Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Mar 10, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #586 of 1,087
Thanks Xenohawk for your message, I guess I am going to buy them. As I am going to order them from Japan, I will probably also order a pair of CK7. Anyone has any good experience with the latter?

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #587 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen to small combo jazz or classical the ATH-ESW9 would be a nice match. Like slwiser stated if you are into rock, hip hop, or blues then look else ware.

Say what now? They shine brighter than ever with any type of rock. And do just fine with hiphop also. But to say that one should look elsewhere if they're to listen to rock? O_O That was the main reason to me buying them in the first place. ESW9 were made for rock, the more complex the better.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #588 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Say what now? They shine brighter than ever with any type of rock. And do just fine with hiphop also. But to say that one should look elsewhere if they're to listen to rock? O_O That was the main reason to me buying them in the first place. ESW9 were made for rock, the more complex the better.

How different are they from the D2000?

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #589 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We all have different ears! For rock I grab a Grado.
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #590 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all have different ears! For rock I grab a Grado.
wink.gif

What, not HFI-780?
Why, I thought you like them for that genre?
confused.gif

BTW, speaking of headphones for different types of music, I personally 100% with Skylab on that.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3498157-post195.html
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you like them.

And not to be a jerk, but I have never understood the notion that a headphone (or any audio device) is good for one type of music but not another. To me, a headphone will be capable, to whatever degree, of reproducing sound well (or not). As such, it should serve all kinds of music as well as it is capable.

I think the ESW9's sound terrific with rock. No, not as good as my home cans, but very good nonetheless.

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #591 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you like them.

And not to be a jerk, but I have never understood the notion that a headphone (or any audio device) is good for one type of music but not another. To me, a headphone will be capable, to whatever degree, of reproducing sound well (or not). As such, it should serve all kinds of music as well as it is capable.

I think the ESW9's sound terrific with rock. No, not as good as my home cans, but very good nonetheless.

A good amp or speakers or headphones should do what they are intended to do, amplifier and act as a transducer regardless of what music there is. Sound waves are sound waves and speed of delivery and recovery should not garner support of one type of music or the other in a balanced correctly done system. I have heard this and if something is slanted as to somehow benefit one type of music it generally doesn't sound all that good after a while. Give it to me straight up. If it good with "sound" it is good with anything.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #592 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good amp or speakers or headphones should do what they are intended to do, amplifier and act as a transducer regardless of what music there is. Sound waves are sound waves and speed of delivery and recovery should not garner support of one type of music or the other in a balanced correctly done system. I have heard this and if something is slanted as to somehow benefit one type of music it generally doesn't sound all that good after a while. Give it to me straight up. If it good with "sound" it is good with anything.

I agree with this philosophy, but not everyone can comprehend the idea that if their music sounds bad with a good headphone, it's probably because the music is bad...

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #594 of 1,087
Quote:

AMEN, brother. I knew I liked you
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #595 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAT ?!?!?!?! are you serious ?!?!?
AC hasnt shipped your ESW9 yet ? for 2 weeks ???
OMG !!! I have ordered from AC too. oh my gosh do i have to wait that long ? -_-

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxBoxBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys should order from e-bay, I bought my pair less than a week ago and it's already arrived from Japan

I wanted to do just that,but my wife (who pays for all these lovely toys) said NO way...
redface.gif

edit:

This expirience has made me look at the sponsors on here,in a different light.Well some of them anyway.

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #596 of 1,087
Got my ESW9's yesterday after being shipped last wed and I live very rural (from Bluetin) Burning in right now...and they sound fine for rock. I used them last night to watch HDTV...RAVE channel had a 2006 concert with Feist and she rocked some of her songs more so than on her CD's. the mids need to open up some but overall a very nice Headphone.

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #597 of 1,087
Hey, so I plan on getting a pair of these. I'll be in Japan in June, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to get them while I'm there, or would that be a risk? I'm getting the Ultrasone 780 first, either way, I think. I heard that they're significantly cheaper in Japan...

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #598 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, so I plan on getting a pair of these. I'll be in Japan in June, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to get them while I'm there, or would that be a risk? I'm getting the Ultrasone 780 first, either way, I think. I heard that they're significantly cheaper in Japan...

They are complimentary to each other as well. Good selection to get different sounds. I have owned both at the same time.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #599 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, not HFI-780?
Why, I thought you like them for that genre?
confused.gif

BTW, speaking of headphones for different types of music, I personally 100% with Skylab on that.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3498157-post195.html

They do, but I hardly ever listen to rock.
eek.gif
When I said I use the RS-1 is a joke since 95%+ of my music is Jazz, New Age, or Classical. I guess I have to add "joke telling" to the "I suck at" category.
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #600 of 1,087
Quote:

I have to disagree with the common feeling about this issue on this thread. While it is true that if a phone is great for a genre it won't be that bad at other it is true that some headphones are more suitable for a certain genre. Unfortunately the perfect headphone doesn't exist. All have trades and depending on the genre, one of these trades can be a showstopper or not.

For example: R10 has a great soundstage that make it great for classical (specially big romantic orchestras), and their great mids/highs make them great for female vocal voices too. A similar thing can be said for the K1000.

The L3000 doesn't have that soundstage and doesn't work as great as those for classical but PRaT and bass is great for most pop and rock and the intimate soundstage and full warm sound make them great for most jazz too.

The bass, impact and slam of PS-1 make them great for hip-hop although L3000 is very good here too. Still, I'm not saying that PS-1 can't do other things but soundstage is not very impressive and classical is not great on them.

The surgical detail of the Qualias make them great for Electronica, especially when you try to follow very complex one with lots of "threads" and "tracks" on the music going on there at the same time. However, they are somehow a bit cold for intimate vocal and acoustic genre (still quite good most of the time though).

I could go on and on for some other headphones but I think you get the idea. Is not that those phones are crap at any style apart from their "ones" (actually they can be very good at them) but it is undeniable that most headphones are especially good in some genres, based on their sonic treats.

Anyway... I was curious about these phones and I ordered a couple of ESW9 headphones from Bluetin last Sunday, among some others. DHL was saying they are already in UK soil so it won't take long for me to try them. I'll let you know how I feel about them. As catscratch was saying, I have been waiting for something quite good on this style of phones and I'll give them a chance. Sometimes I get a bit tired of the UE10s (they are great but a bit intrusive for me) and I use PS-1s or Qualia instead for portable. PS-1 is foldable and works great for hotels. Qualia are nice for walks as they are light and not that bulky, although too microphonic. Besides, I care too much about my phones so I can only use them for portable in "ideal" conditions. I hope ESW9 can help here a bit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back