9s are good for some classical, like chamber music and some choral works, but I haven't found them that great for orchestral pieces. Because they have a slightly full, warm sound, and tend to congest a bit in the lower mids and bass, I haven't really liked them for complex music. They don't sound bad, but all my other headphones sound better. But then again, the ESW9s are small, closed, headphones. I wasn't expecting them to sound as good as my home headphones, but I wasn't expecting them to sound as good as they do. Considering their size and purpose, they give me exactly what I was looking for when I bought them and are still my new favs.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #618 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vcoheda, the ESW9s are good for some classical, like chamber music and some choral works, but I haven't found them that great for orchestral pieces. Because they have a slightly full, warm sound, and tend to congest a bit in the lower mids and bass, I haven't really liked them for complex music. They don't sound bad, but all my other headphones sound better.

Totally agree with this.

Vcoheda, I never found a headphone really similar to the R10s (The imaging of the MDR-CD3000 reminded me to the R10 to some extent but the sound signature was different and not euphonic).
In the electrostatic world, the SR-Omegas would be the closest thing. Sometimes the SR-Omegas remind me a bit to the R10s in some passages but I wouldn't call them similar either.

Still, I want to be quite clear on this. In soundstage and detail the R10s are miles ahead so I don't want for people to think that the ESW9s are "portable R10s". The are not. But they share some some sonic treats, and both have a euphonic, romantic sound. A bit of "paper cone" one, if you know what I mean. Very enjoyable.

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #620 of 1,087
Got them from Bluetin. Ordered on Sunday Evening. At home that same Thursday Morning (and it could have been Wednesday, as DHL made a mistake and sent them to the wrong depot in UK on Wednesday).

I was expecting customs (I paid lots on customs for headphones over the years) and Bluetin stated on website that with DHL I would had 100% chance to be charged. I didn't care much, I was in a hurry. But it wasn't the case. And the declared value wasn't that cheap, as I ordered 6 headphones on that order (a couple of ES9W among other ones). This has been the first and only time I didn't have to pay custom fees in UK.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #621 of 1,087
Last night I had a guest sleeping over and I was asked about the ESW9s that were on sight. After a brief chat about headphones my friend tried some of my dynamic headphones (electrostatic setups would take time to fully warm-up). We tried ESW9s, PS-1, L3000, Qualia and R10 among others with "By the way" from Red Hot Chili Peppers (a request from my friend). My friend said that PS-1s were number one but number two was... ESW9s over all the other ones!!

Not that I agree, and this was only for a moment with just a song but still it's refreshing that people can choose nice headphones over high-end ones, regardless of price and reputation. In the end it's about to choose the one you enjoy the most at that moment. I sometimes have long and wonderful sessions with headphones not considered Tier 1 for most people here. I don't care.

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #622 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night I had a guest sleeping over and I was asked about the ESW9s that were on sight. After a brief chat about headphones my friend tried some of my dynamic headphones (electrostatic setups would take time to fully warm-up). We tried ESW9s, PS-1, L3000, Qualia and R10 among others with "By the way" from Red Hot Chili Peppers (a request from my friend). My friend said that PS-1s were number one but number two was... ESW9s over all the other ones!!

Not that I agree, and this was only for a moment with just a song but still it's refreshing that people can choose nice headphones over high-end ones, regardless of price and reputation. In the end it's about to choose the one you enjoy the most at that moment. I sometimes have long and wonderful sessions with headphones not considered Tier 1 for most people here. I don't care.

Ok, not to offend you but it may be time to get another impression. Since I can't come the UK right now its ok to send a couple of those high enders and I will give you some very honest feedback. Hey, why not two opinions? :^)

I have corresponded with two people that have both of the top Sony phones. One doesn't like the Qualia at all and prefers the R10 by far and the other prefers the Qualia to his R10's (how are you guys able to have both?). So I ask, which do you prefer or do you?

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #623 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my ATH-ESW9's at Audiocubes on 8th St. in NYC.

same here! AC Gears (the audiocubes NYC store) is the ****! I work right around the corner at NYU. I hear they are soon going to be stocking USB flash drives inside lego bricks, I'm so getting one!

for anyone interested, I put up a little review of the ESW9s here.

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #624 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have corresponded with two people that have both of the top Sony phones. One doesn't like the Qualia at all and prefers the R10 by far and the other prefers the Qualia to his R10's (how are you guys able to have both?). So I ask, which do you prefer or do you?

Sorry I can't help you here. I like both equally. It's all about the kind of music and my mood at a that moment.

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #625 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same here! AC Gears (the audiocubes NYC store) is the ****! I work right around the corner at NYU. I hear they are soon going to be stocking USB flash drives inside lego bricks, I'm so getting one!

Nice review, do they actually come with extension cord and 1/8 to 1/4 adapter?

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #627 of 1,087
Quote:

Wondering where did you get this information, do you actually have these phones?
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd
These also came with a cable extension, a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, and a carrying pouch with a draw string.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #629 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ESW9 came with a pouch but there is no included adapter.

Mine too. He probably just purchased them separately at the same time from AC store.

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #630 of 1,087
Does audiocubes have any pairs on the floor for trying out? I'm really starting to consider getting a pair of these over the hd-25's.

Still, $310 list price at ac is pretty expensive (not to mention NY sales tax).

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back