Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Feb 17, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #511 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my ATH-ESW9's at Audiocubes on 8th St. in NYC.

Did they have them in stock when you purchased them ? I'm just wondering if thats the case,if I could just phone them on Monday,and order with a visa card over the phone...
confused.gif

Great pics Wildsurfer !! Well done !

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #512 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did they have them in stock when you purchased them ? I'm just wondering if thats the case,if I could just phone them on Monday,and order with a visa card over the phone...
confused.gif

Great pics Wildsurfer !! Well done !

They definitely did have em in stock. Raelamb had a pair in his hands the same day he got the recommendation for em (or at least the next day, don't remember quite perfectly).

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #514 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone post pics of the headphones on their head?

m4.jpg

This is not me =].

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #515 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildsurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It looks like they're making babies, I wonder what their offspring would sound like ^^

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #516 of 1,087
I got the demo pair which were the last ones in stock. I notice now when you go to Audiocubes website it now lists the ESW9's as "website only". I'll go over and look on Tuesday and report back. I work only 6 blocks away
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #517 of 1,087
Ordered them on Friday and got them the following Wednesday from Price-japan (EMS), pretty fast IMO. My initial impressions on these cans: they are frickin sexy, bassier than any of my other headphones, and sound good with this Daft Punk's Alive cd I'm listening to right now. My left ear gets uncomfortable after some hours, and I wouldn't want to use these to listen to classical music but beyond that they are excellent.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #518 of 1,087
I called Audiocubes a few weeks ago about picking up a pair from their shop and was told they didn't carry them in store because they weren't a big seller. That same day they changed there website from "website & in-store" to "website only."

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #519 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my ATH-ESW9's at Audiocubes on 8th St. in NYC.

Ok,you actually bought them in the brick and mortar store ?
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They definitely did have em in stock. Raelamb had a pair in his hands the same day he got the recommendation for em (or at least the next day, don't remember quite perfectly).

Cool to know,I still dont understand why people cant just walk in off the street,and buy them...Nor why we cant upgrade our shipping options above 4 - 7 day EMS....
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdubyas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I called Audiocubes a few weeks ago about picking up a pair from their shop and was told they didn't carry them in store because they weren't a big seller. That same day they changed there website from "website & in-store" to "website only."

What about (shipping) insurance ? It may sound crazy,but for me,the idea of tossing them 300+ USD for cans and then having them arrive crushed or broken is not my idea of fun...
redface.gif
On the site there is no option other then USPS 7day,and also,no option for shipping insurance.
eek.gif
WTH ?

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #520 of 1,087
I've listened to these cans for about four weeks now, and I've got mixed feelings about them. They look absolutely beautiful and they fit really nice too, very comfortable even when worn continuously for more than four hours.

At first I was quite amazed by the big soundstage and the high amount of detail it could produce. The bass was also very impressive, deep and accurate.

But now, I think that these cans are lacking in treble, or, there is too much bass in proportion to treble. Also, when listening to orchestral music, it's a bit like the orchestra is playing inside a heavily dampened hall, everything sounds very muffled, especially at loud passages. When listening to sparsely scored quiet passages or chamber music, however, the sound is quite nice, very detailed and spacious and not 'cavernous' at all.

Maybe this 'cavernous sound' has something to do with the wooden earpieces? These are my first 'woodies' so I can't tell if that has something to do with it. I certainly don't remember my ES7 having this strange coloration, but I haven't listened to them since I got the ESW9.

I'm tempted to buy a pair of AKG-K271S and see if these are more to my taste. Has anyone done a comparison between the ESW9 and the K271S?

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #521 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by oematoema /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm tempted to buy a pair of AKG-K271S and see if these are more to my taste. Has anyone done a comparison between the ESW9 and the K271S?

I will in the coming weeks.I will be ordering the ESW9's this aft,and the AKG's tomorrow morning.As soon as they get here I'll report back.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #522 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will in the coming weeks.I will be ordering the ESW9's this aft,and the AKG's tomorrow morning.As soon as they get here I'll report back.

Without some serious amplification don't even bother with K271S.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #524 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks malos, are they supra aural for large ears?

I've seen them sit like that on someone's head (so that they are supra-aural).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back